Here to help
Coronavirus update

AIG Employee Reviews

South Africa25 reviews
4,0
Productive, Exposure to global operations and training globally
Flexible working hours

Opportunity to work international and in global markets

Collaborative leadership
5,0
I enjoyed working at AIG as i could balance my work and personal life. A healthy lifestyle was encouraged and the company allowed us time to have bootcamp classes after work at work premises, three times a week,which i thought was one of the cool perks that came with the fun part.

I also learned a lot and will always be grateful for the amount of experience the company afforded me.
4,0
Exciting company to work for , lots of application that we supported mostly i wokked with an excellent team that was always willing to put in an effort towards our Job.

The reason i let the company was because i was a contractor.
3,0
We were always worried about retrenchment, year in year out, a lot of manual work, ancient systems that makes it hard to produce quality work. Great international exposure
3,0
AIG is like a family. We had weekends off and publick hilidays too, had free lunches and working tjere was a geat pleasure. Work was done on time and a lot of new things to learn.
Pros
Team buildings, free lunch
Cons
8am - 5pm
5,0
It was a great pleasure working for this international company as I had a lot of exposure with international management, Africa country management. I arranged international flights, pick-ups and drop-offs. Arranged a number of social events and generally got on well with all level of management
Pros
Were given a monthly expense account to utilize in-house
Cons
Long hours but didn't mind due to world time differences
5,0
I am currently having fun gaining experience too while working we get enough time to rest and half days we also don't work on weekends and most of the time we meet our target as per requested by the manager and we serve client with dignity and honesty
Pros
free breakfast
Cons
flexible hours
3,0
I worked for a very short time at this company. The systems where old and room for to upgrade them was too limited.
My role was to manually run the debit order system on an outdated tool
Pros
Career Change
Cons
outdated systems
5,0
i received several awards as best claims handler at AIG.
I loved the company.

Stable and lots to learn.

I worked there for 5 years and left because of retrenchment. I was asked to come back and stayed in a temp position for another year.
Pros
Growth
4,0
AIG provides a safe place to learn, I found this to be the best training ground. the mutlinational company provides a lot of opportunity to move around.
Pros
Training and growth
Cons
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at AIG?
5,0
It's all about numbers and dead lines at AIG and reporting timeously to Managers regarding the progress for the day and plan of action to tackle each day as it comes with various challenges from Brokers and what is required of Business Development Managers and also the turn around times from SASRIA to Underwriting.

From Marine, Underwriting, SASRIA and Property I have learned at any given time it's all about customer satisfaction and turn around times. Great opportunities arises often and internal employees are able to get enough chance to move around and enhance their growth. Managers travel across the globe for meetings and or work shops to better the company operational issues as AIG is a global company.

There was no hardest part of the job, it just needed some one who embraces change at all times as the way of working changed often and had to adapt asap to new changes.

And the most enjoyable part of the job was to be given a chance in acquiring Underwriting Experience combined with Client Services / Broker Support and SASRIA Administration.

However, as I was on contract through a recruitment agency but placed at AIG on contract basis, I came to realise getting a permanent job internally is very difficult after attending 3 interview internally but without luck but yet one of the most or best performing individual within our Broker Support Department.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Paid For Overtime
5,0
Taking Calls from customers. I've learned to have patience. Great Management Team. A culture of team work was present all the time. Nothing hard about the job and I really enjoyed it.
Pros
Marathon days
Cons
No growth
5,0
really enjoyed working there. felt like you are apart of a family.
learned alot about insurance. hardest part of the job was having to turn down claims that was not covered in insurance policy.
Pros
being productive
5,0
Working hours were superb, no weekends or public holidays, colleges were great to work with, lovely enviroment.

There is lots to learn in different areas.
Pros
Telephone, laptops, lunches
Cons
No development, lack in managment skills
5,0
Preparing New business quotes and renewal assessments in line with AIG Guidelines and capacities.Inter-acting with Risk Engineers regarding surveys to be conducted and Risk management status follow up on new and existing clients.Checking & signing off Placing slips & Policy wording in line with Guidelines.Attending to Broker queries.Placing Reinsurance in accordance with AIG guidelines and capacities.Uploading Pricing tools including Nat cat assessments on Swiss Re flood tool and Google earth.Checking and signing off Premium allocations.Attending to Credit control queries with Finance.Attending to claims queries.Prepare referral documentation to Product Heads in Global countries for additional capacities and approvals.Motivate ,train , lead & mentor Junior UW's on team objectives and overall business goals.
Global technology and operating systems.Highly motivated management teams. Highly motivated and empowered team players.Referrals to Product heads in New York Philadelphia, Chicago, London and Dubai was the most challenging part of my job. Learning different global outlook on product underwriting and guidelines was the most enjoyable.
Pros
Company benefits, Incentive Bonus
Cons
Long hours, continuous Global changes in
5,0
Supportive management locally and internationally. Good benefits. Good team spirit among my colleagues. High targets set but can be reachable.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company
4,0
International company with great opportunities
Get to work with people from across the world with diverse cultures and experience

Travel opportunities
5,0
I enjoy working because i love what i do and i love speaking to clients enjoy helping them and listen to there stories.
i learn is very important to listen to people and speak less and have empathy and tolerance. Management is great but mainly my team leader is fantastic,understanding, loving and caring for his team, he make you fill like you are part of a family and supportive. My co-workers are very great we support each other in good time and bad times, i can say these are my family are have in South Africa. The hardest part of the job is selling something intangible and selling to someone you cannot see. The most enjoyable part of the job is reaching target and been rewarded for my hard work.
Pros
Free Lunch, Free Vouchers, Free Holiday with family etc
Cons
Medical Aid
. Hectic, deadlines
. Customer comes first - must be updated on progress of claim

. Helpful colleagues

. Dealing with difficult clients

. Happy clients
Pros
Training
Cons
Inequality
5,0
Insurance is a cut throat industry , daily duties involved me , doing Quality checks on all sales calls that all legalities were met
Pros
short hours
3,0
Coordinating calendars, meeting , parking etc. Assist with Adhoc duties for a team of about 60.
Pros
Company phone and laptop, perks
Cons
No Growth opportunity
Ask a question about working or interviewing at AIG. Our community is ready to answer.
Based on 3 820 reviews