ALSTOM

ALSTOM Employee Reviews

South Africa42 reviews
4,0
I will like to work there again. the situation was very inclusive and the company did look after each and everyone that was interested in improving themselves.
5,0
My main work was inspections , then hand over to our client (Eskom). I have learned a lot since it was my 1st QA/QC job.
Working on all Medupi plant (Boiler, Turbines, ACC etc.
2,0
Focus on insulation materials used in production of motors.

Static and dynamic testing procedures

Failure analysis reports.

Use of engineering design software and calculation methods.

Repetitive in many ways however attention to detail is often required.
Pros
Understanding of motors
Cons
Repetitive
5,0
Quiet environment, not very challenging. Fun staff to work with. Spent a lot of time wondering what to do to pass the day as job was not entirely what was originally explained.
Pros
No stress
Cons
Very quiet
5,0
It must continue doing a good job to its employee. And it should train other students from the TVET Colleges, provide them with Learnerships,Apprenticeships, Internships and In-Service Trainings.
Pros
Good Salary
Cons
No free lunch
4,0
The typical work day started at 07:00 and ended at 16:30. These working hours were from Monday to Thursday. On a Friday we started to work at 07:00 and finished the day at 13:00.
The day would start off with the actual planning and make sure that the most urgent work gets done first.

I learned that team work reaped great rewards and that in a multi-cultural environment people can work together if they put their minds to it.

The hardest part of the job was working with fellow associates from different departments that did not worked towards the company's main objectives and goals.

The most enjoyable part of the job was, when there were unforeseen issues that had to get resolved and if additional work were received and plans had to be made to get materials in, in order to supply clients there products JIT.

The social engagement after hours, were we would go and play action cricket and go-carting was also one of the things that helped us to build a bigger and better team.
Pros
Medical aid, pension, 13th cheque
Cons
Monthly stock takes over weekends
4,0
I mainly had on the job training and therefore any knowledge and experience I have built up from self development. The enjoyable part for me was putting systems in place.
Pros
13th and 14th Cheques
3,0
Good company, new, Government initiative. Plant is built on the East Rand. Take about 2 years to be fully operational. Lots of administration work being completed. Lots of expats from France and Brazil.
4,0
Alstom is a great company. it is job friendly and the people are amazing. easy to work with. the job culture Is also good. most enjoyable part is working as a team
Pros
The people i work with are amazing. i believe in team work
Cons
Getting delays when the job is supposed to be finished
5,0
No real chance for personal development as risk is quite high and number of contractor employees very high. Thus, full time supervision on site is required.
Room for compulsory training was made (first aid, basic fire fighting and legal liability)

Management was good. during my stay site managers was swopped 3 times and each had different work ways but, in the end worked out good
Pros
Housing and transport free
5,0
It non-Local company , that bring service in our south Africa economy /infrastructure . It is a supporting company that grow south African with more skilled in the field.

Alstom Power distribution base on thermal and control and instrumentation in Power Stations
Pros
Cons
8 Normal Hours, Overtime after 8 hours per day
4,0
Uploading and reviewing of the latest drawings in the system.making sure that all the Quality documents eg;QCp,Drawings, Quality manual prociduresprocidure are up to date in terms of reviewing and approving.
Pros
Free educational trainings
Cons
No overtimes
5,0
The work was fine and I enjoyed working in Durban the rate was much good because we earn R55 per hour even the over times I was doing pipe fitting in the project that was at sappi saico in mkhomazi
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
11hours and overtimes
4,0
Productive and friendly environment. Good exposure to some deep engineering technics.
A challenging position that demands precision and accuracy
Pros
plenty of overtime
Cons
far from home
5,0
Make the best of your opportunity wherever you work and show everybody what you capable of doing. I gained valuable experience.
Pros
nice
Cons
nice
A typical Day at work
- Normally come in early so that I can get all my work done. Scheduling of projects

- What you learn, Learn all the time different things

- Management, Need to be open and honest.

- Co-Workers, good relationship.

- The hard part of the Job, To battle with resources to get the work done.

- The most enjoyable part of the job, When we can laugh together after a stupid mistake.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Unexpected overtime working which was poor planning
5,0
A lot of experience I gained from komati power station maintenance was done very effectively hours were long but it was worth the reward, I'd recommend Alstom as a great company for anyone to work for
5,0
très grosse entreprise rachetée par GE. chef d'équipe de la mise en service en étroite collaboration avec le responsable du montage. très bonne entreprise. très bon esprit d'équipe. déficite de l'entreprise donc peu de chance d'évolution au sein du groupe.
Busy environment
Learned how to do Management Accounts, forecast Budgets

Management was tight. I worked with a strict boss, but loved it.

Co workers were a nice crowd.

Hardest part of the job was training myself in most aspects.

The enjoyable part is the job satisfaction I got out of the job.
Pros
Leaving early on Fridays
3,0
Alstom was a product but challenging work environment.
This is excellent for personal growth.

The challenge was to build a power station that is already delayed due to unforeseen constraints with zero incidents within an allotted diminished time frame.
Pros
diverse international work force
Cons
time contraints due to unforseen delays
qclnqejfejfpoeqfpok1ofkpofkpe2jf2ejvkmwvkewme