Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital

Nurse14 reviews
South Africa14 reviews

3,5Work-Life Balance

Educational but stressful

I havr learnt alot working is such a big tertiary hospital. I feel my knowledge and skills would not have been so vast if I worked in a small regional hospital, and for that I will always be thankful.However the department that I work in, being Operational theatre has had a few challenges in the past few years that I have worked there.Firstly, I feel that the management is not supportive enough in considering the shortage of staff. They focus more on the work being done and satisfying statistics instead of the staff and they needs. Secondly, the department has a very stagnant way of operating. Leading to unnecessary overload of work when it come to most disciplines. For example theatre Nursing staff doing work that should be done by operator because that is what the management has allowed and introduced, leading to burn out due to unfair work load instead of training the right people to do the job.And lastly. Doctors are held at higher estimate than any other professional in the department. Therefore making is hard to accelerate matter of concern in various departments. Making it an unhealthy relationship between the multidisciplinary team and Operational managers doing nothing about it.However, The really awesome thing about working in this theatre is that there are frequent department rotations and you get a chance to learn the many disciplines. Unlike being in one discipline for years. Making you gain skills and competency from all the highly specialized units.

teamwork

l came to CMJAH knowing nothing.l learned everything.l didn't know much but l learned l got better and better than my mentors and this cause friction.

Was wonderful to work there.

Working at Charlotte maxeke Johannesburg hospital was enjoyable. Many advancement opportunities exist there. Different characters and personalities that you meet daily.

Happy with the work I do

Excellent learning environment, learn new thing everyday. The working environment is also conducive for learning and for offering great patient care. Conducive for both patient care and learning.

Great working environment, opportunity to study given

Self motivation required, one needs to have direction and personal goals to advance in their career, not much mentorship if any. Learning opportunity limited

Much work experience gained as its an academic hospital

It's been challenging to work with large community or population since it's in the center of Johannesburg,thus making the emergency unit to be always busy. Good working conditions and therapeutic environment keeps me going everyday. Wish I can get a post but no permanent posts available at present.

Good learning environment

Working here has taught me how to work under pressure and how to stay focused. It's a good institution to learn different things and become exposed to real life situations.

Charlotte has been more than a home for me. The staff and management are supportive

Charlotte maxeke is a good hospital to obtain experience. They provide short courses to enable you to be effective and productive in your line of work

Pros

They provide short courses

Cons

How l spend my day at work

My typical day at work l come to work before 7 oclock.l put on my epilets and put away my bags.l go to block one to fetch cup,lids and feeding cups.l also count them and l write it down.l then come back to the milk kitchen.l wash the cups,lids and feeding cups.l pack them in trays.l put the lids in one big packet.l pack the feeding cups and put then in the autoclave.l then deliver the milk later on.during the afternoon if there dnt have cups, l fetch cups and lids and wash them again then put in the autoclave.sometimes l deliver in the afternoon,sometimes l dnt deliver.this is how l spend my day at work.my opinion is that this is not challenging.l want to work as a nurse again

Pros

Alot of free time

Cons

I wash cups and lids more than twice sometimes

Intetesting workplace

It is an interesting place to work at, where you get to deal with speciality conditions which contributes in an individual being interested in a specific speciality. However the problem is shortage or staff and experience of burn outs on individuals.

Pros

Benefits of extra hours

Cons

Burnout

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital?

There are good and bad times. But I try to adjust in any situation as long as patient care is not compromised.

Protocol and the way of doing things are not uniform around the whole hospital. I have learned to work under different personalities. And mostly I've learned how important is record keeping in the field of nursing. I have also adjusted to working with co-workers of different backgrounds/race/cultures. The hardest part of the job is working with Nurses only most of the time without presence of a Doctor . I enjoy being a shift work cause I can plan my life outside of work (social activities)

Pros

there is uniform and housing allowance

Cons

shortage of resources

Productive and fun workplace

So far i've had a great day at work, i learned to persevere in everything that i do even if things turn to be hard at times, my colleagues are team players and are always willing to teach if one doesn't know

Productive and Educational workplace

I work in the Trauma Casualty. A typical day at work involves applying the triage process to trauma patients and categorizing them as P1, P2, P3 and P4. It is a fast paced job that requires you to be a quick thinker and a hard worker, always putting the needs of your patient first. It is a learning curve as each patient will present differently and the management is thus tailored according to the patients needs. Being an academic hospital, one needs to be willing to advance themselves professionally by gaining more knowledge through books and experience. Co-workers are friendly and most are willing to teach. What I enjoy most about my job is the multi-disciplinary approach and interaction between health professionals to deliver an adequate health service to all patients.

Pros

Academic institution - Great learning experiences

Cons

Long working hours

Not fun to work there

Growth for an individual is low because one is not given that opportunity to grow and the is no challange its stressing.

Pros

easy leaf

Cons

poor working conditions low stork

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,5 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance