Here to help
Coronavirus update

3M Employee Reviews

South Africa20 reviews
5,0
3M has a rich culture of professional staff and quality products , understanding the requirements of cost effective products , balancing with quality. 3M is a market leader in quality.
3,0
Poor bridging between departments mostly operating as induvidual Sylos.
Objectives and goals by internal departments were not aligned with the sales departments to achieve overal sales targets and goals. Top management in most cases are all accountants with very little or no knowledge of the industry and requirement required to operate in selected market segments. support bydepartments in maintaining market share and growth in most cases was non existant therfore making it impossible for sales teams to achieve KPI and set objectives
5,0
It’s been a turning point in my career joining 3M, 9 years of great career progress and development.
Innovative culture and leadership.

It’s my dream to rejoin 3M in Canada.
4,0
Enjoyed working at 3M, it's a learning environment, getting a chance for career growth. the company offers a development opportunity and able to assist in future endeavor
5,0
The Global company is very focused on new and innovative products and are leaders in most of the categories they work in.
A typical day at work could involve skype calls to all different people around the globe.They seek to involve all employees, and courses are offered continuously to improve employees skills.

Remuneration and commisions are very competitive
Pros
Very employee focused
3,0
A typical day at work requires careful planning and prioritisation in order to meet the demand and requirements across departments.
3M is a very diverse company with a wide range of medical devices.

I learnt about products outside of the pharmaceutical range of products.

There was very little management involvement due to limited expertise in the area of pharmaceuticals by management giving me full autonomy to manage the department.

Workplace culture was friendly and collaborative most of the time with flexibility.

The hardest part of the job was working with sales and marketing staff with very limited knowledge about the requirements for pharmaceutical products.

The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with a challenging environment.The QA and RA systems needed to be established, implemented and maintained as per cGMP for cGMP. The learning experience with Medical Devices and requirements as well as working on the Establishment License Application project.
Pros
An excellent self learning experience.
Cons
Long hours of hard work
4,0
A typical day for me would be setting up 6-8 appointments per day with focus customers(dentists) with specific objectives at these calls. We use a comprehensive CRM system which forms a integral part i.t.o of managing customers , territories , campaigns etc. My roles allowed me to manage my own time & territories applying strategic initiatives to grow my business. We have a very supportive culture from senior management right down to members of the sales team.
The most challenging part of my job would be to maintain a good work life balance as it is mostly a case of being online 6 days a week to ensure all data is captured to ensure our systems function optimally.

The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that there is always a new surprise or situation waiting to be addressed in the form of competition , new technology and having good tools to be able to respond effectively.
Pros
Afforded a high degree of independence and flexi time
Cons
Multiple processes & endless red tape in all areas of work
4,0
Mainly Sales and technical training; the company did in-house training in many fields which was great; management where supportive for training ; getting called out at night to assist on breakdowns and to do training
Pros
Traveled a great deal
Cons
no cons
5,0
3M is a company that values its employees and makes the workplace enjoyable. They promote balance between work and home.

They promote study and skills enhancement.
Pros
Sports and recreational facilities
5,0
Dynamic team spirit entrenched by management, all employees of the organisation where people are not employees but team members Excellent workplace i.e.
Pros
Canteen at workplace
Cons
It was too short a stay for me
4,0
Great place to work. The people there are always willing to assist. There is always room for growth and make your way up the corporate ladder. Lovely premises
Pros
Growth
5,0
I was starting out my career here. I learned a lot but the mainframe was on its way out, the team was almost all going on pension and the IT was controlled from St Paul in the States. It was not much fun.
Pros
I learned a lot on the mainframe AS400 side of things
Cons
There was not much training and skills development
Work from 08H00 to 16H30
Learned a lot from 3M. Done computer courses and refreshment courses on a regular interval. Learned how to conduct meetings with responsibility set at time of the meetings. Also target set and aiming for the prescribe targets and to achieve these targets. Management was tough , but fair . Co workers has basically work hard and also play together socially. The hardest part was to travel on the N3 from Alberton to Woodmead on a daily basis and the traffic not the best in the time travelled to be on time at work.The most enjoyable part of the job was when you complete a tasked successfully.
Pros
Canteen, Commission, Yearly breaks/vacation, reasonabilty salary, pension fund and Medical aid.
Cons
Travel to work in peak ours not so nice.
4,0
There is a lot of interaction with business, hardest part would be is to get the same standard of think across. There is a lot of policies and procedure which everyone has to review and still they don't always follow them. Training, a few people keep on leaving the company
Pros
flexi hours
Cons
you have to overcompensate for others inafficiencies
5,0
Uma excelente empresa para se trabalhar.
Apoio aos funcionarios.

