Cape Peninsula University of Technology

Cape Peninsula University of Technology Employee Reviews for Lecturer

Lecturer15 reviews
South Africa15 reviews
5,0
I had to work in different laboratories located in three campuses of the institution in order to complete my project. It ended up being a great experience.
2,0
Management is non-existent, no job security, academic staff treated with disregard. Even though I left the institute under amicable conditions, they refused to provide any form of references for future employers. Students are treated with no regard whatsoever, and is only seen as an income.
Pros
none whatsoever
4,0
I was appointed at Cape Peninsula University of Technology as a commercial law lecturer. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the institution as academic staff were provided with the necessary support.
Pros
A pleasant work environment.
Cons
None that I can think of.
3,0
As a part time lecturer, I prepared the curricula and teacher materials for first year students in one of the urban planning subjects. I would ensure that all presentations, copy material and equipment were ready before each class. The management style was very open and flexible which gave me the opportunity to explore new teaching methods. I thoroughly enjoyed interacting with the students and inspiring them to be excited to learn about the urban planning industry. I would say the hardest part was getting students to be motivated when they were under lots of pressure with other tasks, but I tried to incorporate more activities to be completed in class that would allow them to have less home tasks.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Limited resources
3,0
A typical day starts in the morning and ends late in the evening with various activities and consultations with students and meetings.

I have acquired competency and skills related to lecturing in System analysis and design, research project coordination, research methodology, IT research project planning and supervision of postgraduate research.

People deal with management decisions on matters arising on a daily basis if necessary. However, there is room for more inclusiveness and diversification of decision making.

Work culture is reasonably acceptable. There is room for more openness and recognition of others seen as minority.

Dealing with issues that compromise the standards and lax in administrative matters.

Interacting and engaging with students, seeing their growth and understanding coming through.

Supervision and mentoring.
Pros
research team and colleages
Cons
Long hours, no loyalty from authorities, no sence of appreciation
4,0
I wonderful place to work. Management is very warm and understanding. Development is always welcomed. Training always on the fore-front. Very nice staff functions.
Pros
lovely colleagues
Cons
limited advancement
4,0
Managed to learn a lot and work as a team. Lesson were very well equipped
Students were able to access content via the LMS of the university called Blackboard
3,0
It was a great environment to work in as you had a lot of leeway to self-direct the way you would present your subject. Your work was however subject to reviews carried out by the Head of the Department. Management was very supportive and all the necessary resources were provided to improve the delivery of education.

I Had a fantastic relationship with all my colleagues.

The most enjoyable part was to experience how the students respond to positive engagement around their learning.

The most difficult part for me personally is the demand that we should further our own academic qualifications. The toughest problem I experienced, and many of my colleagues confirmed this, is that you can only achieve this objective if you were prepared to neglect your students.
Pros
Opportunities to learn, numerous development workshops
Cons
The focus on chasing paper qualifications and neglecting the core focus of the university, which is to teach
4,0
I lecture Business Computer Applications for different Faculty departments. I lecture undergraduate and part time students from elementary to advance levels.
I set up exam question papers, moderation and assignments. I mentor students with research and also lecture Block Release students around various cities as well as neighbouring countries.

My job is exciting, challenging and is very dynamic.

My greatest joy is dealing with dedicated students that have enormous passion for learning new concepts in the ever evolving world of Information Technology.
4,0
It was fun working there. My co-workers were very friendly and we worked as a team in our department.

The hardest part of the job was the long practical hours and some very difficult students.

The enjoyable part was the passing of my chemistry knowledge to students.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Cape Peninsula University of Technology?
5,0
1. I enjoy being self driven. This is what I have
Enjoyed from the management approach at my

Work place.

2. The team spirit from coleagues.
Pros
Faculty management free launches
Cons
Inter capmus teaching / travelling
4,0
Enjoys teaching economics to students especially when they realise for the first time that economics is in fact the everyday business of life.
3,0
Preparing for a lesson and excuting it with +-50 students. I have learned how to address all types of students with various needs, wether physical, emotional and academically challenged. Management allows you to be flexible within the rules and rugulations of the organisation. Co-workers are helpful and work together to always find new ways to improve the lectures and content of the lectures to benefit the students and keep up with what business requires. The hardest part would be to see a hard working student fail to circumstances and you being unable to assist them. Most enjoyable part is to see just how much a student has grown and to watch them uncover and devlop their potential.
Pros
Very flexible times
Cons
Long hours of marking
3,0
A day starts early with preparation for the students , they are the main focus. Always ready and available to meet the day head on. This takes patience and understanding as each student is different.
I have learned to adapt and resolve any crisis and maintain professionalism through out.

A group of you and talented women who work well under pressure and provide support in all aspects of the job and then some,

Hardest part of the job is seeing a passionate student not being able to study because of financial difficulties.

Most enjoyable part is seeing a student who has never been able to use her hands, learn a skill for life.
Pros
Great work hours and vacation time
Cons
Room for advancement
3,0
I used to work two days a week i.e. Thursday and Friday afternoon. A typical day consisted of a 2 hour practical session with two groups of students (with about 5 members). I have learned to how to deal with people from different backgrounds and ethnic groups. The hardest part of the job was marking the practical reports/
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cape Peninsula University of Technology. Our community is ready to answer.
3,9