Absa Group Limited

Absa Group Limited Employee Reviews in Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape

Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape25 reviews

3,7Work-Life Balance

Found 25 reviews matching the searchSee all 1 243 reviews

It was tough but manageable

I learnt quite a lot while I was working there. I developed to be a better person. I now have gained experience when it comes to banking. I am confident that I will be able to work at any financial institution thanks to Absa

Bank Teller

This is the exciting and stressful environment,where you have to stay focussed at all times,and be able to calm down a stressed client on a polite way

Its a nice company with nice benefits that allows room for growth and allows you to be you. Yes there is stress but atleast you know you are getting paid for all the stressful times you had to endure. ABSA is the best

Great company to work

Fun to work for, best bank in South Africa. When I worked at Absa I was managing the entire branch staff (Sales consultants, Customer services and Tellers). Branch Audit was one of my main priority.

Going no where slowly!!!

I worked for 12 years in the same department I was passed over for all the promotions because I was not willing to be corrupt. Absa does not value the small person I was never seen and never appreciated that is why I left the institution. Plus the salary is pathetic... I can assure you the older more experienced staff get so much less the the staff starting out.... Does not make sense at all. This results in the person sitting there for 12 years training and mentoring people that will sit in the exact position with a bigger salary due to the "market related rate" at the time of their appointment. Salaries are never reviewed and reassessed accordingly to knowledge and years of employment. A disappointing truth ...

Pros

Name and status

Cons

No recognition, low salary

Fantastic learning curve

I was fortunate enough to be placed in such an amazing branch, with a strong and condusive work environment. I have met such amazing colleagues and I truly enjoyed my journey at Absa.

Pros

Amazing colleagues

Cons

Sometimes difficult clients

National arts festival and Department of justiceustice

National arts worked as cashier and supervisor . Department of justice I worked as accounting clerk doing the cash book that the receipt and payouts of maintenance and balancing with the general ledger.

Vibrant culture

Business is currently re-branding It has new leadership at the helm driving new strategic objectives This should take shape in the beginning of next year

Pros

Autonomy

Cons

Lack of collaboration

Flexible and hard work

Big company with a strong culture of being the best i whatever they do. This company focuses on the happiness of its staff and the set goals and targets.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Working material

not a fun place to work in the last couple of years. performance was not reconized

Day would start with a meeting to discuss goals for the day Ensure that tellers and inquiry staff are ready for the day Then the day start where clients will be seen by myself en also complaints attend to. At 12h00 i will check up on leads given to my by the tellers and inquiry staff and to discuss the quality there off. At the close off the day i will check that the tellers all balance and sign off the sheets and help if necessary where a teller does not balance There after i will meet with all the personnel to discuss the day and compliment the the member who gave the best leads that led to business i was also involved in the health and safety of the branch. i am not going to discuss management, but the culture was great and we worked well as a team. most enjoyable part was achieving my monthly targets and giving my clients a wow experiences and seeing them leave the bank happy

Pros

Worked with some awesome people

Cons

Input was not a;ways recognized and no scope for upward movement

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Absa Group Limited?

Definate Learning Curve

Absa is an ideal company to work for, Absa Trust exposes you to a side of life that is not known to most folk. You must be willing to learn in order to grow in this company.

Pros

A lot to learn

Cons

Your heart must be strong in handling some of the estates.

daily teambuilding meetings

Typical day at work included doing hundreds of transactions so constantly busy I have learedt that sometimes clients can be difficult and the only way to calm them down is if you are calm and sweet in response Management was biased The hardest part of the job was making sure to balance my cash flow at the end of each day and also doing the foreign exchange The most enjoyable part of the job was making a sad client smile

Pros

free lunches at times

Cons

no lunchbreak at times

Vibrant and fun working environment.

Client relationship and building relationship is integral part of this organisation.Management generally of high quality. Job rotation and product knowledge very important.

Easy to adjust in the company

On a daily basis I balance, control and manage cash float, dispense and receive physical cash, cheques and drafts, process and encash cheques, capture Transactions on the bank system, reconcile cash at the end of the day, guide customers to correctly complete transaction documents, identify sales leads and cross selling opportunities, portray a professional image and ensure personal appearance conforms. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with racist customers but I enjoy assisting those who are struggling to use the machines to do their daily banking

Pros

Free lunches whn it's busy, not open on Sunday

Cons

Unpaid overtime during weekdays

Had fun and lots of challenges daily

A typical day at work was normal during the month, learned new skills almost everyday. Management not always au fait with all branch procedures. Co workers are happy and a pleasure to work with, but as usual each workplace has its lazy people. Hardest day at work is when a client wants to see the manager, you on a long call with head office and 2/3 people waiting for you to assist them. When i satisfied an irate customer, that gave me great satisfaction.

Pros

We received incentive bonuses and absa rubies

Cons

Worked overtime voluntary

Day at work

Always be an half an hour at work make sure your work station is ready and all your admin is up to date. Then there is a meeting in the morning and after that is back to your work station. When the bank open you have to be ready to assist the clients and to be proud and professional at all time. I had to assist clients with any inquiry they had and to help them with the best possible way. Faxing, email documents to different departments. Had to make phone calls for clients, helping them at atm's. When the bank close we had to do admin work.

Pros

Exposure

Cons

Short stuff

proffessional environment

--assisting cusomers with their accounts and quiries --how the banking industry work --management was motivating and encouraging growth as well as well coaching when needed --lovely people to work with as well as team players --to be cousious all the time ,alert due to people commiting fraud and targeting staff --assisting a customer and resolving their quiries

Pros

flexible hours

Cons

being always alert and vigilant most of the time

Productive and great company to work for.

Promotes growth by identifying your strengths and provides support

There are lots of pros and a few snags

I enjoy using inniative and come up with solutions and applying them. This could be done on dealings with the client and you do come across stumbling blocks and finding ways around them. Co-workers were team mates and working together was always encouraged. Certain managers took up our time by reporting on issues on a too frequent occasion which did stutter workflows. Most enjoyable was putting deals together whilst I disliked admin functionalities yet it had to be done. As training was on going many areas were covered and learned from products to selling/negotiating to completing NQF 6 in 2012

Pros

Good Team environment

Cons

Too much time reporting leaving less time to your actual responsibilities at the work place

Brilliant organisation culture

Very demanding and needs to be pro-active and think out of the box at all times,be able to work under pressure and adjust to changes. At times I cannot predict how my day will look like irrespective of proper planning,full of suprise and quite challenging,for me it was exciting until a point i felt i need something new. I've learnt that I cannot do it alone,i need followers and it has to be a leader led approach.To apply values of the organisation at all times helped me in my journey.I also learnt that people are unique and the same blanket approach cannot be used,to be in a working enviroment it's a matter of tolerating and complementing each other with different skills. Management at times is not transparent and I hate the fact that you cannot be given an answer although it's a straight foward question and you will be painted as someone negative.That had an impact on staff not voicing out their opinoins. I like the fact that we were giving each other honnest and constructive feedback and that had to test your emotional intelligence,although it took time however that showed growth within the team. The hardest part of the job is when you are putting more efforts and you not getting the output or results,it's frustrating even if you are trying a different strategy still it does not work at times it's the saturation of the market and recession. Having fun whilst working together to achieve towards a common goal.

Pros

Entertainment on Fridays

Cons

work balance

comfortable, clean, fun, and productive workplace

It fun to work with people who know what they are hired for makes the job easy and enjoyable, and things gets done on time.

Pros

getting to attend events and meet people in high places

Cons

dealing with rude clients

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Absa Group Limited. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Based on 1 243 reviews