Discovery
4,1 out of 5 stars.

Discovery Employee Reviews

3,8Work-Life Balance

Productive and fun

The best company to work for. I got along with colleagues and enjoyed my work. Management was not bad though they had their favourites. But all in all not a bad company to work for.

Pros

Team building

Cons

Lot of work

Promising Oppertunity

Large corporate environment where one has great independence with personal responsibility to deliver and meet targets. Very helpful colleagues. Understanding seniors. Definitely a promising opportunity to get experience and grow in financial system development. Although tasks as a junior are somewhat boring. Being underestimated by not being handed larger and more interesting projects. However it is expected in a large corporation as a junior.

Pros

Growth

Cons

Boring tasks

Creative thinking

My typical work day consists of planning, organizing and reporting on testing phases of projects. In the current environment I have learned a lot especially the agile methodology which I wasn't comfortable with before. I currently manage a team of 24 individuals, 10 test analysts and 14 testers. The hardest part of my job is being able to be emotionally sensitive all the time, sometimes you need to tell people they are at fault without sounding arrogant. The most enjoyable part is testing and being able to motivate the entire team.

Pros

Learning

Cons

Processes

just good

its a good job but i would love to try something new they find it difficult to pay us when its a month end we always have to fight to get anything from them

Production and Fun

I have meetings during the day, doing presentations with the advisers. Sometimes I am in the office communicating with the management and my brokers via emails and telephonically. I learned how to socialize with all kinds of race. It is very nice working with the management. They are well informed. I have a very healthy relationship wit my co-workers The hardest part is when I have to terminate a contract of one of my brokers when things are not working out. It is most enjoyable when everyone is making a target or doing everything they can to achieve it.

Pros

free coffee

Cons

long ours

Alway happy to go to the office

It was always a joy going in to the office everyday, and everyone in my department got along with me and we had no problems, I did all the work in a day that needed to be done and the boss was very happy with everything I was in charge with, we never really needed to even leave the office as all shops and food courts was there in the building.

Pros

Free meals when doing events

Interactive, Fun and Workable Environment

We meet in the morning and we call people oversea and discuss what we have to do for the day and what we have done so far. We then get emails of what work was due and what to fix. We fix all defects needed then report to out senior developer to see which tasks we can help them with if our tasks for the day are done. If no work is due we then test systems that others work on and see if they are working the way they should be working.

Pros

Free coffee, Free T-shirts, Lunch depends on what we are celebrating of which everyday we celabrate something.

Cons

My position is a contract based

Encouraging Energetic environment

Day begins by veiwing your days tasks. Listed according to priority client queries/ needs e.g (card collections or deliveries to platinum clients - out of the normal courier process) Visit required franchises to train or update brokers of product enhancements or processes. Meet with Franchise Directors to review performance, discuss better ways to support a growing business bith ways. Detaailed feedback on the presentation session to be provided - Admin and MI updates. Toughest paart of the job is ensuring to meet ALL customer and Platinum brokers expectations as they are of high demand. this has however pushed be beyond my comfort zone and aided me in personal growth

Pros

Performance incentivised

Cons

Could loose track of time

productive and an exciting workplace

I loved working at Discovery. Although it was short lived, it was fun, ad it taught me certain skills and open my eyes to the corporate world. The building was so convenient, as it had everything, as well as healthy lunch options.

Pros

I was able to gain work experience

Cons

long hours and low pay (as I was just starting out)

Multi-cultured

Great Company to Work for. great People. Multi-Deversed. No micro-management.

Pros

Value Customers

Cons

Improving Lives

Productivity and Nice co-workers

Typical day at work would busy with most people minding their own busy and pushing productivity, nice working environment that allows you to excel in your daily task, Important lesson learned is to always take my work serous no matte how small or little the task is. co-workers are very friendly people easy to work with helpful at all times. Management difficult as always but ensuring that every single one of us is productive. Most difficult part of the job would be when management compromises the business rule to accommodate other brokers -while I have emphasized the rule to the broker or broker consultant.

