BDO Employee Reviews in Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape

Stressful industry but fair workplace. Open plan office in audit department. Not so much social functions. Not so much strict working conditions. Responsible for your own growth.
I was there for a short period of time as a Vacation Student but the exposure and experience I got from BDO was very valueable. The staff was very friendly and helpful, which made me feel at home. During this short-period of time, I learnt how to conduct myself in a professional manner and customer care.
Pros
exposure, fun work environment, fair pay
This is not an industry where you take breaks. It's face paced, dynamic, ever changing and pushes your limits. You will learn to manage your own time and workflow efficiently. To work well within your budgets and learn that admin done poorly the first time kills your profitability. The work environment is fun and the people you work with are well educated and interesting individuals all working with you to get the job done. Incentives are often clear and if you work hard your job is usually there at the end of the year (for you!). I found that the most challenging part of the job was reporting directly to the head partner. This also became the most rewarding part as after some time getting it right consistently meant constant positive feedback from all of the partners, who are firm and fair (as this is what's needed in the industry). You will need to take the initiative in looking at solving your own problems, there is no hand holding here and you need to fight for what you want out of your career. The best part of the job is the broad variety of client that you work on and the number of direct client contacts that you make. It makes you work better, because you know the people you are doing the work for. Great start to my professional financial career.
Pros
Great client exposure. Early responsibility. Consulting opportunities.
Cons
Long hours, tough deadlines. No study time allocation (can be negotiated)
  1. Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape