City of Cape Town

City of Cape Town Employee Reviews for Administrative Assistant

Administrative Assistant19 reviews
South Africa19 reviews
Great ambiance.
No opportunity to be made permanent .

Experience was great, with clients and employees.

Management give you space and allows you to great opportunities with extra trainings
Productive day
Much experience to gain

Training is the best part of your job

Hospitality is 100%

Great family to adopt

Awesome environment to work in
5,0
Normal days.I've learned to handle difficult matters. work with pride&difficult part is unsatisfied people/clientele.enjoyable part is flexible hours.
Pros
enough time for lunches
Cons
pressure
• Data Capturing
• Inquiries

• Accounts

• Water meters Cape Town

• General administrative duties

I worked close with the Cape Town City Council engineers and the office was a big space that I have shared with colleagues. I have learned a lot from colleagues in order to assist where applicable.
Pros
Wonderful view from office and great colleagues
Cons
I moved to the Free State
Multi racial work place
Good leadership skills

Well organized organization

Most performing Municipality in South Africa

Service deliver

Good Audited
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Pay Less
5,0
typical day would be to print out list of officials who reported at work every 30 minutes and update my monitoring register for reporting on duty. book officials to courses and book accommodation for them. collect statistics from Officers to be populated on the SDIBIP

learn to work hard and over my required tasks

work place culture, even though there was different races but we learnt to respect each others space and embrace each other.

learning new things each day was the enjoyable part, I participated a lot in community outreaches so each day it was something.
5,0
Working at the City changed my political perspective and also what is done is local government. I met lots of people and advanced my administrative skills.
5,0
everyday had to do filing and sort contracts. I've learned how to work with others. Management was very helpful and always available when I needed them. Everybody worked together as a team. I enjoyed every minute of my job.
Pros
Long lunch
Cons
No cons
5,0
Nice working environment,great colleagues,career growth,professionalism,ethical,taught me about the importance of batho pele principles,customer care and discipline
3,0
Staff was like family, always concerned about one another. Management was very supportive. Environment was always fun. Job rotation was 1 of the highlights as it gave you a much broader insight to how the City operates.
4,0
My day consists of busy and quiet times, all depends on the time of month. Keeps things exciting

I've learnt that you need to stand up for what is right, and fight for what you want, but know when to back down.

Management, it is what it is. i have great respect for them. They do not make you feel as if you need to walk on egg shells when they are in office.

The workplace culture is amazing! We are a diverse group of people, different cultures, different religions. Amazing to learn. We do not talk 'poitics'.

The hardest part of the job is getting used to the ups and downs, it is exciting, but can get tiring.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the continuous learning opportunity.
Pros
Good exposure, always things to learn
Cons
Difficult to 'move around'
4,0
the job was challenging and time management was the biggest factor. the most enjoyable part of the job for me was days closer to the deadline dates on a monthly basis. it is the most stressful time yet the most fulfilling because one gets to push themselves hard. and then the 'haaaah' moment after the rush comes and all the hard work put in is all worth it.
Pros
13th cheque annual bonus
Cons
extremely long hours
4,0
The pople that i was working with were people who love their job,also there were very hard workers.I also learned a lot from them because they were used to work with people.These people were so poor in such that we have to go to there areas to make ideas for them but they also huble people.
Pros
There is no free luch
Cons
We did not feel it other than helping them
4,0
Performed daily admin duties and learned a lot.

Loved the people i was working with and the environment was a learning and productive one.
Pros
Loving and awesome working environment
Cons
i was on a 3 month contract
3,0
A typical day at ablow gardens clinic? I don't think such a thing exists as everyday is different.We deal with different situations and cases everyday.We always have a full day and there is always a difficult client or two to deal with.Management is very nice and everyone gets along quite well.The most enjoyable part of the day would be the morning because that is when we are most busy and there is so much excitement in the air.
3,0
It is a well environment to be. Its a great company to work for. I gained a lot of skills and experience. they taught me lot of things in terms of writing emails , draft reports and communicate with the public as well.
Performed basic office administration
Dealt with voter queries and resolved it

Assisted the Unit Head with any adhoc functions that was required.
Pros
Ok salary at that time and a good opportunity
Cons
A temporary position
5,0
Good work/life balance. Ideal for people with a family. Good benefits.
Pros
Good work/life balance and benefits
Cons
Slow paced
* Sitting in front of PC
Data Capturing on Excel, Word and Emailing

Organising events at schools, communities and exhibitions

Assisting with presentations at schools, communities and exhibitions

* Learned to be more outspoken and extroverted

To be decisive

*Management is very autocratic and staff not allowed to think outside of box.

Management favours and and only promote favourites.

*Get along with all co-workers and the trick is to always smile

Some co-workers turns out be life-time friends others turn to stab you in the back.

*The hardest part of my job is being restricted to do creative thinking and letting my department shine.

* I enjoy working with the schools, communities. Interacting with the Public.
Pros
direct supervisor never gives hassle when you need to take leave, will leave you unsupervised as long as you keep work up to date.
Cons
direct supervisor give hassles when you take emergency leave as he wants proof, ask you to give ideas then discards it and later implements it and takes credit.