ABSA BANK LIMITED

ABSA BANK LIMITED Employee Reviews

South Africa130 reviews
4,0
I enjoyed working at absa as I gained more experience. Just team work was not there at all times but I manage to co operate with the situation. I also develop in working under pressure. I started as a teller but I ended up as a Treasury clerk doing Atms as well. So I manage to learn Atms, Treasury and business Teller.I learned to take instructions as it is and not argue and stay positive in every situation.
Pros
No lunch in busy days
Cons
Long hours with a Saturday
5,0
At my place of work, we operate in an open planned floor. Where staff and managers, are all easily accessible to each other. There is a lot to learn, but once mastered, challenges lessen and it becomes boring, having to do the same thing over and over everyday.
Pros
Great location in relation to my family home (Auckland Park).
Cons
75% of the months work is all received during the last week of the month.
5,0
Working at Absa is stressful . I work at the student branch so dealing with study loans is a touchy subject. Over all very good company to work for staff become like family.
Pros
Paid for Saturday and overtime
Cons
Takes a while to grow with in Absa, it’s about who you know
4,0
I started with the old Trust Bank in 1976 and worked my way up the ranks untill my final position as Business Bank Manager in the Eastern Cape during 2001. Started as a clerk. Then after that promoted to : Sub Manager , Assistant Manager, Manager New Business Developement , Branch Manager of Trust Bank Newton Park , and finally ABSA Business Banking Manager Eastern Cape .
Pros
Bonuses; Share allocations
Cons
Long Houers
4,0
With Absa starting of as Allied and United Bank then became part of ABSA and then became part of Barclays it became challenging at times as there was always new developments and new challenges, ABSA is always according to me about change, for the better offcourse. Always looking for ways to save money, and work smarter not harder, but at the same time make it easy for the Client to bank with them. Hardest part of the Job is sometimes workload pressure and trying to fit all into one day, as a lot of the Job is time limited, meaning a lot of days you would work longer than the required hours in order to finish your job. Most enjoyable part of the job was when I could assist a fellow Colleague in teaching them something new, or assisting an unhappy client, sorting out their Query and leaving behind a happy client that is satisfied with the service. In this environment it is important to be able to work in a team at times and as a strong individual at times.
Pros
Recognition for hard work in various ways
Cons
Long hours at times and Clients can be challenging at times as well, testing your patience to the extreme.
4,0
Always busy, shortage of staff and always take short lunches Working under pressure Fair Work comes first not balancing Not balancing Foreign exchange Customer service
Pros
Company benefits
Cons
Work under pressure, shortage of staff
4,0
Absa, like other financial institutions is highly regulated and rigid because it has to adhere to legislative requirements. Irrespective of compliance, it is an interesting organisation to work for with many growth opportunities if you are hardworking. Their skills development courses were excellent. Although working hours were from 8, many choose to start earlier to get through the day's work - so did I and worked late to ensure deadlines are met. Most times this was appreciated, other times it may be taken for granted as the norm. this impacted work/life balance. The hardest part was trying to satisfy customers/stakeholders (internally), especially when there is only one of you in the region. e.g. Regional Communications Manager. I experienced power struggles, personality clashes among colleagues that at times negatively impacted the culture. This was not dominant though. One could still thrive and progress and achieve. Absa invested in its people. I enjoyed the variety of tasks within my various portfolios. I count myself fortunate to have been granted all the opportunities to build my career over the 23 years.
Pros
Career prospects, skills development, experience
Cons
Workload, lack of support at times
4,0
In light of my knowledge and experience in Banking and Customer service, I feel I would be a good asset to the company. I have put measures in place to easily assist me in identifying possible fraudulent activities through the monitoring of accounts. I am a dependable individual. I always put the customer’s needs first, willing to go the extra mile for all customers. I am reliable, always looking for ways to improving customer service and I have earned a reputation as a creative problem solver. The opportunity presented here excites me. My substantial experience will help me to know how to approach similar situations. I am not afraid to seek advice relating to the job role and accept criticism from others to help me grow. One of my major strengths is my ability to work hard and I work well individually and in a team. Once I make a decision to accomplish something, it gets done and to the best of my ability I bring an additional quality that makes me the best person for the job because of my passion for excellence. I am committed to producing truly world class results and customer service.
Pros
Work flexi hours.
Cons
Long hours at times.
1,0
Less staff and too much work and less salary late hours without pay you end up working in all fields not on your contract of which its not motivating because tge salary stays the same
Pros
Cons
Always
5,0
Everyday I have to put everything behind me and focus on the work that am doing and give my best at all times . The hardest part is when am balancing I have to make sure that each and everyday I balance.
Pros
Free coffee
4,0
My job is to solution clients with the right products, my day overall is to assist clients with there financial needs, solve enquiries they have. You learn something new every day as the sysem constantly chages. You just have to stay on track. TTelling a client he does not qualify for something.
4,0
A typical day work would include proceccesing payment and clients documents, book deals for clients, ensure documents are correct and signed by relevant parties I've received training on anti money laundering, sanctions, anti bribery and corruption. The hardest part was all the tests we had to take for anti money laundering and other training received The most enjoyable part were the team building activities
4,0
Best Company to work for. Able to grow within three months in the organisation.The company has many different department that one can be able to explore to and find your passion.
Pros
Growth within the company.
3,0
I have a problem with management who has an element of favoritism and lack of motivation for staff. I truly loved my job at Business Bank, but the level of favoritism was a bit too much to accept and deal with.
Pros
Bonuses a different times of the year were encouraging
Cons
Favouritism
4,0
Always a good feeling to assist clients and teach them new things. A great environment to be in. As a company they really look after their employees well being and try by all means to assist where possible.
Pros
Free lunches
2,0
It is a fun and open environment, always busy trying to reach the desired target. Pressure on month ends. Working late night hours. Sometimes not taking lunch to put more time on the work
Pros
food offered only when working after 8PM
5,0
Good company with good benefit and productive company hard working and respect integrity good service. Study opportunity and time out for teambuilding and performance awards so it's a good company to work on left because of growth doing different work and continue with my studies
Pros
Overtime teambuilding and Christmas party
Cons
Normal hour
3,0
Provide assistance and guidance to staff within Retail and Business bank on requirements to the AML policy. Ensure that process and policy requirements are being adhered to. Adequate controls to be in place in complying with requirements. Ensure Quality assurance on all submissions prior to senior management signing
Pros
Staff rates on financing
Cons
Growth opportunities
4,0
assisting walk in clients with general bank enquiries, I’ve initiated and grew deeper with my skills because I’ve gotten used to working in a fast-paced environment and that had highly developed my ability to be good in planning, organizing and being focused when pressure arises. I carry out tasks in a thorough, precise manner and meet challenges head-on finding ways to effectively complete multiple tasks. Management have been helpful specially regarding my growth and seeing the potential in me. hardest past client's who come with queries that can't be solved. most enjoyable part is being able to assist wherever i can and having a client leave with a smile on their face.
5,0
Absa has been a great company to work for, The people worked with will always remain in my memories, Absa instilled a work ethic and values that made me who i am today. I reccommend working at absa.
Pros
Work culture
Cons
No cons, really was happy working there.
3,0
Going out to different places looking for new business, maintaining of existing clients .promoting of new product to clients meeting with different cultural people and clients and also colleagues. Working well with a team towards a Common goal which is reaching our targets and taking our company to the next level
Pros
Educational trainings