BDO Management reviews

Great people, management is very down to earth and friendly, yet very professional and have high standards. Great workplace culture, fun is fundamental but no room for error.
Pros
Bonus day on your birthday
Cons
stessfull
Great place to work at. i would definitely work there again. the staff and management are friendly and very helpful. They are always willing to teach and assist where they can.
Productive day at work, mostly out on clients. I learned how to audit the manufacturing, mining, and logistics industries. Management is very bias when it comes to performance ratings but is easily approachable. The workplace culture is relaxed and warm. Hardest part of the job is adapting to change and travelling.The most enjoyable part of the job is being with fellow trainees whom you can share ideas with and learn from.
Pros
Overtime benefits and travel claim
Cons
Low ratings resulting in low performance bonuses
I only worked there for six months, but learnt a great deal about management, teamwork and what it means to be there for each other colleagues and as a team. The organisation also has many initiatives that promote worklife balance.
Pros
Supportive
I was very busy in my particular job and did not mingle much with my fellow employees. I experienced a total of 3 different managers with different styles in my ten year tenure.. With all of them I was left to work at my own pace and style which I appreciated. The atmosphere was congenial . I often took work home due to interruptions from other departments as well as from emails . I was given training in excel to advance my skills as well as a little on our accounting package. I had very few dealings with upper management but had a lot with my immediate manager. The workplace culture was good as there was an open door policy with our seniors which allowed staff to express themselves. The hardest part of my job was that the companies I managed grew and so did my workload so I felt more pressured than in the past. The best part of my job was that I felt that I was trusted by my seniors as they knew I always worked to the best of my ability. My manager always appreciated me.
Pros
Modern offices with a good canteen area and relaxed atmosphere w
Cons
Long drive to work with heavy traffic both ways
It was a joy to work for a big company like BDO. The management team are great and will always assist. Problems are being addressed to immediately and adequate training is supplied.
Pros
Free breakfast
Cons
I learnt to multi skill under pressure and to be professional. Work place culture was auditing, advisory and tax so it was pressured. The hardest part dealing with my job was management. The most enjoyable part was setting goals for myself and doing them to the best of my ability and making it happen and seeing the clients happy at the end of the day as it made my day.
Pros
Free breakfast in the morning
Cons
Couldnt participate in socials
Professional working environment. Company still have humanity and fun in work environment, management is reasonable and helpfull. Lots of learning posibilities
Cons
The Management was good to everyone. Head of departments used to treat every individual with respect. Time was very important and clients came first. we used to work as team in my consulting department. we were putting extra hours to deliver good work to clients.
Pros
every last friday of the months the was drinks and free lunch
Cons
paid for long hours
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at BDO?
The atmosphere at BDO is one that is filled with contentment, they have a productive yet not as stressful working environment with plenty potential of growth. I learned various procedures and easier methods of concluding answers, working there teaches one responsibility and appropriate time management. The staff and management are very helpful and will where needed. Learning the different procedures, legislation and rules was a bit tricky at first however once you get the hang of things and your statements balance or close to, or errors are found is the most rewarding feeling.
Pros
learning experience
Cons
stressful deadlines
A typical day as a trainee auditor involves interacting with the audit engagement team and the client in conducting an audit engagement. This includes getting financial information and supporting documents for the transactions the entity has had throughout the financial year. I have learned how to work as part of a team, how different sized organisations function and how the International Financial Reporting Standards, South African Legislation and Tax Legislation are applied by the entities. The management style at BDO is one that creates room for learning. The hardest and most enjoyable parts of the job are the fact that you work with people. In as mush as it is a joy to meet new people it can also be very hard to deal with people.
Pros
Exposure (industries and sizes of the enities)
Cons
Travelling
Very hectic Deadline driven Goal meeting Friendly staff and management Challenging environment Great career support structure Provided a lot of on the job training
BDO management encourages creativity by allowing employees to be as innovative as they can to improve the organizational process .
A typical day at work included going out to the premises of a client as an audit team for medium to large sized clients or as an individual for a small client. Working with the company allowed me to learn the follwoing: How to analyse different areas of the clients financial statements and efficiently prepare a report that alows any individual with basic accounting and audit knowledge to arrive at the same as conclusion as mine. Effective time management to be able to meet deadlines. Perform tasks that take initiative to assist other team members to complete a project. Co-workers were innovative and motivational individuals. Management included individuals that were approachable and always willing to advise the team how to perform the tasks. The hardest part of the job pn occasion included tight deadlines that required over time. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to learn and see how other companies and industries operate. As well as gain understanding of different management styles, and methods for accounting for a transaction.
At BDO we have a good culture and we understand different backgrounds from culture to education. We are exposed to professional training ranging from communication to customer satisfaction. We do participates every month end drinks and socialising. We attend training almost every time. The IT department team is always there to support us. Get motivated and expossed to international opportunities. Deal with top management on a daily bases and able to build professional relationship with all our clients.
Pros
Month end drinks and comedy shows
Cons
Few financial services clients
Fair place to work - learned aot when it came to management - many workshops
Pros
lot of workshops
Cons
people not very friendly
University of Limpopo is an academic environment, my work there was to present Taxation to students. I got the opportunity to interact with students, understood students behavior and how students value education. The management of the School of accounting sciences was fully involved in the academics and providing quality education to students and ensure compliance with the requirements of the department of education Co-workers made it fun and interesting, relating our work in the student environment to the outside world and adding value to student life and the university
Pros
Access to academic activities, meeting new people every day, engaging with students, providing feedback to management, working own hours, being part of curriculum
Cons
Bad test results, not able to achieve 100% pass rate
The job was worth doing had to meet lots of people during the traineeshipand management lead by example
Pros
lot of exprience
Cons
salary