Oportunidades
3,0
My day starts out by completeing all queries i could not finish the previous day due to what ever constraints.I would then ensure all orders processed are released so they can be picked and invoiced for delivery.I also raise daily back order reports to my key accounts which i email to them.Myself and my collegues will also ensure that all our reports are completed on a daily basis.The difficulty i have is when a price is not loaded on a given contract which now delays the order.The most enjoyable part is having a satisfied customer thank me for my excellent service.
Pros
Recognition in the form of cash at the end of that given month
Cons
out of stock situations which leads to irrate customers.
5,0
Worked very hard, but well rewarded.
I learned so much - I don't know where to start! e-Business; AS400; Lotus Notes; Networking; Project Management; Six Sigma;

I managed a team of 7 employees.

My co-workers were everyone in the company - being involved in computer support and training meant you dealt with everyone in the company, from the top to the newbies.

The hardest part of the job was getting all the work done, so overtime was generally the norm.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with, along with my job content - which I loved!
Pros
So many opportunites
Cons
Politics
4,0
It has been a very long and interesting 22 years journey, growing from a junior to senior position, and growing from a young girl into a mature lady. I went through so many changes with the company, including retrenchments, restructuring, closing down of manufacturing, outsourcing manafacturing, moving premises, re-opening of manufacturing, opening of new 3M subsidiaries in Africa, losing colleagues, gaining new friends, laughing and crying with colleagues, some becoming life long friends... and the list is never ending. The hardest part of the job was often not having a back up, and having to handle crisises single handed. I found the most enjoyable part was that I was able to demonstrate my skills, and being the only person within the large organization who understood the export business, I was always considered an important person and in the lime light.
4,0
Office hours are from 8am to 5pm, however my day started as early as 6:30pm. Being early assisted me in being pro-active as I would make sure that all IT Infrustracture and Applications are working, also get time to double check previous business days backup completed 100% without skipping any updated data.

Since 3M is a manufacturing company one had to effectively communicate IT technical issues, suggestions and sollutions to management. Like getting funds for server upgrades and introduction of latest applications that will assist in achieving business goals more efficiantly.

In my filed of work end-users can at times be difficult, hence one has to be very calm and put oneself in the users shoes. They are not IT technical, however some people just push to test how far they can get away with it.

With the introduction of new applications end-users have to be given basic training, dealing with users who always have excuses for not attending training can be streneuos and time consuming. The problematic users line manager is informed of such and measures are taken to get the user to attend.

Getting a thank you from someone after assisting always brought a smile to my smile and made me feel proud.
Pros
Recognition and reward
3,0
The experience gained within my current company and position is invaluable. I have definitely developed a progressive work ethic through effective time management due to the nature of work I am involved in. Ensuring the efficient and effective expedition of daily customer orders whilst simultaneoulsy attending to customer / client (internal & external) queries, complaints and the like can sometimes proove to be a dauting task, but keeping a cool and calm head at all times has ensured that I always maintain a high level of work intergrity
Pros
casual attire on fridays. approachable and friendly colleagues
Cons
re-curring problems ( out-of-stock situations, primarily)