Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital

Clear
3,5Work-Life Balance
3,4Management

Educational but stressful

I havr learnt alot working is such a big tertiary hospital. I feel my knowledge and skills would not have been so vast if I worked in a small regional hospital, and for that I will always be thankful.However the department that I work in, being Operational theatre has had a few challenges in the past few years that I have worked there.Firstly, I feel that the management is not supportive enough in considering the shortage of staff. They focus more on the work being done and satisfying statistics instead of the staff and they needs. Secondly, the department has a very stagnant way of operating. Leading to unnecessary overload of work when it come to most disciplines. For example theatre Nursing staff doing work that should be done by operator because that is what the management has allowed and introduced, leading to burn out due to unfair work load instead of training the right people to do the job.And lastly. Doctors are held at higher estimate than any other professional in the department. Therefore making is hard to accelerate matter of concern in various departments. Making it an unhealthy relationship between the multidisciplinary team and Operational managers doing nothing about it.However, The really awesome thing about working in this theatre is that there are frequent department rotations and you get a chance to learn the many disciplines. Unlike being in one discipline for years. Making you gain skills and competency from all the highly specialized units.

Not bad

The hospital could use some improvements, especially management. Opportunities for growth in different fields. Learned a lot. Would definitely recommend it.

productive and informative

A typical day at work to manage cancer patients receiving chemotherapy nad treatment for symptoms and complications management. I have learnt in this area to work independently and productive with the support of the unit manager. Learning about cancer management from the consultants and professors. The most difficult part is having a death in the unit or seeing a patient and family go through dying process.

Pros

attending conferences

Cons

critically ill patients

It's a productive work experience with lots of career opportunities in the health field, never a dull moment

Time management is very important, you acquire good communication skills as you'll be working with the multidisciplinary team. Career advancement opportunities are guaranteed

Pros

More exposure to high risk cases as it is a level 3 hospital

Cons

Staff burnout due to shortage of staff

Cohesive and Impactful

The hospital is filled with students and qualified HCPs who are friendly, and willing to help the sick and disadvantaged. Many clinics are available to maintain outpatient care management and most patients are seen through referrals from primary health centres/other hospitals.

Pros

Flexible work schedule

Cons

Poor infrastructure maintenance

Productive place

There are different management styles. Great exposure to different patients and different pathologies. The equipment is advanced. There are different modalities and training is readily available.

Pros

Great learning environment

AD Rad Ther

All was well, as I learnt a lot in terms of Clinical Practise, in Management role and Training of Students. Being part of decision making in such a Large institution, managing +-70 staff members was quite an eye opener for me, as it broadened my Relations Skills.

Productive and motivating

Everyone works as a team, staff is dedicated and enthusiastic about their work,management encourages team work through team building events.there are great system at work to reduce patients waiting times.

Pros

Bonus

Cons

Large number of patients

Productive and Educational workplace

I work in the Trauma Casualty. A typical day at work involves applying the triage process to trauma patients and categorizing them as P1, P2, P3 and P4. It is a fast paced job that requires you to be a quick thinker and a hard worker, always putting the needs of your patient first. It is a learning curve as each patient will present differently and the management is thus tailored according to the patients needs. Being an academic hospital, one needs to be willing to advance themselves professionally by gaining more knowledge through books and experience. Co-workers are friendly and most are willing to teach. What I enjoy most about my job is the multi-disciplinary approach and interaction between health professionals to deliver an adequate health service to all patients.

Pros

Academic institution - Great learning experiences

Cons

Long working hours

i have grown as a proffesional

It has been pleasant to work at the institution..I have learned the importance of being a good team player.The management has been supportive in enhancing my career goals.I feel that my co-workers are as close tome as family

fun workplace with relaxed atmosphere but no growth opportunities

A typical day is made up of a 12 hour shift. in the morning we connect patients to the machine and do hourly observations, give Intravenous medications, odering and packing of stock, do rounds with the doctors and then co-ordinate care for patients from home and those in the ICU's. Push machines to the ICUs and peripheral wards to dialyse acutely ill patients and before knocking off write a full days report for opposite shift and then do handover to night sister.I have learnt to run a shift, coordinating patients care for the day, delegating of duties according to scope of practice and experience.the management team is not very open to staff concerns and problems unless you are known or a favourite.I had a very good team of co-workers who knew what team work means and that made the demands o the day manageable. they were very supportive and most of them willing to share the knowledge and expertise.the hardest part of my job was dealing with uncooperative doctors, who disregarded that I work with time. They had to do rounds early in the mornings so I could be able to deploy staff to dialyse in the ICUs and peripheral wards, and having a manager who did not have a backbone, who let doctors abuse nurses as they wanted.the most enjoyable part of my job was talking to patients, getting to know about them and rendering the best care to them and seeing them thankful at the end of the dialysis session, knowing that I have just helped to prolong his/her life for another day.

Pros

housing and medical aid subsidy, claiming sundays and public holidays

Cons

long hours, no team work with doctors

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,5 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance