BDO
3,7 out of 5 stars.

BDO Work-Life Balance reviews

It's a great place to gain work experience, but it's no place to be for long-term career advancements. There's very little room to grow in terms of both promotions and salary.
I have learnt a lot of thing at BDO which aligned to my career,BDO also made a room for development always and the management was top class.The culture was very accommodating and very welcoming from dress code and caring for each persons growth.The most enjoyable part is having challenges that made me really learn new things,because i was dealing with many clients with different payrolls across the country ,so more than anything i enjoyed the challenges.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
BDO is a highly professional and challenging company to work for. The company values responsibility and hard work and rewards those who can take initiative.
BDO has an amazing culture and is very involved in charity events. It is expected of you to work hard and you will work overtime when there are tight deadlines. The Pretoria office is smaller than the JHB office, but the culture amazing!
Interesting company to work in Interesting culture and people Interesting leaders Interesting decision making abilities Interesting ethics and morales
BDO is a great company to build a foundation for your career. The hours are fairly long but the work is interesting (corporate finance). I would recommend the firm as a whole.
BDO is an audit firm however as I was not an auditor the only role I could advance to was secretary and the ladies who worked there enjoyed their work so there was no room to advance further than being a receptionist and I needed more for myself hence the move to SAS
Pros
Small company
Cons
no room to advance further
It was a joy to work for a big company like BDO. The management team are great and will always assist. Problems are being addressed to immediately and adequate training is supplied.
Pros
Free breakfast
Cons
Professional working environment. Company still have humanity and fun in work environment, management is reasonable and helpfull. Lots of learning posibilities
Cons
well balanced company which always support employees via continously training coaching ongoing all support on development readily available good salary and benefits
Cons
The Management was good to everyone. Head of departments used to treat every individual with respect. Time was very important and clients came first. we used to work as team in my consulting department. we were putting extra hours to deliver good work to clients.
Pros
every last friday of the months the was drinks and free lunch
Cons
paid for long hours
BDO is such a nice and accommodative company to work for. The culture is very good and the enviroment is a conducive one and one can learn so much from. It is good for learning purposes. You get exposure to different industries and can attain very good skills that can be of great help in your career growth.
Pros
Fair chance to grow and develop
Cons
Long hours (sometimes)
BDO South Africa is a good company to work for. Its vision is very clear for its employees as it is communicated regularly.BDO strives to be an employer of choice.
Its audit based work requiring hard work, intelligence, effective communication and team work. interest work so as to develop skill and gain work experience.
Pros
Saica Articles
Cons
This is not an industry where you take breaks. It's face paced, dynamic, ever changing and pushes your limits. You will learn to manage your own time and workflow efficiently. To work well within your budgets and learn that admin done poorly the first time kills your profitability. The work environment is fun and the people you work with are well educated and interesting individuals all working with you to get the job done. Incentives are often clear and if you work hard your job is usually there at the end of the year (for you!). I found that the most challenging part of the job was reporting directly to the head partner. This also became the most rewarding part as after some time getting it right consistently meant constant positive feedback from all of the partners, who are firm and fair (as this is what's needed in the industry). You will need to take the initiative in looking at solving your own problems, there is no hand holding here and you need to fight for what you want out of your career. The best part of the job is the broad variety of client that you work on and the number of direct client contacts that you make. It makes you work better, because you know the people you are doing the work for. Great start to my professional financial career.
Pros
Great client exposure. Early responsibility. Consulting opportunities.
Cons
Long hours, tough deadlines. No study time allocation (can be negotiated)
Well balanced environment. Medium accounting firm so you get a lot of exposure in different industries and allows you to grow as an individual.
Pros
Month end drinks
Cons
Consistent dealines through out the year
BDO was a great learning expereince. During my 3 years , I have learnt to work with different people in different environments. It taught me how to apply my mind in different circumstances as well as to be prepared for the worst at all times as you never know if clients are going to prepared for the arrival of the audit team in the manner we expect. We travel to different clients throughout the country and audit the financial statements. I have worked on the different sections in the audit and apply to apply myself on all of these sections. My contract ends in May 2013 and i seek employment from that day moving forward.
Pros
meeting new people, travelling, learning experience
Cons
tight deadlines, long hours sometimes
The best thing about the firm are the people I work with. Due to the nature of our work we mostly work in teams and teamwork is very important. We can rely on eachother and this makes working very easy and efficient.Although the deadlines are tight the support from managers are good. They always willing to help and listen when you come to a dead end.A typicaal day at work for me starts as early as possible. I always feel we never have enough hours in the day. I get to office and plan my day. Prioritise which task is important and needs to get done first.I then take the day as it comes and adjsut my schedule as things change.Most challenging part of my job. Would probaly be the deadlines. In auditing you always work on a budget and these have to be met.I have learnt through my articles to manage my time efficiently, deal with complex issues and how to solve them, work in a team enviroment but also be a individual, work under pressure.
Pros
free breakfast at work