BDO Employee Reviews for Accountant

Its audit based work requiring hard work, intelligence, effective communication and team work. interest work so as to develop skill and gain work experience.
Pros
Saica Articles
Cons
BDO has an amazing culture and is very involved in charity events. It is expected of you to work hard and you will work overtime when there are tight deadlines. The Pretoria office is smaller than the JHB office, but the culture amazing!
A typical day as a trainee auditor involves interacting with the audit engagement team and the client in conducting an audit engagement. This includes getting financial information and supporting documents for the transactions the entity has had throughout the financial year. I have learned how to work as part of a team, how different sized organisations function and how the International Financial Reporting Standards, South African Legislation and Tax Legislation are applied by the entities. The management style at BDO is one that creates room for learning. The hardest and most enjoyable parts of the job are the fact that you work with people. In as mush as it is a joy to meet new people it can also be very hard to deal with people.
Pros
Exposure (industries and sizes of the enities)
Cons
Travelling
Very hectic Deadline driven Goal meeting Friendly staff and management Challenging environment Great career support structure Provided a lot of on the job training
At BDO we have a good culture and we understand different backgrounds from culture to education. We are exposed to professional training ranging from communication to customer satisfaction. We do participates every month end drinks and socialising. We attend training almost every time. The IT department team is always there to support us. Get motivated and expossed to international opportunities. Deal with top management on a daily bases and able to build professional relationship with all our clients.
Pros
Month end drinks and comedy shows
Cons
Few financial services clients
working hours 8 am to 4h30 pm.I have learnt how the finance department works and the responsibilities of a finance manager, financial accountant, accountant of a company.The importance of meeting budgets and the importance of drafting a budget for the expected performance or targets.Working in teams was the most enjoyable part of the job.
A day started in the morning where is was greeting of all colleagues and making of the morning tea.And I returned to my desk to complete my duties where there was a very tight deadline meaning I had to focus carefully on getting the job done, as my senior was also asking when am I finishing the job as he still needs to review the work from his side. I updated the senior on how far on the job am I and when am I anticipating to finish.Then at the same time I had juniors who were working uner me, who I had to supervise and assist them if I need to. And I assisted them and asked them if they were still doing ok and if they are facing any challenges.Come 12H00 I had finished my work and submitted to my senior, and he was impressed as I submitted the work before the anticipated time, moreover he was very impressed with the quality of work that I had presented.
The best thing about the firm are the people I work with. Due to the nature of our work we mostly work in teams and teamwork is very important. We can rely on eachother and this makes working very easy and efficient.Although the deadlines are tight the support from managers are good. They always willing to help and listen when you come to a dead end.A typicaal day at work for me starts as early as possible. I always feel we never have enough hours in the day. I get to office and plan my day. Prioritise which task is important and needs to get done first.I then take the day as it comes and adjsut my schedule as things change.Most challenging part of my job. Would probaly be the deadlines. In auditing you always work on a budget and these have to be met.I have learnt through my articles to manage my time efficiently, deal with complex issues and how to solve them, work in a team enviroment but also be a individual, work under pressure.
Pros
free breakfast at work
Cons
Working hours are between 08:00 - 16:30, with a possibility of overtime .Exposure in different industries depending on the company that is being audited.You learn a lot from senior managers, they provide support and guidance.
Pros
experience