Department of Water and Sanitation
4,0 out of 5 stars.

Department of Water and Sanitation Employee Reviews

It was a good working environment. I had colleagues that were friendly and very passionate. I had great supervisors, who were patient and willing to share their knowledge and experience with me.
There is always work to do everyday, Especially if you can work without supervision, grounded and you are always goal orientated. Knowledge gained includes Freshwater aquatic science, integrated water resource management, Biomonitoring (Twice accredited SASS 5 Practitioner), River Hydraulics, State of Rivers Reporting, Multi stake holder engagements, Water Use License practitioner (Instream & Environment). I also had an opportunity to act as a Scientific Manager for nearly a year (doing forecast budgeting, running of Adopt a River Ministerial Projects, Staff management & mentoring, e.t.c). Work culture is typical government style, you can easily lose your direction if you are not grounded and goal orientated. Hardest part is like in any work place, people can be very threatened by someone who has clear command of his work, as such in addition to my work, I had to constantly practice and improve on my public relation skills all the time. Most enjoyable part of the job was to be constantly involve in problem solving in applied science or technically related fieldwork, working with a wide spectrum of stakeholders in government, private sector (Mining, Energy, Telecommunications, Agriculture, Academic institutions, Water Boards, research institutions and helping in awareness campaigns in the protection of our precious water resources and involve in skills transfer to the youth. It also goes without saying that my work involved extensive travelling and working abnormal hours which I also enjoyed. I can go on writing, unfortunately I have to pens down now.
Pros
I traveled to many place of great antiquities, meeting people from different cultures
Cons
Unfortunately I was never lucky to have free lunches, my work carried along with it a lot great responsibility, pressure to always deliver on deadlines
The daily work is administrative and interactive. you learn a lot about the water value chain management at all spheres of government. the hardest part of the job is the hierarchy within the organization that slows the processing and decision making. the enjoyable part if solving the problems of the public and witnessing the impact.
Pros
travels
Cons
working in silos
As I was a trainee I was introduced to a work place,rules to adhere and how to work as a team.Engineering is so much work we had to work extra hours to finish the job.
I've learned that in life you must stand up for what you believe is right and don't compromise yourself in the process of pleasing other people,just be yourself.
Training provided to interns is relevant to what they studied at the university and the civil Engineering industry as a whole. They created opportunity for student to apply the theoretical knowledge.
On a typical day I get to the office login to the system and work on my water licenses.I also hold meetings with consultants as well as do site visists when it is necessary.
Respect,Loyalty,accountability ,accurate information about things you do and provide on daily basis say a lot about your work place and environment Also moral and values of others need to be done like tomorrow never come first before anything else.
Good workers and manager. Respect and follow the instructions. Good Management No one was undermine others Time frame ,pressure and follow-up motivate
Pros
Targets
Cons
Refreshment after reaching our target at the end of evry month
I had a great experience working at the Department of Water and Sanitation. I was given a role to lead a group of people. I learned so many lesson. One of the key elements I learned is to realize that people are different and I now appreciate that. As young as I am the people that I was leading appreciated and respected me. I had a good relationship with them and also my seniors.
The shortage of staff made the work strenuous as I had to cover two programmes alone throughout the province. However being the only expert in the province in drinking water quality and in relevant legislation was fulfilling. It pushed me to keep on reading and learning everyday.
Pros
Prviding expertise
Cons
driving long hours alone in the entire province
Not quite happy to work under the department because of lack of quality services for trainees. I and other trainees are not satisfied about how the department is handling the war on leaks project
Pros
Cons
Noe
good company, gain more experience. its more stressful sometimes. Its good also working in a group where you all share your ideas. I learned how to deal with different people and learn new things every day. management is not always right, they sometimes have their favorites which is not a good thing at work place. I also learn how to deal with different culture background, we have all cultures and people with disabilities. hardest past is when dealing with difficult customers who don't understand or believes what you trying to explain to them. the travelling and seeing all the place around and outside Western cape.
Pros
Travelling
Cons
Thanks to department today im qualified as an artisan Good skill to can face the industry Im willing to learn more Learned more about artisan world Fabrication Handtools and basic rigging
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Great company which caters for it's employees. The Batho Pele principle applies in all forms. You learn each and every day, so the student mentality is really required. We get to work with great individual. The trainings are reasonable and a huge advantage to an individual. The top management treats the middle and low management with love and respect.
Pros
Free tea time lunches
Cons
Late knockoff time
Department of water and sanitation gives exposure , you learn about the legislation that govern environmental science. The hardest part of the job is when you have to assess outs kart water users which threatens your safety as a female and human being.
Pros
when working on field, you claim the money, get cellphone n transport benefits
Cons
too much time driving
The job was productive and I have lot of thing including how to operate mobile machinery. The job thought me how to work with people and to become team player.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Overtime
Its a good environment to work in. I deal mostly with grievance managements and preparations for conciliation and arbitration. I draft submissions to the relevant authority within the department to either, confirm disciplinary sanctions or to make a final decision on appeals.
Weekly plan being provided and followed but open for change should there be any work reschedule. On daily purposes report to the departmental supervisor on the daily progress reports. Monthly reports were also demanded and were accessed through the number of water use licenses processed.
Pros
normal working environment
Cons
Normal working Hours
a very educational environment with mentors ensuring that one gets the best experience needed before graduating as a civil engineering technician. fun environment and very social
Full of exposure and growth. There is room for improving ones career. Job security and benefits. Capacity building. Exposure of conferences around and out of the country. Recommendations and Decisions taken start from bottom up. A value chain principal is applied especially requesting specialist inputs. Experience with the use of electronic water use licence applications.
Pros
Career pathing
Cons
Too relaxed