Allan Gray

Allan Gray Employee Reviews

South Africa20 reviews
4,0
AG give you the opportunities required to grow within your required space.
Performa well and you will be rewarded.

They allow you to learn and give you the freedom to adapt what you have learnt.
4,0
Working with smart alert individuals on a daily basis.
Employee supportive culture focusing on developing individuals.

Diverse range of individuals supported at many stages of their career.
Pros
Open door policy encouraged, small enough to have impact
Cons
Long hours, a little behind with work flexibility arrangements
2,0
Thoroughly enjoyed my time at AG. A great place to learn quickly and move even quicker. Values of the firm are practised throughout and adopted early on in your journey.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Lack of transformation
2,0
You may work long ours. No work life balance. Long hours at work. Fast paced and results driven. Value stats and numbers over human capital. DIsconnect.
5,0
Allan Gray is an excellent company with exceptional people and a great culture. It has established itself as a dominant force in the South African market.
3,0
This is a corporate company.

- Arrive at the office around 8 am

- Check emails and attend stand-up

- Perform daily analysis, dash-boarding or support the delivery of system implementation

- Attend or facilitate JAD sessions

- Stand-down at the end of the day
Pros
Great place to work, Ambitious company, Great benefits
Cons
Very slow career growth achieved
5,0
Allan Gray is an employer of choice. They invest in their staff - both staff and clients are their priority. I have never worked for a more amazing company. I would gladly work for them again!
5,0
I see myself as an internal consultant at work. I work on various projects at a time and I see the internal employees as my client. I work on several projects at a time and take them from analysis to implementation stage.

Allan Gray has moldered me into the authentic leader i am, through various courses as well as leading from example. I have had many influential managers that has shown me respect and how to achieve the most form employees.
Pros
I enjoy my role, I deal with great people and the organisation cares for its employees
Cons
Transparency among team is lacking.
3,0
If there is anything that stands out about the company it's the people. I know for a fact that I will struggle to find a set of coworkers who are as passionate and overall amazing at their jobs
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Unpaid Overtime
5,0
A high performance and competitive culture that rewards excellence and recruits young talent. A dynamic work environment that fosters growth and employee well being.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Allan Gray?
4,0
Daily stand ups. Rotating between ourselves on team management. Meetings with clients, user journey/story drafting. Dividing the work and coding solutions and daily check ins
3,0
Starting salary bracket for entry level positions have been the same for very long and not adjusted to inflation. The company environment is very competitive and you can go far if you apply yourself but live to work hard.
Pros
Free lunches
4,0
A typical day at work starts with me arriving at the office by 05:30am and beginning to catch up on our api health monitors, any merge requests put it, etc.

I have learnt an incredible amount since starting at Allan Gray. With leadership programs, and a mentor for the new employees, the transition is seamless.

Everyone is incredibly friendly and passionate about the work.

The difficult part if switching off when you leave the work place, as the work is often stimulating.
Pros
Lunch, large bonus, transport subsidy, training
3,0
Most graduates start of working in either the client service department (the call center), the life
department (retirement savings department) or the unit trust department.

The work being done in these three departments is very mundane, although it is quite challenging since

the workload can be quite intense and you are competing against several other graduates trying to

move to somewhere more exciting in the company. You will probably learn more by working at a different

company. Allan Gray would like to convince you that you learning a lot by staying with them, but

the truth is you will only be learning to capture the data of some other product. You will be a glorified

administrator with some fancy title, but you will still be doing administration work.

Allan Gray is a terrific company to work for IF you join as part of the institutional side of the business

or the investment team or something in the legal/risk/compliance or accounting or IT side of the business.

But joining client service or unit trust or life department will mean that you will work very hard and

learn limited skills that can be used outside of the administration side (glorified data capturing)

of the retail investment industry (which is really a boring industry for someone with ambition).

Do not make the mistake of thinking that by working in these three departments you will be able to

move into the investment team. Ananlysts for the investment team gets recruited from outside of the

company and it is very very competitive to get into the investment team.

Some positives are that the
 - more...
Pros
Free lunch, You will be working in the V&A Waterfront
Cons
You will be working very long hours, You will be a glorified data capture learning very little
5,0
I joined Allan Gray Pty Ltd as an intern. The company values its employees, one can see that staff aren't just seen as a resource to be utilised but as humans who have needs that need to be met in order to help boost their productivity. The company enjoys a very competitive environment and this means employees keep on their toes and learn to show initiative and go the extra mile in order to ensure a successful and progressive tenure within the company
Pros
Free lunches, in-house gym, educational opportunities
4,0
A typical day involves follow ups on client transactions and assisting advisers with information to give superior financial advice, which can range from been administrative to technical and generating various management reports from our systems. The best part of my day is when I get a problem solving scenario which I provide a solution to that leads to an adviser being able to provide the best service to their client. I enjoy these type of scenarios as I feel intellectually stretched and I also feel a sense of achievement in empowering someone. The hardest part of my day is having to send forms, statements and other documents which are readily available online.This means our financial advisers are not becoming self sufficient. This time could be use to focus on initiatives that have a more significant impact on the end client. My day is very real time and pressurised, but there is good management to provide strong leadership and support. I also work in an environment with great co-workers. Each day I am amazed by the people I work with, their resilience, enthusiasm and passion for our clients and financial advisers. My co-workers have had a positive impact on how I perform my job which is important to even a self motivated person.
Pros
Free lunch, gym and overall employee wellness, amazing co-workers
Cons
Inflexibility in current role and annual leave issues, limited type of roles versus company size
2,0
Allan Gray was a great company to work for, hence me being there for over 10 years.

My duties within the company changed as I fulfilled different positions whilst being there. My main responsibility was building relationships with clients and financial advisers. Seeing to their needs by providing product information or marketing material. Assisting with transactions telephonically or online. As the company expanded, so did my knowledge of the company, their products and the legislation.

Management in certain departments it could have better. In a role of management one expects leadership. Situations where management is able to take leadership, control and address the issue(s) upfront and honestly before it festers.

My last position was within Call Center where I worked for the past two years. I worked in an open plan environment and being part of a busy call center environment one does not have the time to get acquainted with all of one's colleagues.Those that I got to know or sat close to, I built good and lasting relationships with.

The hardest part of the job was not being able to get up and move when needed. Being in an extremely busy call center permission was always needed.The interaction with the clients I enjoyed thoroughly where I was able to do what I do best, being assisting and providing exceptional client servicing.
Pros
Knowledge of products / legislation
Cons
Extremely fast pace where one feel you chasing numbers.
4,0
Assisting clients and changing lives along the way. I have learnt how to communicate with people.
Pros
Great work environment
5,0
Located at a great area by the harbour.
It is a young and vibrant workplace with no dull moments.
Pros
Free Lunches
4,0
A typical day is filled with hard work yet a fun place to work in.
I learned the art of patience, perservernace and to work with various types of individuals.The management style was professional and driven, whilst being approachable and supportive to the individual and team needs.

Co-workers were like family.

The hardest part of the job is hard core constructive critiscm which was the springboard for internal inflection and outward changes.

The most enjoble part of the job was having completed a task and getting the desired results and client satisfaction. Retention of clients.
Pros
Great incentives, company provided meals for staff
Cons
Fast paced and stressful at times