BDO

Clear
3,4Work-Life Balance
3,3Management

Found 20 reviews matching the searchSee all 1 553 reviews

Good company to work for

Great people, management is very down to earth and friendly, yet very professional and have high standards. Great workplace culture, fun is fundamental but no room for error.

Pros

Bonus day on your birthday

Cons

stessfull

Poor management and stressful environment

High turnover of managers due to poor leadership, working ridiculous hours and hostile culture in the regional office. Employees are generally paid well below the market. Both trainees and managers work extra hours which are unpaid. You can learn alot due to diverse range of clients

Pros

Good learning environment and leave days

Cons

Long hours, low pay, poor leadership

Very great environtment to work at

I have learnt a lot of thing at BDO which aligned to my career,BDO also made a room for development always and the management was top class.The culture was very accommodating and very welcoming from dress code and caring for each persons growth.The most enjoyable part is having challenges that made me really learn new things,because i was dealing with many clients with different payrolls across the country ,so more than anything i enjoyed the challenges.

Pros

Flexible hours

Productive and fun

Great place to work at. i would definitely work there again. the staff and management are friendly and very helpful. They are always willing to teach and assist where they can.

Productive but biased management

Productive day at work, mostly out on clients. I learned how to audit the manufacturing, mining, and logistics industries. Management is very bias when it comes to performance ratings but is easily approachable. The workplace culture is relaxed and warm. Hardest part of the job is adapting to change and travelling.The most enjoyable part of the job is being with fellow trainees whom you can share ideas with and learn from.

Pros

Overtime benefits and travel claim

Cons

Low ratings resulting in low performance bonuses

Professional organisation with a great culture of giving back to society

I only worked there for six months, but learnt a great deal about management, teamwork and what it means to be there for each other colleagues and as a team. The organisation also has many initiatives that promote worklife balance.

Pros

Supportive

Friendly working environment with excellent working conditions

I was very busy in my particular job and did not mingle much with my fellow employees. I experienced a total of 3 different managers with different styles in my ten year tenure.. With all of them I was left to work at my own pace and style which I appreciated. The atmosphere was congenial . I often took work home due to interruptions from other departments as well as from emails . I was given training in excel to advance my skills as well as a little on our accounting package. I had very few dealings with upper management but had a lot with my immediate manager. The workplace culture was good as there was an open door policy with our seniors which allowed staff to express themselves. The hardest part of my job was that the companies I managed grew and so did my workload so I felt more pressured than in the past. The best part of my job was that I felt that I was trusted by my seniors as they knew I always worked to the best of my ability. My manager always appreciated me.

Pros

Modern offices with a good canteen area and relaxed atmosphere w

Cons

Long drive to work with heavy traffic both ways

Excellent technology infrastructure and good work environment.

It was a joy to work for a big company like BDO. The management team are great and will always assist. Problems are being addressed to immediately and adequate training is supplied.

Pros

Free breakfast

Was productive and happy

I learnt to multi skill under pressure and to be professional. Work place culture was auditing, advisory and tax so it was pressured. The hardest part dealing with my job was management. The most enjoyable part was setting goals for myself and doing them to the best of my ability and making it happen and seeing the clients happy at the end of the day as it made my day.

Pros

Free breakfast in the morning

Cons

Couldnt participate in socials

Professional

Professional working environment. Company still have humanity and fun in work environment, management is reasonable and helpfull. Lots of learning posibilities

Cons

very productive and everyone was friendly

The Management was good to everyone. Head of departments used to treat every individual with respect. Time was very important and clients came first. we used to work as team in my consulting department. we were putting extra hours to deliver good work to clients.

Pros

every last friday of the months the was drinks and free lunch

Cons

paid for long hours

BDO has a good working environment and potential for growth

The atmosphere at BDO is one that is filled with contentment, they have a productive yet not as stressful working environment with plenty potential of growth. I learned various procedures and easier methods of concluding answers, working there teaches one responsibility and appropriate time management. The staff and management are very helpful and will where needed. Learning the different procedures, legislation and rules was a bit tricky at first however once you get the hang of things and your statements balance or close to, or errors are found is the most rewarding feeling.

Pros

learning experience

Cons

stressful deadlines

Great learning environment

A typical day as a trainee auditor involves interacting with the audit engagement team and the client in conducting an audit engagement. This includes getting financial information and supporting documents for the transactions the entity has had throughout the financial year. I have learned how to work as part of a team, how different sized organisations function and how the International Financial Reporting Standards, South African Legislation and Tax Legislation are applied by the entities. The management style at BDO is one that creates room for learning. The hardest and most enjoyable parts of the job are the fact that you work with people. In as mush as it is a joy to meet new people it can also be very hard to deal with people.

Pros

Exposure (industries and sizes of the enities)

Cons

Travelling

Great working environment and a good learning curve

Very hectic Deadline driven Goal meeting Friendly staff and management Challenging environment Great career support structure Provided a lot of on the job training

BDO management encourages creativity by allowing employees to be as innovative as they can to improve the organizational process .

Productive and innovative enviroment

A typical day at work included going out to the premises of a client as an audit team for medium to large sized clients or as an individual for a small client. Working with the company allowed me to learn the follwoing: How to analyse different areas of the clients financial statements and efficiently prepare a report that alows any individual with basic accounting and audit knowledge to arrive at the same as conclusion as mine. Effective time management to be able to meet deadlines. Perform tasks that take initiative to assist other team members to complete a project. Co-workers were innovative and motivational individuals. Management included individuals that were approachable and always willing to advise the team how to perform the tasks. The hardest part of the job pn occasion included tight deadlines that required over time. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to learn and see how other companies and industries operate. As well as gain understanding of different management styles, and methods for accounting for a transaction.

Fun place to be and good experiance

At BDO we have a good culture and we understand different backgrounds from culture to education. We are exposed to professional training ranging from communication to customer satisfaction. We do participates every month end drinks and socialising. We attend training almost every time. The IT department team is always there to support us. Get motivated and expossed to international opportunities. Deal with top management on a daily bases and able to build professional relationship with all our clients.

Pros

Month end drinks and comedy shows

Cons

Few financial services clients

Productive but very very serious

Fair place to work - learned aot when it came to management - many workshops

Pros

lot of workshops

Cons

people not very friendly

The workplace in general

University of Limpopo is an academic environment, my work there was to present Taxation to students. I got the opportunity to interact with students, understood students behavior and how students value education. The management of the School of accounting sciences was fully involved in the academics and providing quality education to students and ensure compliance with the requirements of the department of education Co-workers made it fun and interesting, relating our work in the student environment to the outside world and adding value to student life and the university

Pros

Access to academic activities, meeting new people every day, engaging with students, providing feedback to management, working own hours, being part of curriculum

Cons

Bad test results, not able to achieve 100% pass rate

Productive and exprience with different companies

The job was worth doing had to meet lots of people during the traineeshipand management lead by example

Pros

lot of exprience

Cons

salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BDO. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Based on 1 553 reviews

3,4 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance
3,3 out of 5 stars for Salary/Benefits
3,4 out of 5 stars for Job Security/Advancement
3,3 out of 5 stars for Management
3,4 out of 5 stars for Culture
  • BDO
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?