Discovery Holdings

Discovery Holdings Management reviews

South Africa33 reviews
4,0
Discovery is a well known and reputable Insurance company.

Both my roles were in the sales and distribution departments. Sales targets were mostly focused on.

It was fun, young vibrant team. Can get stressful, sometimes we would meet target on the last hour, the pressure was on, however, manageable.

Management was supportive and encouraging.

Hardest part - it's a sales environment, not meeting target was not fun.

Most enjoyable part - buzz in the call centres, team-buildings and outings and off course, meeting targets and smiling to the bank
Pros
Free lunches when we work late nights
Cons
Far from home
2,0
Typical Day at work: Resolving issues immediately, dealing with operational requests and invesigating pro-active alerts to mitigate future impact
What I learnt: New requests create new learning paths to the all the technologies we use especially cloud environments

Management: We can all do better
Workplace Culture: Easy to approach and always supportive of other teams and clients
The Hardest part of the job: Aspiring for perfection from start to finish

The Most enjoyable part of the job: Learning something new and completing it perfectly and ahead of schedule
My day start at 7 and end at 15.30
Its a very slow day and there has not been much work

Do work for a few hours then do nothing for the rest of the day

The workplace is a buzz with talk and mostly social

Please understand that not working can get very boring

Gym is currently my most enjoyable part of my day.

Management don't really take the time to talk to us. There is a selective few that they communicate with.
Pros
Free coffee
4,0
It is a financial environment with a lot of fun and entertainment and recognition of employees. Its a corporate environment with transparency in terms of their processes.
4,0
Medical Management Division, Fast paces, working with hospitals, Drs, Sisters and Nurses.
Pre-authorisations of all hospital procedures. Working with ICD
Pros
Incentives
3,0
Busy call center and enjoyable
I learned to work well with a team

Management was not the greatest
Great work culture and values
The hardest part was incentive as well as salary

I learned something new on a daily basis
Pros
Great company to work for in regards to personal growth
Cons
Salary
3,0
I Joined Discovery Holding inexperienced and I have the opportunity to learn from the best. The mentor ship and management was supportive and they adhere to their values
Pros
Lot of team building
5,0
Management of People and conduction research and compliance related research about insurance policies, Deal with daily administration. Assisted other employees with various tasks which they struggled with. Management of Office.

I learned how to deal with situations, Meeting deadlines and the ability to interact with people from all paths of life.
Pros
Insurance, Vitality, Bonus, Salary Increase
Cons
Long hours, A lot of work
3,0
It was very exciting to go to work because you come across different challenges from day to day. I enjoyed section 14 transfers and worked well with management and co workers. The hardest part of the job was to keep financial advisors happy by processing their requests timeously in order for funds to be invested for them to get their commission in time. The most enjoyable part of the job is that it was an easy job and a lot to learn on a day to day basis.
Pros
Incentives
Cons
Long hours of over time
5,0
Discovery holdings is a pressurized work environment in a very positive way as this helps you keep you on your toes constantly. There's always opportunities to learn and grow and management supports its staff. Team support is critical in this ever changing environment as team members need to feed off each other's knowledge base.

The hardest part about my job is taking out the emotions when making business decisions. The most enjoyable part is the freedom that is allowed by management to do tasks at your own pace, as long as targets are met constantly, it's the freedom of not being micro managed.
Pros
Contant growth potential and free/discounted gym membership
Cons
Parking facilities(paid monthly) and unsubsidiased medical aid
5,0
You are always encouraged to do your best and to think outside the box, management is very approachable with new ideas and encourage innovation. The hours are long and the work can be stressful, but everyone works hard and you feel you belong in a company that is intent on winning and always being one step ahead.
Pros
Fast paced and fast changing
5,0
I have learned to believe in myself
I have learned a lot in HR, I'm satisfied

Management is excellent
Discovery People are great, supportive and encouraging
I haven't found anything hard.

Everything is enjoyable around here.
Pros
Never
Cons
Never