Anglo American

Anglo American Employee Reviews for Metallurgist

Great environment that fostered a spirit of teamwork and collaboration. Intensive travelling required. Well balanced environment that was results driven and oriented
not much room for development. cannot plan on vacations since job is very volatile. no room for innovation. however the people on the ground have vast knowledge that one can learn from
Pros
interesting chemical processes
Cons
It was a technically advanced environment, although a lot can be done to make it a more pleasant place for everyone. I worked there for 7 years as a metallurgical engineer, and it was generally ok.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
questionable HR policies
My work consists of monitoring plant performance, and using basic engineering principles to optimize performance. I'm responsible not only for technical projects but production scheduling, working closely with operators and plant personnel.
Pros
Exposure to technical project work and very friendly people
Cons
Very long hours at work and limited opportunities for promotion
The typical day at work, it was when the plant foreman who lianse with our department resist to knowledge my competence to the engineering department in order to be evaluated on my performance, due to personal disagreement between us, this was until we found the way to deal with our indifference's. i have learned a lot based on organisational culture and communications skills which added me the opportunity to successfully execute my work. i became the best at my project work and the metallurgical engineering work based, as i was able to act as a metallurgist when the need arises. the hardest part of the job was when we had to sample in the chrome plant as this was too physical and time demanding job. where the most enjoyable part of the sampling job was when i was running my analysis of results from sampling at metallurgical laboratory, an also the given responsibility as a plant foreman for the whole shift.
Pros
Cons
sampling time was taking time.
It is a dynamic work place, everyday is an opportunity to learn something new. employees are encourage to have future and grwoths plans through the individual development plan which is link to the perfomance contract. Employees are valued
Pros
free lunch, medical benefits
It is a good company to work for, but not suited for me. Typical day involved troubleshooting the plant and problem solving issues around the plant. The management is good, but not supportive. The most enjoyable part about my job is doing optimisation studies and seeing the fruits of my labour.
My typical day is checking key performance indicators in the plant and ensure that the plant is operationg as required, i.e. good production. Then continue with optimisation project and asset optimisation projects. Some days involves review of operating procedures and coaching operaters. The hardest part of my job is getting investment money for big projects. One has to be more than 100% sure that the company will make a huge saving when the project is complete. There is no big room for error. The most interesting part of my job is working on projects that have direct and positive infuence on the production.
Pros
Great managemant
Cons
saturation of metallurgists
TYPICAL DAY Start day off with daily safety meeting and delegate work to subordinates. Daily plant stability meeting to discuss current issues and brainstorm ideas with technical team. Assist subordinates where needed and ensure that tasks given are attended to. Weekly meeting with entire management team to discuss all current issues and to raise concerns. Attend to requests and emails. Attend to current project. Close out day by ensuring that all critical tasks were attended to and that deadlines are met. Management allows freedom to express yourself and you are not tied down. I also do not work under constant supervision. Co-workers are very helpful and knowledgeable. They are approachable and always willing to assist where needed. The hardest part of my job is to constantly improve the process and find solutions to unique problems. The most enjoyable part of my job is the fact that I can do my work in my own manner as long as the job gets done on time. I also enjoy the fact that everyday is different and I live for the challenges in my day to day job.
Pros
Stable job with room for advancement
Cons
No reward for major achievements and improvements in business performance
Typical day at work: Collect production figures of the previous day from shift foremen, update them in the metallurgical accounting spread sheet and send to management. then start compiling production report and technical report to have an overall performance of the plant. send report to management after completion. Plant walkabout and equipments evaluation.Technical meeting.What I have learned is to work as a team, plant operation and control, plant process chemistry and practical aspects of engineering.Management: Always emphasising on safety of one and those working with. Concerned about employee's growth and development.Co-workers : Very ambitious, interesting and hard working people. Safety conscious and willing to help.The hardest part of the job: Plant performance is unpredictable especially with aspects that are weather dependent. Breakdowns that need immediate investigation and solutions. Projects that were not scheduled in time but due to plant performance, they must be carried out.Enjoyable part of the job: Carrying out plant surveys. One gets to learn more not only intellectually but personally especially because you are working with different people of different departments.
Pros
holiday gifts and incentives
Cons
everyday is a working day