Cape Peninsula University of Technology

Cape Peninsula University of Technology Employee Reviews for Tutor

Tutor28 reviews
South Africa28 reviews
4,0
It was enjoyable because I loved teaching accounting, its my passion, however challenging because I had to help many students and also keep up with my own work.
4,0
The Cape Peninsula University of Technology is a very powerful institution in terms of technical learning and working as I have experienced when I worked as a student tutor
5,0
Working at Cape Peninsula University of Technology as students was very interesting. It helped to gain an effective and efficient interpersonal and communication skills ( verbal and non verbal).
3,0
I would attend my supervisors classes to get a brief overview of what he does in class, set up a time and date for the next tutoring session if any additional sessions are required by the students.
4,0
Being a good self-management which involves being punctual, flexible, getting work done on time, and being willing to improve my own performance, and also being patient with everyone.
Pros
Knowledge
Cons
Communication
5,0
The academic space I was placed in, was an an opportunity for me to retain the knowledge in Accounting of Financial Accounting 1. Hence, I was student tutor in Financial Accounting 1. The environment of the accounting sphere helped me to tackle questions that I had not experience in my first year. The students who attended the tutoring sessions were from different groups and different lectures. I had the opportunity experience how different students think about the same question, because the sessions were interactive, it was fun.
Pros
Learning
Cons
Time
3,0
It was fine, we received tutoring training and started tutoring. They deducted 60% of the salary to pay fees. A typical day would be a tutoring class or consultation with one student
1. Good day at work.

2. Learnt about lecturing, tutoring, tutorials and spot tests invigilating and scripts marking and

3. Strong leadership.

4. Workplace cultures are role playing, task oriented, being

innovative and good student services.

5. I enjoyed working with the lecturers and student tutors.
5,0
I had flexible working hours, made it easy to attend my classes and finish my assignment. i learned how to manage my time effectively. most students i assisted have different racial backgrounds so it was interesting to learn from others. the hardest part of my job is when my classes clashed with my own timetable, students are demanding and expect you to assist them with everything, but i enjoyed the experience, i was able to stand in front of people and speak which helped in my confidence.
Pros
earn pocket money
Cons
flexible hours of work
Tutor
Key responsibilities: reviewing learning material taught in class with students, monitor student academic performance; provide support to the module facilitator with research and practical sessions.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
4 hours
4,0
If I ever had to re-do my studies, I would choose CPUT over and over again.

The institution allows you to work and study at the same time which assists you in paying your debt as a student.

Working in a multi-cultured environment made this experience priceless.
Pros
Environment is fun
Cons
Payment not always on time as a student tutor
5,0
I am good listener who is Confident and smart.I like to work and help those who want to be assisted. My every day motor is What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Pros
laughter
Cons
long breaks
4,0
CPUT was a great place for academic experience, helping students with their school work and also boosting self confidence, Ilearnt more about coaching
Pros
Career boost
Cons
Work load was demanding with studies also
5,0
it was a flexible job that allowed me to work at my free time and i get paid according to the hours worked. it was right at the university were i was schooling. i was selected based on my peformance during and out of class.i assisted first and second year students in their subjects and they were really thankful
4,0
I was forced to be affirmative on daily basis, because my mentor was pushing me to learn as much as I could. I've learned how to work with a team and meeting deadlines, punctuality and respecting the work I did. I was not allowed to stay behind to finish my work as they didn't allow me to work overtime even if I was expecting to get paid. Enjoyable time of the job was to analyze samples, troubleshooting and mostly achieving the required recoveries and grades.
Pros
Given opportunity to learn how to troubleshoot
Cons
Being limited to work specific hours
5,0
Being able to assist other students really made me feel proud and helpful and really made me feel good about myself. The management was very helpful especially when I was asked a question that I didn't understand I could easily go and ask them.
Pros
indepth knowledge of the tutored subject.
3,0
being a tutor at CPUT is amazing because its an tertiary institution of learning, where one gets to assist struggling students with the school work related problems with the assistance of lecturers.
5,0
I learned how to work with people in teams. How to improve your communication skill. The most enjoyable part was helping students understand what they didnt understand before
Pros
free materila
Cons
no support from supervisors
3,0
It was great there because of the great learning enviroment and my team was very supportive .

my team and myself shared responsiblities equally and fairly.
3,0
The experience as tutor and at the same time student was wonderful. It made me understand the definition of what it mean to work under pressure but as always every single good experience also have bad ones, and for this specific case i would say that there wasn't enough respects from the institution towards students,lack of payments.
4,0
I assist students who are struggling academically and socially in their first year at university. I am there as their support structure so that should they feel that they are in a bit of a scuffle with their studies, they should know that there is a person who is there to help them to get through it all. Each of my colleagues and I have been assigned students that we have to focus on, however they are not as actively involved with their students as I am with mine and their students feel neglected. I, therefore end up assisting the other students as well. The ability to pass down the little knowledge i have to the younger students is what makes me enjoy my job.
Pros
Sharing of ideas
Cons
Very little time.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cape Peninsula University of Technology. Our community is ready to answer.
3,9