DEPARTMENT OF TRADE AND INDUSTRY

DEPARTMENT OF TRADE AND INDUSTRY Employee Reviews

South Africa48 reviews

3,9Work-Life Balance

Product and fun

This is one of the best departments I have ever worked with. There's growth and continuous improvement in the work place.Management are motivated. There was good communication and collaboration between staff members which made it easier for team work.There's health and mental wellness within the department.

Fun workplace

The work environment allowed me to balance my work and personal life. The workload was manageable and less stressful. Management was approachable and always open to new ideas that will make work efficient.

I was working as an event coordinator, which it was hectic

The department was hectic, then I working in a marketing devision then after it was dissolved, then I resigned and started my own business from 2010 to 2018 whereby I didn't go well hence I'm looking for job.

Good place to learn work ethics and professionalism

I don't really integrate with high management but the little I notice is that they are approachable and play their role as it relates to teamwork. I learned new techniques on SAS programming language from my superiors. What I find to be hard is as well as the most enjoyable, updating and publishing data. On a typical day I find myself edditing and manipulating data, seating in meetings with economists of the division.

Pros

Free coffee\tea and pay for external courses.

Cons

Having to attend a long process if you intend to register a company.

I have learnt a lot from the department of trade and industry. The experience that i got there made me who i am today. Being informed what is happening in the world in our country is mind blowing.

Open space working environment

I work under a unit called Product Development, whereby the development of incentives offered by the department begins. A typical work day includes drafting and amending guidelines; conducting administration duties such as consulting with colleagues about the programmes and managing respective meetings and minute-taking in accordance.

Pros

Travelling

Cons

Time Frames but managable

Fun environment

A typical day would include attending meetings and doing routine work such as administration work. learnt the practical side of human resource management.

Pros

free coffee

Cons

non

Productive and the Organisational culture is one of the highlights

The department of trade and industry is an organisational that is tasked with transforming the economical dynamics of the country, which makes it a very critical organisation in pushing the transformational agenda of the economy. My role entailed assisting Black Industrialists with access to markets, which included State Owned Entities, The Private Sector and State Departments. The organisational culture at the dti is one based on excellence and striving to improve the lives of ordinary South Africans.

Pros

Being able to engage with varies state departments, the private sector and state owned entities

Cons

The hours were long and there was a shortage of personeel

Good place to learn work ethics and professionalism

Pros

Free coffee\tea and pay for external courses.

Cons

Having to attend a long process if you intend to register a company.

it was productive

This is were i learnt a lot about work ethics and how to be professional, botho pele principles were the nature of the day to day procedure. management were very informed

Pros

i went to site visit all around the country learning about other business sectors

Cons

work plus school

Free to learn and work

Busy with work. A lot of skills and gained experience in the research field, data analysis, and reporting. The management has been great because I was allowed to work in a team and also independently. The hardest part of the job was when I first came in with no experience. But I enjoyed meeting engagements, company site visits, reporting back at staff meetings.

Pros

Opportunities to participate in meetings.

Cons

No guarantee for permanent work.

Productive workplace, stimulating, professional

Preparations for Ministerial and MEC meetings Writing of speeches for the leadership and executives Planning policy Long-term economic development policy Trade and facilitation development Economic research

Pros

High learning curve, progressive

Hectic but nice environment

-In IT environment is very hectic, because of the type of work. My office is very busy in terms of meetings, documentations and telephone calls. -There is no relaxation in the workplace and always stay focused, and do the work immediately after the instruction to avoid mistakes.Self- discipline. - In our company the managers manage work not the person, everyone should manage him/herself because we are all adults and professionals. - Our clients are very important people, we must always invest in giving them better service than defending ourselves.We mus allow criticism. - When there is a problem on the system and it affects the whole department then I will be on my feet, and no one will rest until the issue is resolved. - When all the systems are running smooth my workplace is the most enjoyable space.

Pros

Free choices of Coffees, tea and cappuchino.

Cons

Less parking space

fun productive

A great environment to work. Flexible working our hours. I had alot of field work to do in getting beneficiaries of the BBSDP government initiative. The great part is to see a business doing well because the business has been empowered with tools.

Pros

Flexible working hours

Nice place to work

Great stepping stone and to learn about the industry. I loved what I've done and learned about the industry. Huge responsibilities and projects to run. Dealing with people, companies and embassies regularly.

Benefits

Cons

No growth

DTI is a good employee

Department of Trade and Industry is a good company for exposure and growing as well. It is a big company with many clients and good working conditions and I am learning more every day. I have not experienced any big hard ship only normal day to day challenges.

Cons

Start working at 08:00 and finishes a hard working day at 16:15. Compliant, hard working individual anc co-operative.

Pros

Medical Aid, Pension, House Subsidy

Cons

If you hit the platform after 10 yrs on your level, you do not grow

Exciting and productive

Was an eye opening work place as I worked for the agriculture department. Learned about agriculture how we take for granted Management was manageable as we had an open relationship Co-workers where fantastic and helpful I could ask for help if I did not understand. Hardest part of the job was when i was replaced as I thought I would continue with the position. Was working at my co-workers.

Pros

Lunch with Managers

Cons

Non

Produvtive and fun workplace

Nice staff. Hard working employees. Very nice and hard working Managers and team assistant. Highly motivated staff. Fun and nice working environment. Everyone is treated well and equally. Uses the Batho pele principles.

Pros

flexy working hours

Cons

too much work

Productive and fun to work in the dti

Very busy days at work. New ideas and ventures to learn Management relied on my financial reports for decision making Hardest part of the job was unwillingness from other employees. Short and productive meetings. Lot of information sharing among employees. Support from management always available

Pros

Flexi hours

Cons

Short notice meetings

Lessons and Management

The work place is a fun and conducive environment for learning and building other capabilities out of your field of interest. I am under good management which supports not only my academic/skill development, but also my interpersonal capacity.

Pros

Travelling experience

Cons

Sometimes lack of coordination between divisions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DEPARTMENT OF TRADE AND INDUSTRY. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,9 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance