BDO
3,7 out of 5 stars.

BDO Employee Reviews in Troy, MI

BDO was my first public accounting firm and I enjoyed my time there. Work was good and I learned alot. However, management is extremely poor. Training for associates is pathetic because it consists of bunch of videos which does not help with your work. Management is very focused on interns and in my opinion they don't pay too much attention to newly hire associates. Instead, they have high expectations from associates that have some experience and they set associates up for failure unless the individual learns on its own.You would rarely get positive feedback and negative feedback would first be communicated to partners/directors group and then it will be communicated to you. Obviously, your performance will be judged based on those negative feedback without taking everything into consideration. Overall, you must be extremely proactive when working at BDO and over communicate with senior and managers in order to secure your place in the firm. Otherwise, you will be used in the busy season and then let go without any concrete reason.
Pros
Free lunches, Flexibility
Cons
Poor management, High expectations, pathetic training
corporate culture and values are great but not supported at the local level if you are not a favorite, you are overlooked. Certain people can do things that others are not - very random. Secretive culture which greatly impacts morale.
Pros
free food
No day is a typical day. In auditing you spend time at clients, in the office or working remotely.There is always room for growth and opportunities. Every day is a new day.
As a Senior Accountant, I worked on a variety of accounts and helped train the Junior Accountants.