Cape Union Mart

Cape Union Mart Employee Reviews

South Africa229 reviews

3,5Work-Life Balance

Redundant

Working at the company gave me alot of skills that I ddnt know I have,and it also taught me alot about having character and knowing when,how and where to bring out your full potential.

Pros

Benifits

Cons

Poor management

Fun and leaning environment

The company was like any other companies deficulties, problem and respect but the management are not well professional so in that case it seems to block the company image

Pros

Normal

Cons

Reasonable

Good working environment

I was very excited to work for the company, but I was disappointed of the Management and unfair treatment and very much inequalities of the way of movement.

Pros

Provident fund

Stressful

No growth, long hours, not being appreciated. Employs managers with no people skills. As a sales assistant you train these new people but when n it comes to your growth, you are not equipped enough.

Pros

1 hour lunch

Cons

R6000-R11000 depending or sales and experience level otherwise the is a minimum pay about six gees R6000

Great company with experienced works just need to have a balanced between work and life and some management to understand good Profesional manners when it comes to correcting or having differences at work.

Cape Union Mart

Awesome company with top class people and great company benefits. I'm a current Store Manager with the company. They are very people focused with a real passion to improve staff abilities . High paced environment but also high stress . Don't think you will have a relaxed , do nothing days at work . Only downside are the long hours BUT that is the nature of retail.

Productive and fun environment

Just like any retail store, during festive times the store can get really busy which will require you to be more involved but management is there to assist you all the way. The High targets motivate you to work harder and the benefits are good.

Benefits

Cons

Long hours depending on your store hours

Stressful but character building

A good experience if working part time. Not a full time career. You learn alot on the job and really helps build a tough skin. It's great meeting new people and learning to work with people from different backgrounds. Management is quite biased and old fashioned dependant on branch.

Educational and enjoyable

My experience was very educational, enjoyable, fun , exciting, productive and hard work. I truly learnt a lot and my former colleagues and I worked as a team and it was very productive and there was always healthy completion between us.

Productive fun knowledgeable

Cape Union Mart is the best retail company there's a lot things you learn and one thing I like you grow that helps a lot for inside, out side opportunities from my side I would like go back work for the company.

Pros

Incentives

Cons

9hours

Very stressful, toxic working environment

Cape Union Mart is a great company but, the management is not doing justice to what the company stands for and it’s values.Employees are not valued at all, there’s a lot of favouritism. It’s not for the faint hearted at all.

Pros

Incentives

Cons

Long hours, working on weekends and public holidays

High paced viby and fun culture

Very much performing driven.Leadership very friendly at first but soon you'll realize that there is a lack of support and leaders are over worked and under paid for the amount of pressure and responsibility they put under. So much that they end up making each other look bad in order to be promoted. Brilliant culture the business portrays to the industry but it's really not the case here. In all my 18 years of retail I've never experienced.

Productive and fun

Good companyFast paceStressfulFunTransparencyEnergyTeam orientatedGood managementGood staffHigh levels of pace and productivityTop level management engagement

Benefits

Cons

Did not support me, did not feel listened to as an employee and would always have salary issues.

I worked for Cape Union Mart for 6 months, and in that 6 months I've had salary problems almost every month, they either don't count all my days or just disregard the times I work, it's at the point where it's just frustrating. The energy provided in the store is amazing but from head offices side, they are just pathetic and making their employees lives difficult.

Cons

Salary issues, Uniform has to be paid for out of own pocket

Store environment was great but no further opportunity for growth

No growth opportunities, favouritism with management and upper levels. Certain policies only favoured head office staff.Store environment was great because its almost 9 hours sometimes more of your day,so it's important to make it great more so for the team.

Very fast paced

Very competitive. Very fast paced and sales driven. Clothes are too expensive so only few customers can buy which means low sales making for staff and targets

Pros

Lots of benefits

Cons

Low salary

Unfair distribution amongst staffManagers not leaders

If you are wanting a job straight out of high school it's a great place to start. However not an ideal place to build a career.Plan for your future. Go study. Working in retail shouldn't be your future. Unless it's something you really want to pursue.

Pros

Staff uniform discounts, Excellent discount on products, One of the best salary increases, Great benefits such as provident and medical aid, Company offers bursaries if it's aligned with marketing, Business and HR.

Cons

Bad management, Long hours If you don't earn enough medical aid might not be for you, If the bursary is approved you need to payback the money or work your time back to the company.

A good place to build character, but it still has racist tendencies

Arrive on time, finger print sign in, put your tag on, if manager doesn't have ready task for you, attend any available customers, else, fix merchandise and or fill in empty store position. Half way through the day, take one hour break, before day ends, you take on cleaning task, such as sweeping, mopping or dusting, finger print sign out and lock up.Skills Learned:Sales and communication:My sale experience has taught me that, customers have to be and feel heard before they will listen to what I have to say. Customers are likely to return if they feel helped and appreciated.Stock management:I’m familiar with the stock counting process and I have experienced what is like to lose stock to theft. Both from with in and without. Punctual:I have lost a job for being late before. I also know what its like to loose opportunities because of lack of punctuality.Communication:My sales experience have taught me that the mouth and the ears go hand in had, this has made me dependable and responsible. Management changes, every once in a while, some management, will be awesome, and some management will be unbearable.workplace culture, is not so great, often depends on management.Hardest part of job for me, was making sales, on days I wasn't having a good day. otherwise, job is relatively easy. Most enjoyable part of job is connection you build over time.

Pros

Up to 65% store discounts for employees

Cons

poor and often negative, gossip culture.

Very fastpace and well organised

Fastpase but very rewarding highly recommended company to work for,open communication all the way to ceo. Keeping up with trends in the outdoor retail industry.

Pros

Bonus comission annual leave promotion

Great Envoirenment

Really fun and productive work environment with a great management staff and work ethic , work hard and you’ll be reward. You will learn alot about a vast variety of products and will gain a ton of experience in various fields

Pros

Fun Environment

Cons

No weekends off

Great place to work if you're a permanent employee. Trash if you're on a festive season contract.

What started off as a wonderful growing experience working at Keedo Kids MoA had quickly soured due to bad management and miscommunication. It was a very hard decision to leave but I had to because the environment was toxic.I wouldn't recommend.

Pros

None.

Cons

Long hours and bullying from management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cape Union Mart. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,5 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance
3,5 out of 5 stars for Salary/Benefits
3,6 out of 5 stars for Job Security/Advancement
3,5 out of 5 stars for Management
3,9 out of 5 stars for Culture
  • Cape Union Mart
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?