Cape Union Mart

Cape Union Mart Employee Reviews for Store Manager

Store Manager21 reviews
South Africa21 reviews

3,5Work-Life Balance

Store environment was great but no further opportunity for growth

No growth opportunities, favouritism with management and upper levels. Certain policies only favoured head office staff.Store environment was great because its almost 9 hours sometimes more of your day,so it's important to make it great more so for the team.

Very fastpace and well organised

Fastpase but very rewarding highly recommended company to work for,open communication all the way to ceo. Keeping up with trends in the outdoor retail industry.

Pros

Bonus comission annual leave promotion

Always room to grow

Starting out at cape union mart was great, what I noticed working there is that you cant have an opinion. All managers have an opinion of how they would like things to be done, they disagree with each other leaving the store staff stressed and not knowing whose direction to take.

Pros

No pros

Cons

Long hours, too much pressure from managers

Fun work place, professional and people orientated

Great company, team orientated environment. 50% Medical aid of whole family a very nice benefit, Paid overtime, high pension contribution. Very nice company to work for but unfortunately limited growth opportunities and only instore training.

Pros

Insentives, Paid overtime and casual environment

Cons

Limited growth opportunities, long Hours.

Exciting and educating

Cape union mart is a family orientated company, You feel part of the family and the history when employed or representing the company on a daily basis.

Great company values

New client base is more challenging due to the expectations of the company. Customers are number one and we go out of our way to ensure customer satisfaction.

Fun workplace

Its a fun place to work in and theres lot of growth opportunities... everyone lives the company's values n culture. We get paid fairly and theres always competition to boost our energ levels and our hard work is appreciated

Management at store good , Regional it's different but DM's super

Work you can learn lot of things and really become a force to be reckoned with. Culture is good on paper and at DM level 😊 But at regional level it's a different story . There is no Ubuntu

exhausting

I learned allot at this company about what it was that I really want to do with my time. they gave me so many opportunities that I will be great full for

Cons

Best company I have every worked for.

Family owned business that truly cares for its staff and wants to see them grow and develop. Great career path when opportunities are available. Staff are encouraged to chase their dreams and become what they dream to be. Company offers great perks and incentives and the basic salary is very competitive.

Pros

Care about their people

Cons

Not enough presence in Durban

I have learnt so much more from them. They all about having fun at work and motivated staff is crucial.

Cape Union Mart is a great company and have grown so much since I have been there. As a company we still showing a profit while other companies are battling. Their core values are Trust, Innovation and passion and that is what makes the company work like a well oiled machine. It's been an experience that I won't easy forget. They also pay bonuses without even thinking twice about it and they just want to give money away by creating competitions so they can empower staff financially in these tough times.

Pros

They want to give out money In the form of competitions and incentives

Cons

Long hours at store level

The Staff

The staff is a joy to work with. The training sessions results in great fun. Our products are interesting and of good quality. Great support between stores.

Pros

Free Funeral Benefit

Cons

Long Hours, Inconsistent off days and weekends

Great culture

Dare to lead team iq to the tip. Great culture and great teams. Paid to have fun.Outdor experiances with a dedicated team in the l & d deparrtments. Always fun.

Great Company Culture

Cape Union Mart is a great company to work for, namely due to the fact that they have a awesome company culture. You really feel that you are valued and that you can make a difference in the business.

Pros

Personal Growth

Cons

Long Hours

Productive and funny working outdoore store

It's.a awesome company to work for the culture is amazing policies are online with the company goals and they invest in their people. We meet different people dually to chatty with as well as sell the.product too. The most amazing part is that we have given an authority to be innovative when we are merchandising our stock so that it can be productive for the business.

Pros

Awesome

Cons

long hour shifts

Fun and funky

Really a fun and funky place to work as you are not restricted to anything. A day at work is challenging as you have a daily target and the store does not cater for everyone. ( 18 - 40 ). Being a manager at that store is to really think out of the box and to be pro-active in store and with customers.

Customer service, Objectives are to grow work colleagues, Best part of the job was seeing the company growing from strength to strength

The culture of this company is what makes them one of the best companies to work for. Their vision, value and missions for the future secure your job forever. It's a company that is renowned world wide for the products they are selling. 90% of their products are manufactured locally.

Pros

Great benefits eg. Staff discount. Extensive training for development

Very great opportunities

Great days were when the store reaches targets. Handling difficult customers. Management always grooming staff. Very friendly and easy to work with. When the was a store surprise visit. Incentives

Pros

Incebtives

Cons

Health

Pioneers in Outdoor Retail

Cape Union Mart is a family company that originated in 1922, and has remained family-run for more than 80 years. Traditional family values are still present in this company, making it a cosy, comfortable place to work in. Cape Union Mart's management team are dynamic, and influence the business positively. My retail career started with Cape Union Mart, and succeeding in a company like theirs is not easy, but comes with the prestige and self-worth that the term manager should come with, however with the pride, passion and ownership they teach you, you always get your hands dirty, because that's the Cape Union Mart way.

Pros

Excellent culture and environment

Cons

Advancement can be slow

Good Values and cultured company

A typical day at work will start with bank reconciliation a good morning meeting discussing sales targets, targets achieved on the previous day and where we are currently against our monthly budget. followed by either a team building and motivating exercise or a training session about new or existing products. delegation of daily tasks. admin checks hazard count control liaise with administrators,planners and buyers regarding customer stock requests the general stock situation within the store and and suggestions towards new or improved products to supply to our clientel. store presentation checks.dust/price checks/general merchandising drive sales and motivate staff implementation of campaigns as assigned by H/O close of day. Over and above all the skills i have learnt over the years People skills,handling hard tasks and to work under pressure comes to mind.What i have mostly learned from working for this company is that hard work pays.you get what you put in. Management is some of the best in the retail sector, really caring for staff and always wanting the best from them. The culture within the company is really positive and motivated.hard work gets noticed. From H/O to sales consultants they are a great bunch of people. The hardest part of the job, although not the worst would be working weekends and public holidays. The most enjoyable is to have a truly happy and satisfied customer that ensures return business.

Pros

13th Check, overtime and incentives

Cons

working weekends and public holidays

Productive and fun workplace

Giving great customer service with well trained staff to achieve daily target and work goals, working with a team to achieve goals is the best.

Pros

days off

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cape Union Mart. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,5 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance
3,6 out of 5 stars for Salary/Benefits
3,6 out of 5 stars for Job Security/Advancement
3,5 out of 5 stars for Management
3,9 out of 5 stars for Culture
  • Cape Union Mart
  • Store Manager
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?