Bigen Africa
3,6 out of 5 stars.

Bigen Africa Employee Reviews

Bigen africa is a very friendly company with good and experienced management. the first time i was at work i was a bit lost but by the time goes on helped by management and stuff by now i have very good experience that i have gained from them. the most enjoyable part is when we are having fun with the top managers having charts and going to games so as to build team spirit.
Pros
free lunches and drinks on Friday
Cons
we worked long hours by choice like when i was on site visits
The environment is not bad, very professional but a bit of racism here and there. Vast salary differences between the two races... needs to be addressed. But overall, not a bad place to work in.
Pros
Canteen and a good social club
Cons
Race problems
Bigen is a company that ensures its brand is always protected and always manages all types of 'risk'. This creates a narrow view of the management team. -it stifles true growth within the management team. Bigen is made of civil engineering, management, electrical engineering, water engineering components. There seems to be unending internal squabbles. This has largely to do with an unhealthy competitive environment, to the downfall and detriment of the company. What I learned is to succeed in such companies one has to be a 'networker', not so much an 'engineer'. Be able to woo those in the management team, never disagree, do your work (even if that is the perception that you create), accept management (incompetent EE candidates often placed as front - even in very top structures)... The most enjoyable part of the job was to believe that the Values were Values that permeates the organisation.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Perceptions
One of the best company I have ever worked for.. Best company that's knows how to put their employees first. Management treated everyone equal........
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
8hrs
I really enjoyed working for Begin Africa even though it was for a period of one year because I was a learner technician. I wouldn't mind if I will have to go back and work for them.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long Hours
Bigen Africa is a steady and secure company to work for. As long as you pull your weight and continue to better your skills, you'll enjoy working with the team.
Pros
Good work life balance
This was a professional yet lenient company to work for. It had a good vibe about it and seniors had an open door policy. One could work flexi-time as well.
Pros
Flexi-time
Cons
Top management was unreachable
I really enjoy working at Bigen Africa Services. I was initially employed at the Joburg office but was relocated to the Pretoria office and this, unfortunately is the reason I am looking for another job. I reside in Randburg and the commute to Pretoria over the last 2 years has been taxing on me. I would highly recommend Bigen as an employer. They empower their staff with training and growth. My fellow colleagues are friendly and always willing to assist each other. It is overall a great working environment and I enjoy my job but I am not in the position to relocate because of my family, hence I must find a job in Johannesburg.
Pros
Afternoon off once a month is great and subsidised lunch
Cons
Travelling - I am travelling 130km a day
I enjoyed being in the company, I've explored into doing different duties. Liaising with different stakeholders has given me opportunities in broadening my work experience. Hardest part of the job was to be able to work under pressure and to work extended hours. I enjoyed working with diverse cultures.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Office politics
A typical day at bigen africa is being on site at exactly 7am in the morning and working up until 4:30pm. I had to supervise every single aspect of each top structure to ensure that they are build to the best of quality. Inspections start from cutting the platform and go up to the retention stage where the beneficiary has occupied the house. I learned a lot of management skills and I also learned how to work with different types of people. My co-workers were both supportive and provided assistance if I needed any and I wold do the same for them. We had a very good relationship with them. Hardest part of the job was working in the heat in summer but I ended up getting use to it. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I had passed the completion and handing over the keys to the beneficiaries. It is a very gratifying feeling to play a part in someone's happiness and joy.
Pros
Gain a lot of experience being on site
Cons
Working in the storching heat
Have developed personally while working for Bigen Africa. Professional working environment. High quality of facilities. Worked as a Construction Project Manager on a rural housing development at Ntsundwana Village, in Libode.
