British American Tobacco

British American Tobacco Employee Reviews in Stellenbosch, Western Cape

I'm a qualified accountant under SAIPA with more than 10 years of experience. I'm currently working for EOH Mthombo who is having more that 700 companies under EOH Mthombo. I work for their shared services in Western Cape with a portfolio of 11 companies with different needs. We do: Balance sheet recons, Vat Returns, EMP201's, creditors recons, debtors recons, payments and the whole cashbook function for local companies who also have a few foreign transactions.
Pros
Good working environment
Best company, Nice staff, safe environment - Management are consistent and helpful. Always had assistance when I didn't know something, trying is 100% Wonderful building with cafeteria, food was affordable and nice People are all around helpful and friendly, close knit family environment while very professional. One of my best jobs ever! Sadly my contract ended and they moved to the Waterfront, but as far as I know they are still the best!
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
I worked for the finance support function of BAT called BASS AME. We worked with all the rules that was applicable to the BAT culture and environment. It was a challenging work stimulus that drove me to where I am today. I was privaleged that we were not micro managed as we did what was expected. BAT has a perfect balance between work and other activities such as regular team building events that really gave us a sense of appreciation as a global BAT employee.
Pros
Free samples of BAT products such as tobacco
Cons
commuting to work
Great company to work for and to be associated with. Creative and innovative business knowing where they want to be and how to reach it. Brand driven.
A lot has changed since I stopped working at BAT but I loved the relaxed, friendly atmosphere. BAT really looked after their staff and potential for career growth was good until it needed to downsize the market in which I was working. You are rewarded for hard work.
I was only hired for a contract while somebody was on maternity leave. Lots of incentives. Lots of roadshows to keep company spirit up and lots of goody bags
Pros
Cafeteria, Playrooms, Focus rooms
Cons
so sad it was only a contract, would have liked to say on
It was the first time I had worked in a corporate environment and I feel I gained valuable experience whilst there for my three month temp contract. Managers and colleagues alike were supportive and happy people.
Being a global company, it allows the opportunity for individuals to experience work and cultures in different countries. It is passionate about what it does, and only employs the best people in a very contentious environment.
Pros
Excellent remuneration
Cons
Day-to-day we conducted reports on merchandising stock, requests and variances. I learned how to work with SAP in a form of reporting and monitoring. Management was easy to work with and workplace culture was in a good condition.
Pros
Less pressure
Cons
office based work
I had a very good time working for British American Tobacco. I practised everything I have learnt at the University there. Did my practical work there, learnt how to troubleshoot instrumentation there. British American Tobacco made me fall in love even more with Analytical work.
Pros
Refreshments
Hardworking individuals with lots of funny moments, yet all work/tasks are completed on a timely and efficient basis.
Pros
Productive team members
Cons
Traveling distance to office
I learnt how to be fast and accurate and also work under pressure because during month and year ends we would process over 120 invoices a day instead of 83 invoices that should be processed on a daily basis.
During the first week I was involved in a project to update the templates so that they can be user friendly to the customers. The project was a success because that reduced a lot of rejections due to incomplete templates.
I worked at BAT for the past 8 years , and what i like most about the company is the loyal and hard workers thad i worked with , the company has a nice job culture and a very good mangement system .
It is one of the best companies that I've worked for. My team was very diverse, but all of us get together very well. Team members were very supportive of each other and were always willing to help.
. I find it most motivating to share with other people the exhilaration and experience of working for a global company. I soon realized that personal development is very important if I want to grow as a person and move into more senior in life. BAT has given me that opportunity to view life as a learning experience and being able to seek challenge.
Pros
team support
Cons
no security
Fun and Energetic... Rewarding Hard working Hard Fun Safe and Secure Hard work often rewarded excellent development interventions global opportunities for growth
Pros
Fullfilment
Cons
Working for BATSA was very much exciting especially when we do corporate social responsibility projects by helping to build and paint hoses of disadvantaged people.
Pros
Free lunch, free tobacco
Cons
Normal hours
I LOVED working for BAT and regret the day that I resigned! Wish I had never left!!! Thank you BAT for 7 and a half years of great working experience and wonderful team experience and sport days and the best Year End parties ever! I would not mind to be a Receptionist again for you until retiring age so please let me know if I can still get a job again! Kind regards Jeanette You were the BEST company that I have EVER worked for!
Pros
Cheap lunches and happy employees all around!
Cons
No cons whatsoever!
Great company to work for. Very business where the culture of high performance is upheld. Very high spirit of competitiveness amongst teh workers with strong teamwork values.
Pros
typical multinational where opportunities for growth are endless
Cons
long hours, frequent travel, too competitive