Cape Peninsula University of Technology

Cape Peninsula University of Technology Employee Reviews for Laboratory Technician

Laboratory Technician6 reviews
South Africa6 reviews
4,0
A typical day at work would be to communicate between the important role players involved with the project being worked on e.g. as a assistant resident engineer I had to issue instructions to the contractor on the project in terms of any works that had to be completed such as replacing of cracked or broken kerbs. Other responsibilities included to do sewer line inspections e.g. whether the pipeline conforms to being straight without any blockages within the pipe as well as the pressure of the sewer line being tested. As a laboratory technician I learned that teaching students practicals within the laboratories needed some patience in terms of allowing them to get familiar with tests that is actually applicable within the industry. A desirable workplace culture would be to work in an environment where each team player does what is expected of them. Regarding management, with reasonable management systems in place any project can be a success. The hardest part of the job would be to work with a team member that doesn't fulfill their part within a specific project. The most enjoyable part of the job would be when the necessary expectations of a project falls into place and the project is finished on time while working with team players that aspires to resolve problems as it comes along during the project.
Pros
Being able to experience a community that doesn't cause problems during a project.
Cons
Breakdowns of plant that supplies asphalt material.
5,0
I developed a lot of skills in the working environment of this company, got the ability to take initiative, to be innovative, highly motivated, self-disciplined, reliable and able to handle pressure and work towards deadline accomplishment.team work and team building skills. I have gained excellent communication and interpersonal skills, along with the ability to solve problems and handle challenging situations.
Pros
sometimes free lunches during departmental meetings though.
Cons
we have flexibility when it comes to working hours
5,0
Always friendly day with the first year students , learn trouble shooting and repairing electronics equipment. Dealing with first students,mentoring.
3,0
The daily duties are house keeping, Instrument operation and assist practical classes. I learned how to operate HPLC, GC, uv-spectroscopy and gravimetry, the company has a great managment. The hardest part of the job is the balance calibration, the most enjoyable part of the job is the house keeping part.
Pros
Free lunch
5,0
I am working in the Lab as the Lab Technician and I am dealing with lots of students and these are people from different back rounds and cultures. So I need to have my own rules in my working station so that everybody can respect me as I would respect his/her job as well. One day I had a group of students coming in to do practicals and usually I can accommodate a certain number of groups as the lab is small and is servicing students from different level.

So I went through the list that they use to make their own availability depending on their time schedules from their class. This certain group apparently they booked for 11H30 and they were the 5th group to book same time and my rule are stated in the front page of the booking time sheets that I can only accommodate only 4 groups per time slot. Then I heard to chase them away because the was no space for them in the lab and that was the biggest mistake a did coz one student said a I am a lab technician that is full of nonsense and I heard that and I called him for questioning and I also wanted him to repeat what he just said.

It was a had mission because he kept on saying he didn't say that and his group mates as well here covering him, so I had to report him to my senior technician. Simple because I couldn't understand how come a student can address me like that coz I haven't done anything wrong on my side and it was them who couldn't comply with my rules. One thing I have learnt is that, I need to be patient and professional all the time coz I am dealing with immature and stubborn people sometime and not everybody will
 - more...
5,0
Monday was a very busy and interesting day of servicing and cheking instrument and then i could learn a lot that day,
different thing like what is the used of a long distance automatic relay

the management was impecable

very good relation with all my co-worker

i did not realy fund because with my co-worker friend we used to work as a team work so we could solve most of the problem at our section

the ost enjoyable part of the work was when we get how to solve and we solve a problem
Pros
it does not matter for me
Cons
as long the wantme at work i will be there