American International School of Johannesburg
4,2 out of 5 stars.

American International School of Johannesburg Employee Reviews

South Africa13 reviews

3,8Work-Life Balance

AÏSJ is a very stimulating place to work at. Lots of different nationalities, more so at the Johannesburg campus which is really great. Pretoria campus was more locals.Students were awesome. Mainly management was good allthough the principal was very difficult at the time and many were complaining. Apart from that it’s a lovely environment to be a part of, specifically at the Johannesburg Campus

Pros

Professional Development, stimulating working environment

Cons

HR and HR management needs to be changed more frequently

toxic environment

expatriate employees are treated like gold and locals are treated with very little respectno succession planning at allno development path if you are localwindow dressing on issues of justice, equality, diversitypoor decision making by board and ceo

Pros

great if you are a teacher

Cons

poor if you are a local

Productive and fun work place

*Assisting students and parent on a daily basis with lunch tickets and general information. * Booking appointments for PrincipaI and General Office Administration duties for the office. * Assisting in booking Teacher/Parent Conferences and other school activities. *Most enjoyable part of the job was helping student and teachers on a daily basis with their daily request. (Front Office Liaison person * Was a good place to work and the diversity of the culture was good. * Management differs with department (mine was excellent)

Pros

Family parties for end year

Cons

Being in same position for long time in other departments

Buona

Buona esperienza con grande opportunità di conoscere molte parti del Mondo che frequentavano la scuola

Its Not a bad company at all, just looking for growth

It's all about the sport and teach kids how to play the sport, its different every season since we dealing with different age groups, so it gets difficult to manage the kids sometimes but once they get the hang of it, it become smooth

I enjoyed my role as a teacher partner

typical day at work would involve morning admin and meetings, planning, Principal group briefings. Meeting students and developing them in terms of their Math and science ability. Adhoc requests from manager.

relatively small international school with low teacher:student ratios

I taught mindfulness and yoga to middle school kids after school once a week. It was an eclectic group of kids, who normally did not socialize together outside of my class. But somehow, through trust, and openness, they grew to support and respect each other. Challenge came when fears of sharing too much was raised by the school psychologist. But other teachers, parents, and the children themselves reported 100% satisfaction with the group dynamics and felt safe and comfortable in the space created. By remaining completely transparent with all stakeholders, the classes were a success.

excellent School

A great learning environment that is well lead and managed.American International School of Johannesburg is a PreK-12 American international school system with two campuses in South Africa: one in Johannesburg and one in Pretoria. It was first founded in 1982. The Pretoria campus, which serves PreK-8, opened in August 2002.[2] The original Pretoria campus was located in proximity to the U.S. Embassy.[3] In 2010 the school purchased the current Pretoria site.[2] Its mascot is an eagle.

Great work environment. Amazing diversity at the school among students and teachers.

I was able to coach three different teams and even got to travel to Nairobi, Kenya for a international school basketball tournament. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting amazing individuals who were living their lives on an international school basis, meaning, they traveled every few years. There were some that lived there for 10 years or more as well but what an experience.

Pros

Lots of fun activities throughout the year

Cons

Local salary pay because I was already in Johannesburg when I got the job.

Enjoyable work experience

Very relaxed atmosphere and a positive work environment. Opportunities to grow and develop. International employment opportunities also available. Friendly staff and syudents.

Productive and fun place to work at

American International school of Johannesburg is a great place to work at in terms of its culture, environment and management with best professional development and benefits.

Pros

100% medical aid member and 50% family member, funeral cover, holidays

Cons

Sometime tiring working hours

Exciting and Nice environment to work

Work its unpredictable as everyday had its own challenges, and was looking forward to each day. i have learned to work with people of different cultures and ethics.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Long hours and hectic work schedules

Hard working and calm enviroment

A typical work day is very busy with helping my boss, teachers and children. I have learned problem solving and thinking on my feet. Hardest part of the job is dealing with a difficult boss and difficult parents. My most enjoyable part of my job is completing my tasks and seeing the children happy.

Pros

Medical Aid and Pension

Cons

Difficult boss

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American International School of Johannesburg. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,8 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance
3,8 out of 5 stars for Salary/Benefits
2,8 out of 5 stars for Job Security/Advancement
3,1 out of 5 stars for Management
3,7 out of 5 stars for Culture

American International School of Johannesburg Reviews by Job Title

American International School of Johannesburg Reviews by Location

• American International School of Johannesburg
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?