Discovery
4,1 out of 5 stars.

Discovery Employee Reviews

3,8Work-Life Balance

Productive and fun

The best company to work for. I got along with colleagues and enjoyed my work. Management was not bad though they had their favourites. But all in all not a bad company to work for.

Pros

Team building

Cons

Lot of work

the team work and spirit

my job starts at 07:45 when i log on to my computer. from 08:00 the phone starts to ring, emails come in and i have to be at my best presentable mood at all times. i get an average of 60 calls a day and i respond to about 30 emails in a pool of over 1000 per hour. what i enjoy the most is changing the perception of our clients who are willing to change their medical aid because of lack of information and product understanding. i enjoy educating and convincing they to stay with us. what i do not like about my job is being stuck in my chair for 8 hours. i want a more challenging role that is going to take me out of the offince thus servicing my clients in their own comfort zone. my day ends at 16:30 and sometimes in hour or two later depending on the complexity of the queries i had during the day. i don't sleep well at night when i have unfinnished inquiries.

Pros

the branding, free lunches and out door activities

Cons

being stuck indoors the whole shift

fast pace, dynamic and innovative

My typical day at work is busy,interact with line managers, Candidates, recruitment agencies and universities

A day at work

A typical day at work would involve queries, strategy, planning and patience. Each day I learn about people and their behavior, in addition I learn that our products and services are more complex than we think. I have a good relationship with people and tend to maintain this relationship and this makes others want to be with me and managed by me. The hardest part of my job is not being able to make all decisions as alot of these decisions need to be made by exco. I love my job, I have the ability to help others and teach them.

Pros

Teaching, educating and helping others.

Cons

Decision making.

not fun

we worked long hours. it was not fun working there. one had to work in their own time, I didn't get along with my co-workers. the management was poor. Actually it was a different culture for me.

Pros

working in your own time

Cons

Travelling

Productive and great working environment

I do IT recruitment, diary management, events coordination, screening calls, reimbursements. New employee coordination and integration. Working environment is relaxed yet productive.

Pros

Two performance bonuses per annum

Cons

Productive and great work vibe

Working at the call centre in the Life department was great fun and i enjoyed going to work. I think what made it great was the people that i worked with, we all lived up to the discovery values and that bought out the best in us and that reflected in the end result.

Pros

Team building

Cons

Angry clients being tranferred to the wrong department.

Would recommend this Company as a place to work anytime

Exceptional Company to work for. I have been fortunate to work under great managers and team leaders here at Discovery.

Pros

Prosperity - Good Management

Cons

should work on making a safer work place and reduce the overtime work for employees thus improving prdocutivity

i am presently looking at pursuing a career in the health and saftey field. I enjoy the present safety inspection that we do and i use my knowledge gained to assit in the hazard identification and risk assessment. This aids us in making the work place a safer environment for all the staff. I have a passion for the safety filed and strive at making the work place safe. I belive that if we have a safe work environment we will have a safer work force and greater growth and productivity of the business.

Pros

flexi hours

Cons

longhours too much overtime thus creating bad work conditions

Very productive - the best products. Fun to work there

Hours are fantastic - from 8:00 - 16:00. Do not work weekends. The people I worked with is like family to me. Good atmosphere in the office. The training I received was done by the best teachers and the products are top of the range. Nothing was hard for me, for I enjoy working hard and I enjoy the work I do. The most enjoyable part of my job is learning something new and completely understanding it. I got maximum stimulation in the work I do every day.

Pros

Very good business hours, Did not work over weekend

Cons

December anual leave

Dynamic and fast paced

I love working for Discovery. It is a vibrant, dynamic company with good values. I have grown as a manager of people over the past few years. The size and scope of the role has meant that I have had to delegate and trust my team. The best part of my role is also the most challenging, that is the fact that the company is constantly growing and changing. Innovation is part of the core values of Discovery, which means that there are always new projects and challenges.

Pros

excelent staff facilities, such as hairdresser, laundry, car wash, spa, wellness centre, on-site doctor, etc

Cooporate social responsibility

We went to a home to assit during the induction week, made gardens

Pros

free waters and caps

Cons

no food

feel at home at work and very productive

lots of exposure to new thngs. promotes a culture of innovation, this is avery cultured company and its's culture is so nice, healthy and you feel at home. the hardest part of the job is excessive work

Discovery has offerred me 19 different job functions in the 17 and a bit years I have been there in three different industries.

Various job functions required different working requirements. At work from 07h00 until 16h00. I do not take lunch. My reporting functions are the first thing done in the morning, followed by elevated queries. Then onto creating operational data reports and requirements for various areas in the fund, Meetings occur normally between 10h00 and 15h00 and cover a range of issues from operational, to auditing, to training of staff.My management is supportive and do use their influence to assist in driving projects.Hardest part of the job is dealing with staff related issues, especially on non-performance. But that is part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is in guiding the team to reach there goals and resolving an elevated query favourably. (Ensuring the best is done, to the letter of the law and communicating that in a clear and concise manner.)

Pros

doing something i am passionate about every day.

Cons

work, life balance is hard to get right due to long hours required. but i manage.

Discovery is a very fast paced dynamic company

We work according to service level agreements. I have three hours to answer a query and email once received. I have one hour to respond to an escalation both internal and external. I am constantly pushing cases through the system to ensure that the service level agreements are kept within each department that the applicatoins fall into. I also have to give detialed feedback to my manager if there are problems on cases

Pros

dyanmic company with lots of room to grow

Cons

highly pressurised, have to work unitl 12 midnight on the 25th of the month

Productive and fun place to work at

it has not all been good and fun but i guess, we are always learning everyday working with different people and meeting new people. at the moment i am working under a great manager.

Pros

no overtime

Cons

working hours (uk hours)

understanding towards d supirior and colligues

when you've gt more work to do at a limited time I've learn that challenges are are the to grew u up in every situation.the most enjoyable part of the job it when you reach you dead lines on time

Pros

good benefit

Cons

long hrs

Its a good company to work for

Its a very busy environment, supporting 4 countries with all Telephony issues and Voice issues. It was diffucult for the first 2 weeks but all worked out with a good team and management. I only came in with AVAYA PABX expirence but i joined a very good team and within a month i was up to date with all other systems like Recording system and Telephone Management System.

Pros

we have team lunches and breakfast from time to time

Cons

we work on weekends if we have too muchwork loads and projects

Discovery is a good company

a typical day at work would entail taking calls.i have learned to be patient and that different people have different ways of communication, communicating with different members has also assisted me in improving my communication skills. We work closely as a team so I have learned to accommdate others and assist where necessary.the hardest part of the job is remaining calm while dealing with irate memebers and the most enjoyable thing is working with engertic and viabrant people

Pros

working with different

Challenging and productive workplace

Most of the days were hectic but this turned out to be a good experience because i learnt to work under pressure and delivering good results. My workmates were supportive and goal achievers. One of the most challenging issues were meeting the agreed target in a small town like East London, above all Discovery was a fun place to be and one would carry out duties without being coherced.

Pros

free braai

Cons

Read the daily stats update email advising how far our “pool” is in terms of being in turnaround time. Answering members emails, to meet the minimum stats required in a day. Investigating and resolving each email regarding the Vitality product to the members’ satisfaction. If I have trouble with any particular query I can always ask my team leader for assistance. Once done with the days stats send and email advising my team leader of the completion.

Pros

learn more of the different discovery products, learnt how to work under pressure and accurately under pressure.

Cons

compulsory overtime.