BDO Employee Reviews in Johannesburg, Gauteng

Be honest and show what your real day is like. Emphasize how you are an effective employee on a daily basis. Showcase your enthusiasm for your work and profession. Focus on the result of your efforts and skills. Concentrate on tasks and projects that relate to the position.
The culture The learning experience The people The work Everything about BDO was awesome. Like any place of work you have your pros and cons however if I had the opportunity to go back I would gladly return to BDO
Pros
Work culture
Cons
Long working hours sometimes
BDO is a highly professional and challenging company to work for. The company values responsibility and hard work and rewards those who can take initiative.
Interesting company to work in Interesting culture and people Interesting leaders Interesting decision making abilities Interesting ethics and morales
BDO is a great company to build a foundation for your career. The hours are fairly long but the work is interesting (corporate finance). I would recommend the firm as a whole.
BDO was a wonderful company to work for. I became ill during my time there and they did their best to keep me on even though it was for about 6 months. I would recommend working for them.
Working at BDO was a good learning experience and relaxed environment. I have learned basic and advanced skills concerning admin and financials aspects of a work place.
Pros
short hours
Cons
not enough challenge
Productive day at work, mostly out on clients. I learned how to audit the manufacturing, mining, and logistics industries. Management is very bias when it comes to performance ratings but is easily approachable. The workplace culture is relaxed and warm. Hardest part of the job is adapting to change and travelling.The most enjoyable part of the job is being with fellow trainees whom you can share ideas with and learn from.
Pros
Overtime benefits and travel claim
Cons
Low ratings resulting in low performance bonuses
I only worked there for six months, but learnt a great deal about management, teamwork and what it means to be there for each other colleagues and as a team. The organisation also has many initiatives that promote worklife balance.
Pros
Supportive
Good company to work for, different and very involved, there"s always something new to investigate and gain knowledge. My line manager is the best, she shares the information to upskill everyone in the department. The volumes and deadlines are high but workeable. That moment when the payroll is concluded and we are ready to pay.
Pros
we have systems that allow us to control the process.
Cons
The working hours in January and December are crazy.
I was very busy in my particular job and did not mingle much with my fellow employees. I experienced a total of 3 different managers with different styles in my ten year tenure.. With all of them I was left to work at my own pace and style which I appreciated. The atmosphere was congenial . I often took work home due to interruptions from other departments as well as from emails . I was given training in excel to advance my skills as well as a little on our accounting package. I had very few dealings with upper management but had a lot with my immediate manager. The workplace culture was good as there was an open door policy with our seniors which allowed staff to express themselves. The hardest part of my job was that the companies I managed grew and so did my workload so I felt more pressured than in the past. The best part of my job was that I felt that I was trusted by my seniors as they knew I always worked to the best of my ability. My manager always appreciated me.
Pros
Modern offices with a good canteen area and relaxed atmosphere w
Cons
Long drive to work with heavy traffic both ways
Professional working environment. Company still have humanity and fun in work environment, management is reasonable and helpfull. Lots of learning posibilities
Cons
well balanced company which always support employees via continously training coaching ongoing all support on development readily available good salary and benefits
Cons
BDO is such a nice and accommodative company to work for. The culture is very good and the enviroment is a conducive one and one can learn so much from. It is good for learning purposes. You get exposure to different industries and can attain very good skills that can be of great help in your career growth.
Pros
Fair chance to grow and develop
Cons
Long hours (sometimes)
A typical day as a trainee auditor involves interacting with the audit engagement team and the client in conducting an audit engagement. This includes getting financial information and supporting documents for the transactions the entity has had throughout the financial year. I have learned how to work as part of a team, how different sized organisations function and how the International Financial Reporting Standards, South African Legislation and Tax Legislation are applied by the entities. The management style at BDO is one that creates room for learning. The hardest and most enjoyable parts of the job are the fact that you work with people. In as mush as it is a joy to meet new people it can also be very hard to deal with people.
Pros
Exposure (industries and sizes of the enities)
Cons
Travelling
Very hectic Deadline driven Goal meeting Friendly staff and management Challenging environment Great career support structure Provided a lot of on the job training
BDO management encourages creativity by allowing employees to be as innovative as they can to improve the organizational process .
Well balanced environment. Medium accounting firm so you get a lot of exposure in different industries and allows you to grow as an individual.
Pros
Month end drinks
Cons
Consistent dealines through out the year
At BDO we have a good culture and we understand different backgrounds from culture to education. We are exposed to professional training ranging from communication to customer satisfaction. We do participates every month end drinks and socialising. We attend training almost every time. The IT department team is always there to support us. Get motivated and expossed to international opportunities. Deal with top management on a daily bases and able to build professional relationship with all our clients.
Pros
Month end drinks and comedy shows
Cons
Few financial services clients
-A typical day at work requires me to engage with my audit staff, strategizing on how to achieve daily goals with the prospects of completing audit engagement within the required period of time. -More than anything, I have learnt on how various companies operate due to the exposure to various industries, as well as how their systems operate. -I have learnt to work with people from different backgrounds and those with different behaviours. Managing juniors has also been a skill that I developed as senior. -The hardest part of the job is meeting tight deadlines when clients require their statements to be drafted. -The enjoyable part of the job is having to interact with different people and different companies on each and every audit, as well as working in a team.
Pros
-Drinks on Fridays to catch up with colleagues. - Social events now and then.
Cons
Tight deadlines.
Fair place to work - learned aot when it came to management - many workshops
Pros
lot of workshops
Cons
people not very friendly
  1. Johannesburg, Gauteng