Anglo American

Anglo American Employee Reviews for Safety Officer

Safety Officer12 reviews
South Africa12 reviews
5,0
I will like to join this team and work with as a safety officer or a general woker. My one of my dream is to work with big companies like this one to help me achieve my goals
5,0
Always be safty minded and never work outside of your scope. Always work with a JRA and never deviate from it. Anglo have a no tolarence policy on accidents and safe work is always the first mandate. Always listen carefully at their questions and make sure you understand before you answer.
Pros
Good working envoiroment
Cons
Dust
5,0
You grow and learn a lot from working at Anglo-American. Employee are treated as asset and trained to equip them with the necessary skills and knowledge. The relationship between the management and the workers is a very good one as everyone is treated with dignity and respect. The values are also good especially because honest is the culture of the company to achieve safe production
5,0
A normal day at Kumba is where you get to meet new people every time. Safety is a process and it takes a while to be implemented. Management is motivated to get involved in the day to day issues regarding the staff. Everyone is committed to zero harm. Paperwork is the only hard part of the job because it takes you away from the people doing the work and implementing a new system and reaching a KPI goal is my considered my fun time at work.
4,0
The coal mines were bulk producing mines for export and power station smalls.

The management teams I worked for fully supported Anglo's need for a safe working mine. The middle management and workers did not trust the system and were difficult to sway from their old mining methodology.

I was expected to implement Anglo Health, Safety and Environmental systems to the workers and ensure compliance to that end. A typical day would require that I comply to the duties of the health and safety officer.
Pros
Employees/contractor owning the safety systems in place and going home each day unhurt
Cons
Being the middle manager closing the mistrust between management and employee
3,0
This is a one big family with a culture than can only be matched by a few. Care and respect are our core values. We have learned that as a team we depend on each other to achieve our objective - mining platinum safely and going back to our loved ones in one piece. Our management have an open door policy and we don't see them as managers but team leaders who we can interact with at any given time. Visible felt leadership is what brings them closer to their subrdinates. The co-workers are fantastic. We always make time to celebrate whatever achievement together. In terms of the hardest part of the job, seeing someone getting hurt and having to inform his/her loved ones is a nightmare. One the flip side, having a nice braai with the team after any safety achievement is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
R150 christmans voucher
Cons
We are highly paid
4,0
I love what i do, i love to do different tasks for me not to get bored. I'm a team player but i also work well i'm i'm alone. I get along well with my co-workers. I have learnt that people are different and therefor my approach to each indivivual must be different as well.Hardest job i've ever done was to do a behavior based coaching on a group of people that did not understand isizulu and english, but understood Sepedi. The most enjoyable part of my job is that i deal with different people and i make a positive change in their lives with regards to safety.
5,0
Too much meeting and to lest time in the field to complete the legal work. Good working environment. Too much senior staff that all want to give orders. Good team relationship
Pros
Good medical aid and pension
Cons
Management.
Start to work at 7:00 in the morning and complete the day at 16:00
Learned a lot about the system used by the company and the proper application of MHS Act

The management of the company is very well informed and participate/involved/contribute100% towards safety of the employees

Co-workers were very helpfull moreover towards safety of employees

When the is an incident which needs to be investigated and have a negative stats reporting on the project
Pros
Free lunches when having meeting and functions hosted by HQ
Cons
Long hours work not permitted
5,0
Every day you lean something new
To be glad every day is a zero harm free day

To transfer knowledge to your co-workers
3,0
Learned a lot about Risk Management, and Safety in the Workplace.
No job security due to current labor situations in South Africa

Management good, but does not fully live up to company policies.

Fun place to work at with good work/life balance.

Most enjoyable part was being able to join Safety in the largest Platinum Producer in the world.
Pros
excellent safety/risk management system, and learned a lot about safety
Cons
poor job security
4,0
I love working with people and helping them to improve in any safety issues.