Baragwanath Hospital

Baragwanath Hospital Employee Reviews

As the local clinics were managed by the hospital problems at clinic level were addressed on time and no patients were flooding the hospital because of the lack of adequate clinic services.Because of the increase in the burden of diseases what should have happened was to further advance primary health care to prevent this influx of patients at tertiary institutions
Pros
Even without free lunches, it was a pleasure to wake up and serve the communities
Cons
personnel were willing to serve at any pharmacy to ease the pressure of workloads
It is a busy institution and it is the biggest hospital in South Africa. Chris Hani Bara is an academic institution that is multiskilling its staff by rotating them in various departments quarterly in a year. I can do diagnostic, angiography, cardiac cath lab, CT scan etc. We had a big department as listed above and each department had a chief radiographer managing it, that where one gets a managerial position. The hardest part was that you had to do night duty as well whereby you had to leave your department that you were managing for a while. When the night duty shift is over going back to your department that you are managing recap wherever you left off. The most enjoyable part is the dynamic teamwork spirit we had as colleagues and the dedication to our work. There are always new things to learn on a daily basis. Open thoracic cavity of a stabbed heart with it being massaged whilst rushing the patient from ER to OR on a stretcher.
Pros
Theres demand for staff due to increasing oportunities
Cons
Demand a bit too much for the learners who still have to do assigments
shift start at 7am-7pm and we start we our base line data of patients hourly vital data checkings. its then Doctors rounds and we carry out the orders. I have learned to work in a team which makes the routine go easily and effective and to ask questions where I do not understand. Our management is just fine. We are only 3 in a shift when 1 is sick and we have really sick patients that we need to attend to. when you meet a patient that you nursed who was very sick and she comes back to me to say thank you.