BDO logo
3,7 out of 5 stars.

BDO

BDO Employee Review

productive workplace

Working at BDO was a good learning experience and relaxed environment. I have learned basic and advanced skills concerning admin and financials aspects of a work place.

Pros

short hours

Cons

not enough challenge

4,0Work/Life Balance
3,0Salary/Benefits
4,0Job Security/Advancement
3,0Management
4,0Culture

Same role

Challenging career starter

This is not an industry where you take breaks. It's face paced, dynamic, ever changing and pushes your limits. You will learn to manage your own time and workflow efficiently. To work well within your budgets and learn that admin done poorly the first time kills your profitability. The work environment is fun and the people you work with are well educated and interesting individuals all working with you to get the job done. Incentives are often clear and if you work hard your job is usually there at the end of the year (for you!). I found that the most challenging part of the job was reporting directly to the head partner. This also became the most rewarding part as after some time getting it right consistently meant constant positive feedback from all of the partners, who are firm and fair (as this is what's needed in the industry). You will need to take the initiative in looking at solving your own problems, there is no hand holding here and you need to fight for what you want out of your career. The best part of the job is the broad variety of client that you work on and the number of direct client contacts that you make. It makes you work better, because you know the people you are doing the work for. Great start to my professional financial career.

Pros

Great client exposure. Early responsibility. Consulting opportunities.

Cons

Long hours, tough deadlines. No study time allocation (can be negotiated)
Same location

Salary and development

For me the salary is very low and after I asked about it my contract was not renewed. The development is very slow. Its not all the offices, its the JHB office that has these difficulties and its difficult to move to another office because the current director needs to approve that.

Pros

its good for training and when you have apply for a full time employment

Cons

working overtime without compensation
Same location

I loved working at BDO

The culture The learning experience The people The work Everything about BDO was awesome. Like any place of work you have your pros and cons however if I had the opportunity to go back I would gladly return to BDO

Pros

Work culture

Cons

Long working hours sometimes