Anglo American

Anglo American Employee Reviews in Johannesburg, Gauteng

You gain alot of experience in Anglo American and workplace is fun and you gain and explore with Anglo American throughout the mining industry. Would love to go back!
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short hours
The Coal SA business (aka Anglo Coal) has good salaries and bonuses - they are above average, although disparities tend to be based on racial lines, i.e. white personnel in the same role make more and advance faster.Mining and Engineering are probably best departments to be in, the managers in those departments tend to have a lot of say and are generally better at managing their departments. The same can't be said for Technical Services, particularly Geology - management is weak and the department tends to be sidelined. The company culture is more concerned about putting in the hours than the quality of work produced. Probably not the best place to be in if you seek an intellectual challenge - work is repetitive and innovation is only encouraged in theory but generally never accepted.
Pros
Development courses are paid for and encouraged, Further degrees can be paid for depending on the line manager
Cons
Intellectually not stimulating, Afrikaans culture still very strong, Afrikaans used to sideline black employees at the mines
Anglo American is a stable place to work with a good workplace culture. It has the added advantages of pension and medical aid. I enjoyed working in the corporate environment.
Pros
There were free lunches (not sure if that is still available)
Cons
There could possibly be long hours depending on the environment.
Just the manager it's always want things her on way, you can't showcase your experience and always treated like you don't know your responsebility and your duties
Fast paced, yet relaxed once goals are reached. Many things to learn in a short time. Good experience that will take me far, fully enjoyed my journey. Reqiures one to think out of the box.
It was good for me to work in Anglo-American. I enjoyed culture and care. I grew in line of working in cooperate. Diversity was excellent. How I wished that my child could work there cause it is excellent environment
When i get to the office the first thing i do is to make a great cup of coffee, and open my email. I the categorize my deliverable and work on them based on high priority.
having to work at Anglo American, has given me vast knowledge, about personal selling and business management, most important developing customer relationships. the company culture, was not strict as much, because of the excellent management task. at the company, I had no quarrel with co-workers nor management. the downfall, which hit me hard it was when my contract ended.
As a senior Project manager at Anglo American i used to manage day-to-day operational aspects of projects and project scope by effectively applying methodologies that enforce project standards and by minimizing exposure and risks on projects. Create and execute project work plans and revise as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements, including the identification of needed resources and assignment to appropriate personnel. Anglo American presents a good company to work for, but presents a highly corporate environment with many challenges. Typical to the Senior Project Manager the job aligns with hours booked and if the company struggle to win projects, you as an individual may lose your position. During a strong economy, the company presents many opportunities related to skills development, opportunities to grow and become involved in diverse client engagements. The job culture requires a lot of input. The company presents an accepted salary but they comprise of no enough bonus system. During good times they give you additional compensation that presents about 6% of your monthly salary. The management varies and typical to project Management it presents a competitive environment. Therefore management tends to look after themselves first and always attempt to find a way to stay billable. Sometimes to the disadvantage of staff members. The hardest of the job involves the billability aspect and if you not an Manager it may become difficult to stay afloat because of minimal management support. Overall it stays a good company to work for during strong economic times.
Anglo American is a good company to work for. They are goal driven, always finding ways on how to improve in whatever is done. Innovation is important. Believe in bettering their staff by arranging different training courses as well as on the job training. However some managers lacked on people skills. They believe in work life balance.
Pros
Diversity and Goal driven
Cons
Some Managers lacked people skills as they didn't know how to handle certain issues.
Very engaging and excellent environment. I would like to go back Salary benefits Work life balance Agility Good performance bonus pay Good retention
Anglo American Global Shared Services is an agent under Anglo American which focuses on the Financial (administrations) department of the company in the aim of cutting cost to the company. We the employees always give it our best in order to meet the company's objective and the daily stats. I enjoy working under a cool or friendly environment, i am now looking to advance to a position that is relevant to my studies as i feel that i need to prove myself in that field so i can further my studies knowing that it is for advancing my knowledge to better my capabilities in that field of study.
Pros
apply and achieve Anglo's values at all time.
Cons
flexible working hours
Would start around 8 with the Information Management team. I learnt a lot about how contractors hired from different companies came together to work as one team. Leant a lot about changing technologies and the financial, project and management functions. Hardest part was that it was central johannesburg and lots of traffic. Being rewarded lucratively was a factor that motivated me to do my job but I was only a contractor and was let go due to restructuring, also I was looking to get back into a proper SAP Consultant Job not only work on projects with management.
Pros
Huge selection of free lunches daily
My role consist of the review of financial reporting activities for mining entities. I am a supervisor with 6 direct reports. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I am ably to apply my experience and technical skills to deliver high quality output.
Pros
Company with a good reputation
Cons
Rotating shifts every week was a bit tiring,your body cannot adapt to 3 shifts I learned allot from Fork lift driver + loading sample weighing samples .Crushing samples.Splitting and Micro Splitting and also Milling and Printing labels
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
7.5 Hours
normal day and i have learned alot. the work place culture is excellent which makes it a good work place then the hardest part of the job having to work and not take leave on certain occassions
Pros
free lunch
Cons
normal hours
I loved going to work. The people were professional. The company had strict rules that we had to adhere to. The culture was just so amazing. We had respect for each other and had lost of fun aswell.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Lots of meetings :-)
 Assisting and handling user calls  Setup and maintain documentation and standards  Ensure documents are reviewed as per schedule do instalation
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
8 hours
I was the secretary who dealt with plant Heads of Department in a gold mine. I was directly reporting to two metallurgical superintendents: typing, screening calls, audio-typing reports. All secretarial duties. Security in the office was of utmost importance with confidential data being prepared each day. I learned how to work with outside departments and learned communication skills. Management was hierarchical and working in silos: Engineering dept., metallurgical dept., admin, HR dept., Loss Control and Finance dept. All metallurgical departments directly reporting to the two metallurgical superintendents (my two managers). The metallurgical departments comprised Carbon In Leach, Acid Plant, Gold Plant, Loss Control and Flotation Plant which are metallurgical plants to produce, ultimately, gold. The workplace demanded good work ethic and the ability to work under pressure. The hardest part of the job was during a slump in the gold price with low motivation, lay-offs and stressful working conditions, taking on extra duties with the corporation austerity measures. The most enjoyable part of the job was making sure the job was done .
I enjoyed me time at Anglo Platinum and learnt a lot from my colleagues. I started my career with Anglo Platinum and appreciated all the opportunities afforded to me to grow my career.
Professional environment characterized by collaboration and fact based decision making. There is a culture of continuous business improvement and lessons learned inform future decisions
Pros
Wealth of knowledge
Cons
Bussiness is susceptible to external environment