Pros

Cons

Overtime ( weekends)

It was always fun in the office, always teambuilding

It was great working at the company, there is so much to learn in the financial field, i achieved allot working with people as a team

Pros

No Pros

Cons

we worked from 8 to 5

High Pressure environment with high stakes and rewards

I deem my work environment to be an excellent "learning organisation". Everyday is filled with huge challenges and to do the right thing. Thinking and problem solving is at the order of the day. I have learned that I am one of the best (in my field of expertise) in South Africa, and can hold my own with possibly the best in the world in the field of Insurance Forensic Investigations and Handwriting Examinations. The hardest part is not making a mistake as it can severely influence peoples lives and the most enjoyable part is to know that one has positively changes someones life.

Pros

High stakes and rewards

Cons

High stress levels

Productive and very driven to achieve

A typical day at work is filled with enthusiasm, having social conversations with collegues. I have gained the experience in the department that has taught me skills of time management and deadline driven. Co workers are energetic and optimistic despite some challenges that we might have. Hardest part of the job is to advise members of termination although part of this job but reality of having a heart. Most enoyable is the fun social networking with others within the organisation.

Pros

Travel subsidies to employers

Great culture

Discovery has certainly provided me with skills that I am able to use in any job environment. The culture at Discovery is amazing and the people are great. Each day was extremely busy and I was always kept on my toes. Hardest part of the job was time management. The greatest part of the job was the people I worked with and the CSI activities I took part in.

Pros

There was a go home target available daily.

Cons

Workload and staffing.

Great employees.

Discovery has taught me to be more responsible in terms of my work, to always strive for excellence and always exceed customers. The organization prides itself in Excellent service delivery to customers. A typical day at work would include reconciling accounts and maintaining relations with internal and external clients(brokers). My co-workers are the best, Discovery always hires great people however I feel that Management is more customer oriented and thus tend to ignore employees. I feel that they could do a lot better in terms of salaries/benefits.

Pros

Challenging

Cons

Long hours and poor salaries

My Work Day

- Managing Bank Accounts (3 Bank Accounts) - Journal Entries on Sage - Miles Redemptions - Bank and Balance Sheet Recons - Travel Partner Calculations - Partner Discounts - Customer Billing and Invoices - Liaising with different departments if need be - Liaising with Partners and FNB - Trend Analysis - Profit Analysis - Management Accounts - Reporting to CFO within Vitality - Collections and receipting from Debtors - Reports for Management - Budgeting

Pros

Not Micro Managed

Cons

Long Hours

I'm a very dedicated, hard working individual who works great as a team player and independently.

I enjoy working with people, a self-motivated individual and dedicated. I see a task to the end, and have devoloped good interpersonal skills. I enjoy challenges and working under pressure. I love being able to help people.

Pros

I can work well individually and in large teams

Cons

I work long hours to ensure i see a task to the end.

productive fun and welcoming environment

we get to work in the morning and first thing we do,we log on to the system and ensure that all previous day queries are dealt with an there is no outstanding communication or documents due to clients. i learned customer care and how to manage people and a difficult situation. generally co-workers were most of the time reasonably professional. the hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult clients and reaching targets due to working under pressure of time.the environment was so good, there was a lot of fun activities to take your mind off pressure.

Productive and fun workplace

- At the end of a working day I want to see what I have done and how productive i've been. - I've learned that communication and respect for your co-workers is a main part of your job. - At this point i'm magaging a diary and do admin. -Nothing to hard for me to handle. The only hard part is to work with very very difficult and very rude clients. As some client say one thimg to you and something else to your boss. - Meeting new clients everyday and knowing you accomplished something to make that client and yourn boss happy.

Pros

Free Lunches

Cons

Working hours, 09h00- 16h30

Good company to work for

Managing delivery of assessments and performance of assessors and assessment team. Advising business on people decisions using assessments as input Managing relationships with vendors/ service providers Resolving assessment quiries escaltions. I've learned to manage conflict and business expectations and delivery. Developed assessment strategy and vision. Managed to deliver with limited resources. Management cares about employees and are supportive. Co-workers are willing to go an extra mile in order to achieve results. Hardest part of the job is that it is highly specialised and may not offer opportunities for growth. I enjoy interacting with clients and advising on the best people solutions using assessments and incorporating that with other available information. I enjoy managing my team and managing the dynamics that often happen and providing an integrated view of candidates using assessments outcome.

Pros

Amazing cultureand flexible working hours

Cons

Career growth

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Discovery. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4,1