Pros
Professional work ethic
BIGEN Africa Services is one of the biggest consulting companies in South Africa. It also has tremendous potential to increase its influence to the rest of the continent (Africa). Motivation is also one of its major strengths. BIGEN Africa Services also finds time to provide fun moments to its workers even in the moments of a heavy working schedule. However, there appears to be some underlying problems that might affect the future growth of many consulting organisations and which, if not attended to promptly might lead to the collapse of such institutions. In recent times, as has been in most organisations, there has been a steady and rampant outflow of well skilled personnel due to inherent personal challenges, clashes, poor conditions of services etc. BIGEN Africa Services has therefore applied itself to address these challenges to be able to face up to the demands of the profession.
Pros
Freedom to intermingle
Cons
Increase size of the organisation
My typical day is starts normally busy ensuring all/any issues/ enquiries raised by Contractors/Clients are dealt with. During the course of the day quality control inspections are done with the odd design change inspections required where onsite decisions need to be made.
Pros
Cons
Long Hours
it is a ggod company to work for but there is this mentality of been white and black. i would want to work again for bigen provided there is a change at management level.
Pros
when meetings yes we have lunches.
Cons
normal hours
Most days I get in early so I can get emails done and be ready for the project team meeting. On a typical day the last week, we had a late change from the client to deal with. I got one of my colleague to do a quick technical feasibility analysis whilst I went to see the my Manager. He explained how important it was, so I reviewed the plan and found a way to get the change in without harming the critical path. The team weren't too happy to have to squeeze in another change, but when I explained how helpful it would be to the customer they got down to updating the specification and use cases. I bought a pizza to keep them all happy and to let us steal a bit of space at lunchtime. We'd got it done by three and, with my colleague mucking in we got everything else back on track by the end of the day.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Long Hours
Contact clients on a daily basis and get them to come in and sort out their accounts. I have learnt that the customer is always right and even when they are rude I should remain professional at all times as I will be representing my company at that time. Always listen to the client's concerns as that might be the reason they are not following up on the account. Every one works on their own initiative and has to give feedback on the accounts they work on so as to show their production. The challenging part would have to be liasoning between the municipality and the clients as I can not pressurize the municipality to fix a few things fast or give the clients the feedback they want in a timely fashion.
Cons
Long hours and working under pressure with no rewards or benefits
Deadlines. I always make sure that I complete my duties, if I don't get to complete my duties at workplace then I make sure that I complete them at home after work. I believe each and every company should have a strict culture or management. I get along well with my co-workers. Inspecting in a hot sunny day. Reading drawings and comparing prices
Pros
To be engaged in new challenges
Cons
Staying in a office doing nothing
I was employed on a contract basis only and wished with all my heart for a permanent position.
Pros
Discounted lunches on tic till pay day
Cons
No permanent position avaliable
work starts at 7:30, log onto my pc open my emails to see if there are any urgent emails that need to be replied. Then i will have my coffee break and start on my arrange supervisor sect 57 que, print out default notices, call clients to come into our offices to make arrangements for payment. check up on accounts to be consoladated, make cheque requisitions or do sheriff payments when issued with cheques. Pick up returns from sheriffs offices or drop off documents at klerk of the courts office so we can be issued with case numbers. Make sure that section 57 letters as well as garnishes are posted correctly. I have learnt that not everyone is your friend, and that management is not always fair. Some managers just dont know how to manage. Some co-workers are helpfull and some don't like to share their knowlege and you have to learn to work around that. The hardest part of my job is when you have to meet deadlines. I generally enjoy all aspects of my job.
Pros
free lunch when it our birthday's, good bonus at the end of the year and also year end party.
Cons
no benefits such as medical aid, pension fund
The company is good, but the management is a little bit racialist. My work entailed to monitor the project. Viz: earthworks, drainage, priming and resurfacing.
Pros
When time allows
Cons
Great company to work for, great people to work with. Management look after their staff. Can be a bit stressful when having to deal with clients, you know really cannot afford to pay their account.One of the highlights of this position is being able to measure your success by the outstanding debt you've been able to recover.
Pros
performance based bonuses
Cons
position contract based.