Curro Holdings Ltd

Curro Holdings Ltd Employee Reviews

South Africa67 reviews
3,0
I feel that I'm doing much more than what is required of a aftercare assistant. I should actually be an aftercare teacher.
I was told after a year service that I would be made permanent. And that my contract would be discussed in the new year 2020. But by the end of February nothing was discussed with me. I should actually have a title of being an aftercare teacher. Currently I look after the waiting area. And assist with homework for grade 5 to grade 8 homework. Assist with snacks at 16h00.
Micromanaged work place
On a daily basis there are so many queries solved with no acknowledgement.
I have learned to exercise my capabilities much more.

Preference is given to special members to management.

The cultutre is beautiful, 100% no doubt.

The hardest part is to not be flexible on basic human needs.

I find it easy to convince an angry parent to stay calm and leave with a smile.
High paced environment
Typical day starts at 7h15 and ends when you finished planning etc. Beautiful buildings , very neat. Learned alot about 21st century learning and teaching. Good company to work for. Child friendly.
5,0
Good working environment, l learnt alot during my stay at the school. Vibrant religious culture. Great learning space for the learners. I would not mind going back
Pros
Experience
Cons
Stress
2,0
Experience specific to the school I worked at and not the company as a whole
The working hours, roles and responsibilities were not stated clearly in the contract yet expectations were ever-increasing. This was not reflected by the pay which was already lower than 'market-related'.
The culture is definitely not transparent and extreme incivility from head exec.

Staff turnover was VERY high which made working as a team very difficult.

My experience at this school nearly caused me to leave teaching altogether - and it truly is my passion.
4,0
Good relationship with the employer, depending on the work load it could be a very busy and hectic day. Cooperation and team work is essential
It's great working at Curro the only problem is that we don't get paid enough for the job. I'd recommend a person to work at Curro.

They are friendly.
4,0
very pleasant company to work for
Learned very much working for the school. Enjoyed being around the little children. I did all maintenance and repairs on the buildings and the play grounds. Supervised the outside contractors and ground staff.
3,0
Lack of discipline to leaners and exhausting
If you want to work at Thatchfield,you should be prepared to be treated like dirt especially if you're black. The staff is separated during break time.
Pros
Free coffee and tea
Cons
Very long exhausting hours
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Curro Holdings Ltd?
Excellent
Wonderful company to work for. They support further education and personal development. I appreciate the accommodation for study leave and humility. Love working here.
Pros
Family of staff members
Stressful and Rewarding
The school is still new, therefore stress levels are high, we often manage in crisis mode. I have learn't a lot about teaching and myself working here. The hardest part about my job would be balancing my personal and work life. The best part of my job is to be a teacher.
Pros
School Holidays
Cons
Disorganised and poor management
great culture
The school was far from my house but the culture was very good.
Learners were very eager to learn and willing.

The management was very great and always willing to help me with anything I needed help with as I was new in the school.

Enjoyed teaching there.
Pros
great stuff and culture
Cons
far
Contract ended
Loved working at the school, was there for 9 months, filled two maternity contract posts.Would have loved a permanent post but nothing available at the time.
Pros
School holidays
Cons
Lots of marking to do
1,0
Intimidation and abuse of power.
Intimidation and abuse of power is the order of the day. You do as you are told. It is either I like you or I don't. You have to be my friend to get a promotional post. Salary increments not according to standard and fair procedures. My friends get 10-12%, the rest get 1% to 2%. Automatic style of management. High staff turnover.
Pros
At least you have a job
Cons
Profit after company, Employee welfare a secondary issue, Poor salaries, School management do as they wish, Generally, number of butts on the chairs is all that matters.
1,0
My overall experience at curro
You are overworked, and expected to do things outside of your teaching parameters. You are most often expected to work a six day work week, which is not reflected in your pay. Many times you are criticised for your work, and not taking on enough. Many times educators are heaped with excessive amounts of mundane and nonsensical work. Your salary is NOT market related and your increases also don’t reflect a positive outlook on a decent monthly income. You are expected to work from 07h30 to 16h00. Provide extra classes and still attend events that end well after 22h00 due to having to take care of children who are left behind after the events end. You aren’t guaranteed any advancement what so ever. If you are afforded an advancement, your already heavy workload doubles. This is not the life you want. Students are rowdy and are given the advantage over the educator in every aspect. Growth is limited and there are no perks, inclusive of medical aid- which is offered but to full account of your own. The company doesn’t pay part of any perks. There is little opportunity to grow through enrichment and as such most opportunities are at own cost.
Pros
Non
Cons
Salary is not market related, working hours are excessive, management does not cooperate, the teacher is always wrong; overworked, no opportunities for advancement
Amazing children
Wonderful opportunity to train under qualified instructors in the ecd environment. Trained from 3 months of to grade r. Planning activities for children
Pros
Study times
Cons
No cons
Just a number
Morale is Low. Treatment is different. Colleagues are wonderful. Hardest part is not being recognized, acknowledged and knowing you just a number. I work with a lovely set of Colleagues.
Pros
The people l I work with.
Cons
Salary is poor. No acknowledgement. No retaining of Good teachers. Poor Higher Management.
2,0
It was a learning oppertunity
As the only nurse in the environment i feel i was very misunderstood and used.
I really enjoy working with children and Babies so i love the interaction with the children.

The hardest part of my job is that I never know where I will be or "what " I would be that day.

My Job description was changed recently to suit the company, and now i feel like a spare part not the Nurse of the school
Pros
Off half of the school holidays, so get to be near my own children
Cons
Don't get treated like i am part of the team
Overall Good Company to work for
Work in the position I am currently in can be tedious at times.
I have learned to work with Management. Management could be more involved in communicating with their staff.

Workplace is very "clicky" as they don't allow you to really interact with other phases. The hardest part of the job is the discipline of learners. The most enjoyable is seeing learners grasp new concepts.
Pros
assistance when needed
Cons
Long hours, no overtime
Good in service training
During my time at Curro, I was exposed to many new learning opportunities which fostered my ability to gain new insight, experience and knowledge. The most enjoyable part of my working day was always interacting with my staff and the learners of the school.
Pros
Smaller classes, part of a network
Cons
Recent corporate re-structuring, lack of support of the Executive Heads who worked at operational level.
3,0
Summary of my life at Curro
*) Working shifts - 06:30 - 14:00 and again 07:30 - 18:00
*) stressful environment - Working with kids and parents

*) management dint keep promises

*) Increases not according to standard arangements

*) Refunds not according to AA ratings.
Pros
Good working eniroment - good team to work with
Cons
salary is NOT markrelated
Productive Positive and Fun Environment
Had a very positive and enriching experience. A vibrant, helpful and engaging staff that are always willing to assist and help you grow into your position.
Pros
Excellent Work Environment
Cons
Low Salary and no benefits
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Curro Holdings Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.
3,4