Department of Social Development
3,8 out of 5 stars.

Department of Social Development Employee Reviews

South Africa482 reviews

3,7Work-Life Balance

Informative and allows one to be exposed to social work practise

I enjoyed working at the Department because I was exposed to different circumstances that were presented by clients. I got the opportunity to use my social worke skills.

Good and enjoyable

It was good to work as term in big organisation it was enjoyable...sharing idea's with team members . Helping visitors.. responding enquiries on time.. making sure that the place is clean.

Pros

Bring your own lunch

Cons

30 minutes lunch

its a good department

Good work life its very peaceful and great company to work. It gets busy sometimes . All you need to do is manage your work load and be a hard and dedicated worker

Pros

perfomance benefit

Stressful working environment

It's stressful working environmentThey do not employ even if people resign. Community growing but staff does not grow.. With growing community there is a need to revisit the organogram and employ more staff

It is not challenging enough and thaere is no space for growth

I didn't feel challenged and i felt stuck. I was doing other people's job but i was not appreciated for it. There was no room for growth and the pay was too little

Pros

Cons

Long hours sometimes

Not productive at all

There are no qualified Managers at all in the Department. Since it was Welfare Department before, the Social workers are the Managers in all the offices with not a single knowledge of managing the workers. Few of them are interested in durthering their studies. An issue of OSD IS A HUGE CHALLENGE.

Pros

No catering even on serious meetings, belt tightning

Cons

Yes long hours due to shortage of resources

Competitive and fun at times.

You must a dedicated employee with passion working with both Youth and Adults, both genders. Must be very good in handling conflicts. Must have self-control.

Productive and exciting fieldwork

Learn alot from my time at social Development. My people skills improved. I learned how to be a good communicator and how to resolve conflict. And interacted with a lot of people from different cultures.

Great Staff morale

Bad managementPoor LeadershipNepotismFavoritismBack StabbingLittlw or no trainingMicro ManagementSupervisors and management gossips about staff

Pros

You only work 15 days a month

Cons

Toxic Workplace and Management

Work life balance and study opportunities

The workplace is good and the environment is like home away from home. It is sometimes stressful especially in times of disaster or deadlines. It is a politically charged environment.

Pros

Leave days

Cons

Change of policies

Community focused

It's a day work begins at 7:30 ends at 16:00,if you're productive you'll enjoy your work.The Management composed of professionals such as social workers some makes it difficult or they so not understand Public Management systems.the salary is good but personal development is minimal including performance management awards,one can demonstrate ability to perform beyond expectations but if your superior is not in favour or you're not in favour your efforts are not recognized.

Pros

Knock off early during festive holidays

Cons

No personal development

Fun working ,relax and learning more of working with people

Its a field were social workers are the aim is to better the life of young people .to fight teenage pregnancy and drug abuse .to team up and change life

Pros

Self catering

Cons

Short hours

Productive and good

I started to work under social development in the year 2013til to update, I rendered my services in the community towards young women and men to meet their needs

Pros

Normal lunch

Cons

Normal hours

Professional Compliance

Sector provides good social protection flows to all in need. Salary is better. Workload and caseload too high. working culture and good customer care

Pros

Overtime pay

Cons

Working under pressure

Changelling and experience gain

The working hours and shift was reasonable. Working at the center is very challenging. You must be a hard work and able to work under pressure and to handle stress.

Pros

Working distance

Cons

Night shift

I am hard working person who is dedicated to her Job, that is why I can recommend Social development, also your company I can say is a good company I love.

Pros

Free internet

Cons

8 hours

productive

Woking at social development was very fun and nice I have learned a lot in that working environment. their management is very good. The manager use to ask me to prepare the meeting and even taking notes of the meting.

Not flexible

The is a need for improvement of administrative of the department because some of the roles of Community Development Practitioners are not well articulated and this cause the contradiction between the scope of Social Welfare component and Community Development component

Pros

Not Applicable

Cons

Not Applicable

Great environment and encourages learning

A day in the office is a blessing. The office has an inviting and encouraging atmosphere and it enables one to be free and be able to learn through the training provided and through asking questions.

Cons

none so far

It's so nice and greatful to work with them and I do enjoy my duties there

We work very well with. My colleagues and I really appreciate to be there.I never get late even a single day and was so greatful to get work with them

Pros

Best listener and neatness

Cons

Working overtime when we get lot of work

A job I was doing was enjoyable even though I was always buzy, as a clerk I did many thing from making copies, transporting employees, collecting mail and many Admin duties

Pros

Na

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Social Development. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,7 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance