Edgars
Coronavirus update

Edgars Employee Reviews in Johannesburg, Gauteng

Johannesburg, Gauteng41 reviews
3,0
Be prepared to work long hours beyond contractual obligations. No stability and excessive changes by management. Difficult work culture and very little work life balance.
Pros
good salaries at higher levels
Cons
No work life balance
A normal working day
I have learned how to communicate with different types of people

I had great management

I also had great co-workers

The hardest part was communicating with my assitance manager

Communicating with customers
4,0
The managers are good and understanding to work with, the stuff is also good team to work with, always there to assist when in need of help.
Pros
Free transport for late workers
Cons
Must give out a certain numbers of cash cards a day from reluctant customers
5,0
Working at edgars store it was very nice the staff is very friendly and we work as a team, we respect each other together with our clients
Pros
tea break and overtime for lunch
4,0
It was so exciting to work with different cultures of people and it was my first time working in a big company.i learnt how to communicate with people,handling different queries and taking decisions on behalf of the store.i also learnt how to take responsibility about the things i am working with as i was working with expensive and risky stock.(cellphones, wacthes and jewellery)
3,0
The job was professional but working through an agency at a retail yields lessor payments although the staff was welcoming and decisive in caring out their duties.
Pros
free transport after hours
Cons
lower salaries
good communication
management treat one everyone well

enjoy making big sales

handling customers objections

serving all customers equal

giving all my the to the company

sharing ideal on the meeting
5,0
assisting customers and advertising cosmetic products
I learnt how to advertise and promote

management is very understanding though they very strict about time

my co workers are fun to work with we make a good team

hardest part is when a customer is not satisfied and comes and gives you attitude

best part is when a customer is happy
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
disgruntled customers
3,0
I would love to work at edgars learning new things and usure that I do my work properly I will not disapoint my manager you will not be sorry on giving me a chance
Pros
free lunches
Cons
normal hours
5,0
It sometimes get busy, but i can live with that because i love to work.

I have learned to work well with people as a team work.

The management is perfect, our managers shows us by example.

Co- workers are the best especially the one i work hand in hand with them.

The hardest part of the job is that i work as a casual.

I enjoy working, but is always difficult for me knowing that i am casual.
Pros
No free lanches
Cons
We work long hours once in a while, so no complain.
3,0
A typical day at work would be rendering services to customers, making sure that they are satisfied and happy.

I have learnt to be responsible, to be productive, to be self-reliant, to be compliant to procedures of the company,how to interact with customers and also to work to reach a target.

The management was motivate and encouraging as we would receive supervision from them. They made it easy for us to work.

My co-workers were as driven with customer services.

The hardest part of the job was to see a customer unsatisfied.

The most enjoyable part of the job was expressing my passion in being able to help or assist the next person in store (customer).
2,0
This is a nice place to work in, the weekend were the most typical or challenging days especially month ends where the store is so busy where you have some impatient customers all they want is to take what they want, pay and go, now one has to be there for them so that they dont get upset and leave the store due to long lines, when you dealing with this people you have to listern to their frustration and and explain to them why the lines are so long and what are you doing about them, in this case one learn to be patient and learn to listern and be in customers shoes, Management and colleaques are so supportive and helpful in reaching the company goal, the worsed part is when you deal with a customer who says they know everything or a difficult customer, one has to be very careful as to what you say to that customer, you need to win that customer over to you in order to solve his or her problem and I enjoy my job when I deal with those kind of customer because you end up learning one or two things from that customer as they will tell you how to handle them and once they are gone you use the same method to other customer and you end up not having difficult customer
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Extended hours
2,0
I would come in store and sort the clothes on the rails so they look neat and tidy for the customers, but most of the time I would work in the fitting room and assist customers who want to fit clothes. Co-workers were friendly, most of them. Management was supportive. Hardest part of the job was the rude customers and the most enjoyable was interacting with different customers obviously and seeing them leave the store happy and satisfied with the service
Pros
Cons
working long hours while standing
5,0
My day starts yesterday Planning & Prioritising the following day, - for my direct reports (Tasking) My day starts early being the first at my store, opening the day with an update to my staff on turnover, where stand and what we need to make Budget, Sharing promotional Ideas. Mangement given tasking and through the day follow-up to make sure we are on tract. Hardest part of my job was to get my direct reports to performance manage there staff.
I love my job, I strive to interact with my internal and external customers by giving the best experience in my store
Pros
make time to enjoy
Cons
7am - 10pm
1,0
all in all i really enjoyed my work at edgars city Johannesburg. if the salary was good and could maintain me and my family i was going to stay the for long time.
Pros
sometimes most of the time when we were very busy in the store they would bring lunch for us.
Cons
when need i would help the company and do overtime
5,0
i always had to take care of the new stock and be nice and helpful to the customers. ive learned a lot from this job, and my co-workers were really friendly to me. i enjoyed this job so i dont find anything hard in it.
Pros
free lunches
Work day - Stressful but challenging
Learned - Deal with challenges, assertiveness, developing new systems from start to end, JCL, accounting, interfacing with other systems, database design, working with VSAM files, translating Hex dumps, dealing efficiently with extremely large amounts of data during the time when space was limited and expensive, became PC literate, interacting with users and business analysts.

Management - mostly good managers who helped their staff to grow

Hardest - bad standby weeks, averaged 3 hrs sleep a night, in earlier times had to drive in, no cell phone or PC.

Enjoyable - challenges and opportunity to learn, grow and advance
Pros
Good experience gained
Cons
High stress standby
4,0
Working hard to be the best at all times. I'd go to management and ask for help were I was lacking. Working hand in hand with my co-workers helped us to achieve your goals.

As I was a service centre operator (S.C.O) some times queue will be very long and hectic, we'll face hardest time but with our good spirit to work hard, we'll work hard and over come the situation.

When you serving someone there, you'll wouldn't want they do for living, as you start to interact with them, then you find out that you been talking with the CEO, Dr, Teacher, Accountant, etc. and they all down to earth, and we were just having a normal conversation. That made me feel very special and inspire me to work harder to be were I want to be in life.
Pros
we'll get free lunch when we were ready busy, as a token of appreciation.
Cons
We work long hours during holiday times.
4,0
A typical day at work will be interacting with my customers and making sure I meet their expectation 100%. I have learned the importance of customer service, and the importance of the customer. I have learned supervisory skills from my previous manager and mentor and acquired a lot of knowledge. The hardest part of the job will be dealing with an unsatisfied customer, and having to go extra mile in order to satisfy him/her. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with customers, having to see them sharing their experiences, and trusting you.
Pros
Staff discount
3,0
- typical day at work is working long hours doing basically one thing serving the customers
-I have learnt to be patient with people and doing my work to the best of my ability

-I enjoy being with my co-workers because they help me where i have difficulties

-dealing with difficult customers

-i enjoy everything about my job
Pros
interacting with new people everyday
5,0
On busy days, we work underpressure in order to meet the target of the day, and i have learned to work with different kind of Customers, because i was working at Point of sale. And again i have learned to work as group and as an individual, the hardest part of the job it was when i was recieving the stock, packing heavy boxes without the help of Folklift, when displaying the whole shop, and it takes the whole day. The most enjoyable part of the job is i like physical job
Pros
free lunches
Cons
normal hours