Department of Environmental Affairs

Department of Environmental Affairs Employee Reviews

South Africa67 reviews
5,0
full of information, productive, good to settle. skills equipping and gives opportunity to improve your knowledge. best working environment with good HR personnel's
Pros
water to refresh your mind
Cons
many people in the interview boardroom
4,0
you learn how to work individually and being a team player and you grow as a person into understanding and adapting into the work environment and what is expected of you, you rather see every challenge as an opportunity to learn and self develop
benefits
3,0
Working as a Scientific Technician means that I have to travel abroad and Domestic travels include the Dept. of Environmental Research Monitoring Lines where it was expected that I spend more that ninety (90) days at sea during Research Cruises.
5,0
I have good experience with Department of environmental affairs. I have learned to manage and implement projects. I learned to manage people. I have learned to ensure that the work product is of quality.
5,0
A collaborative working environment characterized by life-long learning, stakeholder engagement and interface with national and international stakeholders.
5,0
I was a great experience, the staff is amazing and always willing to help. As a person coming from terrestrial plant background, it was a bit challenging at first but I have managed to adapt very easily.
3,0
It was good working for this organization. Management particularly the DG was a hard worker who always assist the employees whenever there are challenges
4,0
Diverse company with great culture in the office.
Empowering management system.

Career shaping available platform in the department.

Great relationship with work colleagues.
4,0
This is a really great place to work but there are no opportunities for growth. There are only entry level positions and no advancement. You are forced to leave once your contract has ended and there is no promise for renewal.
Truck driver code 14 pdp good communication
on skills Eng Afr I'm not drinking I'm 47 year old three kids married last job putco bus service retrenchment
5,0
participating in legislation drafting and implementation, issuing permits and authorizations, responding to ministerial queries, reviewing EIA applications and providing recommendations,planning and attending meetings, organizing and hosting public awareness events
4,0
The Dept of Envionmental Affairs is a people centric dept. It focuses on developing the individual holistically and that's what makes it worthwhile to make this dept your home.
5,0
On a typical day at work, the staff base has been assigned into different departments.
I learned how to work as a team and also developed my management skills.

The management is professional.

The workplace culture is good because of the staff consist of a blend of different cultures.

The hardest part of the job is having to meet up with deadlines.

The most enjoyable part of the job is having to work with motivated people.
Pros
Room for growth
Cons
Less diversity of skills and knowledge
3,0
A typical day at work is very relaxed. there are only one or two stressful days here and there. I learned how to be professional in the work place and I learned about various policies and procedures within government.
Benefits
Cons
No growth
4,0
I have gained a lot of knowledge. Not only about Communications, but about other scientific branches that exist within the department. Ma managers give me a platform to form practical work and provide assistance when needed.
Pros
Includes a lot of travelling
Cons
The department deals with a lot of science jargon
5,0
the department of environmental affairs have a lot of of friendly employees. they help each other settle in well. they are commited to what they do and also try by al means to meet deadlines.
2,0
Fun environment, if only the contract was longer. Everyone was very helpful and unsupportive. My wish was that we were payed more and we were taken permanently
Pros
Lots of assistance
Cons
Supporting 13 floor building
4,0
• Collect mail from the post office
• Deliver mail to clients and deliver passports and visas for international relations

• Transporting officials to meetings outside office and airport

• Opening and closing of files for new and resigned personnel

• Organise meetings, team building and any other events to take place
4,0
My days are normally hectic with targets I need to meet and meetings I have to attend. The work involves analysis of data, review of reports (local and international) to make an input into policy. Review of research publications and latest developments in the field of managing toxic chemicals. The large part of my work involves stakeholder engagements and discussions in the area of chemicals management as well as policy. In addition, I manage consultants as they execute projects for the department. I also write lots of reports as well as analyzing them.
Pros
continuous learning and development
Cons
too many meetings to attend to
4,0
i like working here however growth is needed.The Department of environmental affairs is a great place to work at and i have grown much over the years.
3,0
Day to day work was physical but calm. This opportunity allowed me to further concolidated my Basic planning and coordination techniques, Stakeholder engagement and interaction, allowed me a chance to network with other people in order to share information about available opportunities, increased auditing experience and report writting. Management was excellent and encouraged a friendly working environment with focus on production and career development. Encouraged cultural diversity and promoted that each individual must respect the cultural values of the other. the hardest part of the job was the walks on big industries when conducting complaince inspections. Internet and the opportunity given to me to apply for permanent employments elsewhere as it was not a garanteed permanent employment after the contract.
Pros
Fast speed internet
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Environmental Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.
3,7