BDO Employee Reviews for Auditor

A typical day at work included going out to the premises of a client as an audit team for medium to large sized clients or as an individual for a small client. Working with the company allowed me to learn the follwoing: How to analyse different areas of the clients financial statements and efficiently prepare a report that alows any individual with basic accounting and audit knowledge to arrive at the same as conclusion as mine. Effective time management to be able to meet deadlines. Perform tasks that take initiative to assist other team members to complete a project. Co-workers were innovative and motivational individuals. Management included individuals that were approachable and always willing to advise the team how to perform the tasks. The hardest part of the job pn occasion included tight deadlines that required over time. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to learn and see how other companies and industries operate. As well as gain understanding of different management styles, and methods for accounting for a transaction.
Productive day at work, mostly out on clients. I learned how to audit the manufacturing, mining, and logistics industries. Management is very bias when it comes to performance ratings but is easily approachable. The workplace culture is relaxed and warm. Hardest part of the job is adapting to change and travelling.The most enjoyable part of the job is being with fellow trainees whom you can share ideas with and learn from.
Pros
Overtime benefits and travel claim
Cons
Low ratings resulting in low performance bonuses
-A typical day at work requires me to engage with my audit staff, strategizing on how to achieve daily goals with the prospects of completing audit engagement within the required period of time. -More than anything, I have learnt on how various companies operate due to the exposure to various industries, as well as how their systems operate. -I have learnt to work with people from different backgrounds and those with different behaviours. Managing juniors has also been a skill that I developed as senior. -The hardest part of the job is meeting tight deadlines when clients require their statements to be drafted. -The enjoyable part of the job is having to interact with different people and different companies on each and every audit, as well as working in a team.
Pros
-Drinks on Fridays to catch up with colleagues. - Social events now and then.
Cons
Tight deadlines.
University of Limpopo is an academic environment, my work there was to present Taxation to students. I got the opportunity to interact with students, understood students behavior and how students value education. The management of the School of accounting sciences was fully involved in the academics and providing quality education to students and ensure compliance with the requirements of the department of education Co-workers made it fun and interesting, relating our work in the student environment to the outside world and adding value to student life and the university
Pros
Access to academic activities, meeting new people every day, engaging with students, providing feedback to management, working own hours, being part of curriculum
Cons
Bad test results, not able to achieve 100% pass rate
BDO was a great learning expereince. During my 3 years , I have learnt to work with different people in different environments. It taught me how to apply my mind in different circumstances as well as to be prepared for the worst at all times as you never know if clients are going to prepared for the arrival of the audit team in the manner we expect. We travel to different clients throughout the country and audit the financial statements. I have worked on the different sections in the audit and apply to apply myself on all of these sections. My contract ends in May 2013 and i seek employment from that day moving forward.
Pros
meeting new people, travelling, learning experience
Cons
tight deadlines, long hours sometimes
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at BDO?