BDO
3,7 out of 5 stars.

BDO Employee Reviews for Tax Associate

BDO was my first public accounting firm and I enjoyed my time there. Work was good and I learned alot. However, management is extremely poor. Training for associates is pathetic because it consists of bunch of videos which does not help with your work. Management is very focused on interns and in my opinion they don't pay too much attention to newly hire associates. Instead, they have high expectations from associates that have some experience and they set associates up for failure unless the individual learns on its own.You would rarely get positive feedback and negative feedback would first be communicated to partners/directors group and then it will be communicated to you. Obviously, your performance will be judged based on those negative feedback without taking everything into consideration. Overall, you must be extremely proactive when working at BDO and over communicate with senior and managers in order to secure your place in the firm. Otherwise, you will be used in the busy season and then let go without any concrete reason.
Pros
Free lunches, Flexibility
Cons
Poor management, High expectations, pathetic training
Many intern or staff starting in the firm feel energized & proud of what they do..when they realize management is not meeting expectations & supporting you they feel left out & not motivated to work. TO much work for the size of the firm & recently there has been a Legal Dispute with TWO partners. Not to recommend if your starting out. The only pros there is the staff & senior associate.
Very good company to work.A lot of learning and very supportive team. Everyone is so helpfull. Create policies to ensure employees are working with people they respect.Senior level managers not only provide great leadership but also serve as great mentors
Year one you'll like it. Year two they will judge and management will look passed you and focus more on the interns. You will work an and not get appreciated.
It gets busy during busy season, pretty relaxed outside of busy season. I enjoyed my time there. Only issue I ever had was getting enough hours outside of busy season, but I had a pretty positive experience overall.
Every day is new and challenging. Made going to work their exciting. The work life balance in the tax department is not great. I had a lot of responsibility.
It is a great opportunity for learn and grow. They have to work with the hours during the busy season, because we can expect that if going to be hard like another public firm, but it will be better.
Very helpful to my career. Even though I thought I learned a lot at RSM, BDO really taught me a lot about Tax. With the Tax reform being published they gave us time to really understand it.
The partner in Charge who took over in 2013 spied on people at lunch and had little minions bto seed hatred among groups of people. When I left Literally every single employee left within a month. I was just first to go because we got in a fight.
BDO is a standard accounting practice in that the hours etc. are the same, however, lacks the vision to create an environment that makes people strive to improve. As a staff, management's strategy is no different than throw spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at BDO?
I really liked working here when I first started. However, the turnover rate is extremely high and the culture is stressful. Constantly feeling like not doing enough. The firm, at least on the tax side, is very understaffed. The management during busy season is poor, leading to rushing til the last minute stress.
-Commitment to employee flexibility -Some laid-back managers and partners -ping-pong table in break room -limited company sponsored social events -somewhat difficult to make lateral role transitions
Noone talks to each other You are lazy for leaving at 7pm Health issues are unacceptable Negative feedback only No praise if doing something well People don't care about each other
Cons
Competition
BDO gives all employees the last week of December. BDO also lack minorities within the Tax group. The firm does not recruit from HBCU's and they are not using the National Association of Black Accountants.
BDO is a good company as it updates me the essential tax updates and gives me practical exposure and gives me more leave to pass papers and to enhance knowledge and skills necessary for the tax.
Pros
Updated knowledge of Tax
Cons
Time consuming.. Too much late sitting
Great place for public accounting in a new location growing firm with excellent people in that they help you grow and learn and are always looking for new ways and tools to take advantage of to improve productivity. Excellent Culture and opportunities to advance as well as opportunities to work with many of the partners and managers in special projects for clients in building report with bosses and making an impact in more than just tax savings.
Pros
benefits of a larger firm with the feel of a smaller firm
Cons
in a transition being newer to the area of minneapolis
You get a lot of experience and get to see a lot of tax related issues but you will be over worked and under appreciated. Best thing to do is get in, get your experience, and get out as soon as you can.
Pros
Good experience. Most people are pretty cool
Cons
Long hours. Under appreciated. Too much favoritism.
BDO USA LLP is a standard workplace in public accounting comparable to a Big Four experience. As a mid-market accounting services firm, it is rapidly growing and offers opportunities to explore a variety of industries and client types.
Pros
Good training program and resources available, opportunities for professional growth
Cons
Work/Life balance leaves a lot to be desired
18 months after acquisition, company is still not through the transition process. IT applications are ok individually, but the way they are combined is ridiculous, inefficient, and frustrating. 70 billable hours requirement for 10 weeks in a row during busy season, and you are still not able to finish your work. A lot of miscommunication on benefits, and bonus system (not in employees' favor of course). People are great in overall, real open-door policy, managers are friendly and trying to be helpful. The scope of work is good too, a lot of exposure to various types of returns, and different industries. The place has a great potential, and will be a good workplace again, once transition is over.
High-paced work environment. Expected to be a quick learner and adapt to procedures and processes.Tax laws change annually so the demand for knowledgeable professionals is always high. Great work-life balance.
A great place to start career in public accounting. They provide a lot of training and immediate support. The expectations are high and they are reluctant to promote, but rather hire mid-level management from other firms
Pros
Free lunches, flexible hours
Cons
Stress, unreasonable expectations