Cape Union Mart

Cape Union Mart Employee Reviews

South Africa221 reviews

3,5Work-Life Balance

Productive and fun

Good companyFast paceStressfulFunTransparencyEnergyTeam orientatedGood managementGood staffHigh levels of pace and productivityTop level management engagement

Benefits

Cons

Very stressful, toxic working environment

Cape Union Mart is a great company but, the management is not doing justice to what the company stands for and it’s values.Employees are not valued at all, there’s a lot of favouritism. It’s not for the faint hearted at all.

Pros

Incentives

Cons

Long hours, working on weekends and public holidays

High paced viby and fun culture

Very much performing driven.Leadership very friendly at first but soon you'll realize that there is a lack of support and leaders are over worked and under paid for the amount of pressure and responsibility they put under. So much that they end up making each other look bad in order to be promoted. Brilliant culture the business portrays to the industry but it's really not the case here. In all my 18 years of retail I've never experienced.

Did not support me, did not feel listened to as an employee and would always have salary issues.

I worked for Cape Union Mart for 6 months, and in that 6 months I've had salary problems almost every month, they either don't count all my days or just disregard the times I work, it's at the point where it's just frustrating. The energy provided in the store is amazing but from head offices side, they are just pathetic and making their employees lives difficult.

Cons

Salary issues, Uniform has to be paid for out of own pocket

Store environment was great but no further opportunity for growth

No growth opportunities, favouritism with management and upper levels. Certain policies only favoured head office staff.Store environment was great because its almost 9 hours sometimes more of your day,so it's important to make it great more so for the team.

Very fast paced

Very competitive. Very fast paced and sales driven. Clothes are too expensive so only few customers can buy which means low sales making for staff and targets

Pros

Lots of benefits

Cons

Low salary

Unfair distribution amongst staffManagers not leaders

If you are wanting a job straight out of high school it's a great place to start. However not an ideal place to build a career.Plan for your future. Go study. Working in retail shouldn't be your future. Unless it's something you really want to pursue.

Pros

Staff uniform discounts, Excellent discount on products, One of the best salary increases, Great benefits such as provident and medical aid, Company offers bursaries if it's aligned with marketing, Business and HR.

Cons

Bad management, Long hours If you don't earn enough medical aid might not be for you, If the bursary is approved you need to payback the money or work your time back to the company.

A good place to build character, but it still has racist tendencies

Arrive on time, finger print sign in, put your tag on, if manager doesn't have ready task for you, attend any available customers, else, fix merchandise and or fill in empty store position. Half way through the day, take one hour break, before day ends, you take on cleaning task, such as sweeping, mopping or dusting, finger print sign out and lock up.Skills Learned:Sales and communication:My sale experience has taught me that, customers have to be and feel heard before they will listen to what I have to say. Customers are likely to return if they feel helped and appreciated.Stock management:I’m familiar with the stock counting process and I have experienced what is like to lose stock to theft. Both from with in and without. Punctual:I have lost a job for being late before. I also know what its like to loose opportunities because of lack of punctuality.Communication:My sales experience have taught me that the mouth and the ears go hand in had, this has made me dependable and responsible. Management changes, every once in a while, some management, will be awesome, and some management will be unbearable.workplace culture, is not so great, often depends on management.Hardest part of job for me, was making sales, on days I wasn't having a good day. otherwise, job is relatively easy. Most enjoyable part of job is connection you build over time.

Pros

Up to 65% store discounts for employees

Cons

poor and often negative, gossip culture.

Very fastpace and well organised

Fastpase but very rewarding highly recommended company to work for,open communication all the way to ceo. Keeping up with trends in the outdoor retail industry.

Pros

Bonus comission annual leave promotion

Great Envoirenment

Really fun and productive work environment with a great management staff and work ethic , work hard and you’ll be reward. You will learn alot about a vast variety of products and will gain a ton of experience in various fields

Pros

Fun Environment

Cons

No weekends off

Great place to work if you're a permanent employee. Trash if you're on a festive season contract.

What started off as a wonderful growing experience working at Keedo Kids MoA had quickly soured due to bad management and miscommunication. It was a very hard decision to leave but I had to because the environment was toxic.I wouldn't recommend.

Pros

None.

Cons

Long hours and bullying from management.

Productive an enjoyable

I have never seen a perfect company culture like cape union mart. I was so excited we j was promoted to work as a footwear managerI left because I had to go look after my sick mother. But I lost my job, but to this day m still trying to get back to work there again

Management sucks

Overall nice place to work at. My problem is with the management, everything will be rainbows and sunshine until store leaders feel pressure from area managers then start throwing the junior stuff under the bus. I enjoyed the branch in the Eastern Cape, but Johannesburg branches are the worst!

Best work place

it's a good company & it has the best working experience & working conditions , healthy working conditions and the best working experience one would wish to have, I can work there if I could get another chance because I resigned

Productivity

It a very good company to work for.It a family company cares for workers.The most important is know what you to do and do it correctly.And make your monthly target

Cons

8hrs

Cape Union Mart statement Lee recommended for anybody in the sales industry development training a successful career path building

Stand out Culture Awareness and Brand Ambassador leading Legacy company. Great career path opportunities and leading Management with Great training camps.

Always room to grow

Starting out at cape union mart was great, what I noticed working there is that you cant have an opinion. All managers have an opinion of how they would like things to be done, they disagree with each other leaving the store staff stressed and not knowing whose direction to take.

Pros

No pros

Cons

Long hours, too much pressure from managers

I found it so nice to work there, At my team side as replenishers we worked so hard as a team always learning new things, we were always making sure we reach the target.

Productive and fun , surprises

Trainings gives u an idea and how to communicate with people. You feel u are part of the family yes they were up and down but more up than downsA plan which you are given opportunities and growth. I am thankful to had the opportunity to work and meet the people I build the genuine relationships with. Should I work for the company again definitely and I would recommend any to work for them.

No growth

Culture is not consistent. No growth. They rather employ external people than to grow their own that's in the company for years. Lots of training.....

Pros

Hour lunch

Cons

Fun work place, professional and people orientated

Great company, team orientated environment. 50% Medical aid of whole family a very nice benefit, Paid overtime, high pension contribution. Very nice company to work for but unfortunately limited growth opportunities and only instore training.

Pros

Insentives, Paid overtime and casual environment

Cons

Limited growth opportunities, long Hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cape Union Mart. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,5 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance
3,6 out of 5 stars for Salary/Benefits
3,5 out of 5 stars for Job Security/Advancement
3,5 out of 5 stars for Management
3,9 out of 5 stars for Culture
  • Cape Union Mart
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?