City of Cape Town

City of Cape Town Employee Reviews

South Africa616 reviews
4,0
I woke up everyday feeling good because i was going to go to work meet my loving and supportive colleagues. I learned to support, work well with people and also be a good teamworker.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks
4,0
My experience as a contractual employee was very short, yet profound. I've gained some experience and exposure. Managed to enhance my knowledge. However, due to lockdown most lined up trainings meant to capacitate employees were forfeited. I somehow wish there could be something done.
Pros
Gaining Knowledge, Exposure and Experience
Cons
Forfeited Training, Short Employment Contracts, Lack of ongoing Monitoring
5,0
I am very practical person and enjoy working outdoor as much as indoor. I have gained experience with regards to firefighting as well preparation needed. I have acquired other skills over the course of the last 3 years such as general maintenance activities. Brush cutter, Chainsaw operator Assistant for 2 years.
I have good computer literacy in Microsoft Word, Power Point, excel and Outlook. I have excellent written and oral communication skills and enjoy practical activities. I have gained experience in administrative tasks such as filling, basic project management, personal time and attendance matters and taking minutes.

Due to my passion for the environment I enjoy environmental education and I am comfortable and competent in designing and implementing my own experience lessons for children and adults alike.

I have previously taken on the responsibilities of my EPWP Supervisor when my supervisor he was on training for the duration of 2 weeks. I was given the responsibility of overseeing and managing my colleagues, preparing the tools for the specific task and make sure everyone signed their time sheet dail, making sure I checked and singed any lose tools, taking care of company vehicles making sure they wash each and very Friday preparing the oncoming week.

I am a good team player and work easily with people in positions of authority. I have no problems with following orders and can work just as effectively by myself as I can in a team. I am a hard worker and do not mind working after hours or in a weather conditions if it is required. I am currently doing my driver`s
 - more...
5,0
The city of Cape Town is a strict company to work for, working for them was worth it, ive learnt alot and id like to thank them for the oppourtunity to allow me to give back to the community and to enjoya fun filled work environment.
4,0
I think they have great benefits and a really fast paced mad competitive working environment. It is however very difficult to get your foot in the door as I have experienced but I erall did not have a problem. I enjoyed working there.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
5,0
I have gained so much experience as an apprentice and also as a maintenance assistant. The work environment was pleasant and so was my colleagues. I truly enjoyed being employed by the company.
5,0
I enjoyed the job, got to learn a lot in such a short space of time. The only problem that I have is that the contract was not long, it was only for 6 months.
Pros
Paid on time, meetings were something to look forward to.
Cons
Due to the virus, we have not heard anything about our course.
4,0
A typical day at work, Making sure all incoming documents are signed by Area head. Planning my work. Have my schedule so that I'm able to complete all my tasks.
My time at City have allowed me to equipped me with multiple of skills and that has helped me to be able to pace myself.

Working for City has been amazing. There's always opportunity given for you to grow yourself and showcase your abilities.
2,0
Very poor management and leadership think tanks, position power is used on a daily basis to empower themselves on the top floor... The hard worker on the shop floor does not get recognized.
3,0
I enjoyed working for CCT,good benefits.except that they are so into numbers more then quality.There is lot of admin,lots of pieces of papers to feel attached to your nursing duties.Professional
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
They are into statistics more than quality
4,0
The work environment within the City of Cape Town was always about further development as a professional, and included support from management and colleagues. This ensured that you as a professional developed, to provide the very best to clients and communities in which you worked.
3,0
As an admin clerk @ in the store room was the best experience ever, I learned a lot... I was a all rounder.
I also do hope that Im on the data bases...
Pros
Loved working as a EPWP, would have loved to become permanent @ the city.
Cons
Salary and the fate that there was never a position available for you to apply on the website
4,0
Left after 30 yes service due to lack of sufficient development and appreciation for hardworking. Too much political interference in administration and continuous drawn out, tedious protracted restructuring.
Staff from my era felt left out and abandoned if one were not politically aligned. Some of us left early
4,0
Flexible hours. Relaxed environment to work in, weekends offs were great. Annual bonus. Management was not great, but ok. Not very much of development training provided, no team buildings and departmental end-year functions were dull and boring
3,0
Above market salaries and great benefits
Archaic culture and non-progressive thinking mid-level and below

Advancement challenging with underdeveloped job descriptions that are limiting and not designed for fit.
3,0
It's fine to work for City of Cape Town if permanent because then you have benefits and income security but if you are a contract worker there's very little chance for your contract to be extended or even to become permanent.
3,0
My day to day job function include coordinating our fleet process and assisting with financial functions required. Also manage and controlling inverntory
Pros
Competitive work place
Cons
Not a lot of advancing of staff members
5,0
I have learned a lot from all the years I've been with the city of cape Town. Pleasant working experience, a great chince to upgrade myself on the field i have worked for. The level of professionalism has been mind blowing.
Management had a clear understanding of safety and security services.
5,0
Generally a well respectful and tolerant environment towards race, ethnicity and religion. A workplace that offers an employee the opportunity to excell academically in order to improve job growth within the company. Experience was fruitful and memorable with the most enjoyable part of the job being its collaborative teamwork and resourceful management systems and staff.
5,0
It is good to work for the city of Cape Town, although it has its ups and downs.It is still nice to work in the community and to know you are doing something good.
Pros
Caring for the homeless
Cons
It's very stressful
5,0
Typical day, seeing clients and interviewing them,issuing application for sale and conducting check to see if they qualify for a house.style of management is like down to top or top down,u first speak to ur supervise who then speaks to the manager and so on, that form is just difficult as I come from private sector. Hardest part is the management style, enjoyable part, educating people about home ownership and the responsibility that comes with it
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Cape Town. Our community is ready to answer.
3,9