EF Education First

EF Education First Employee Reviews

Great workplace no office politics friendly colleagues and clients

The best job I’ve ever had, no unnecessary stress and bad bosses, what an amazing experience to speak to people from around the world almost everyday and I have learnt so much about the world and cultures and languages.The management is empathetic and approachable. It’s an open door policy and a small chain of command. Great environment.

Pros

Two days off per week

Cons

Working on weekends

Great Working Experience

Terrible follow up experience - employee paperwork out of order and after trying to contact them through all channels available I still cant get a response!!! The matter is urgent!

Good workplace

An okay place to work. The management and supervisors are really helpful. They provide training and support. The pay is very low compared to other online companies.

Pros

Provides a secure job, good management.

Cons

Very low pay (hour and monthly) compared to other online companies. Also, the students pay a large amount of money for their courses, and what teachers get is extremely low.

Overall, EF is a great company to work for

Although the company didn't offer a good work/life balance, management was good and communicative.

Professional and relatively better pay than other similar companies.

Professional and relatively better pay than other similar companies. The management team is professional, the training program is well structured, the people are great and supportive.

Official response from EF Education First

12 November 2019
Thank you for your feedback! Happy to have you part of the EF family! We wish you all the best.

Productive working environment

EF is a very organized place to work in. You are provided with sufficient training when needed and the management is very supportive with regards to the completion of your work.

Official response from EF Education First

12 November 2019
Thank you for your feedback! Happy to hear you enjoyed working at EF. We put a lot of effort into making sure all our staff is trained in order to deliver the best possible training for our students. I hope 2019 brings more amazing opportunities your way!

Very productive

Excellent management Stress-less working environment Friendly staff Well prepared classrooms Safe working environment Excellent pay Flexible working hours

ESL teaching

The only pro was being able to talk to interesting people and learning about their countries. There's a really high staff turnover for a reason. The work keeps increasing but the salary doesn't. The student is always right. There's no HR, any complaints are seen as insubordination and getting time off can be very difficult.

Terrible

The students are the best part of the job. However the company itself should review their structures. The training is very poor, you will have to chase after management as they can take up to 6 weeks to respond to employees emails, absolutely no work life balance, no sense of self worth, salary is inconsistent and they will give you the runaround when you have queries and there is no HR which is a big issue considering the problems you will encounter here. The job consists of two parts, teaching and writing corrections (target driven).

Pros

Learning about other cultures

Cons

You are nothing but a number here

Great job

I had a great position as activities director. Got to experience and explore the myriad activities to do in the Cape Town area.Doing a different activity each day with the students. A great deal of socializing, planning, event coordinating. Great time in my life. Very exhausting however with long hours and few off days.

Pros

Take part in numerous outings and activities.

Cons

Long hours, too much socializing after a while

Teach English to speakers of other languages

Education first is an online based company English teaching center. A typical day is the is logging on to the computer and teaching English online, everyday. Your communication and grammar skills improve. Management is very unprofessional and not supportive. Also no HR. There is no workplace culture because there is a very high staff turnover. The hardest part of the job is motivating yourself to go there to do the same thing over and over again. The most enjoyable part is the students some of them are really nice and you really become culturally aware and tolerant.

Pros

No experience needed, very easy to get hired, no micro management, mostly clean facilities, communication skills improvement.

Cons

Work is repetitive, no HR for complaints, no scope for growth, no sense of worth from management, hours are incoveneient, low and inconsistent salaries, high staff turn over, extremely poor management that is very tardy with their communication, training is very poor, a very unhappy workforce.

Great work from home opportunity!

Overall the experience has been good, I get to teach people from all over the world. The lessons are consistent which means you get a steady flow of classes. I do feel the pay is abit less compared to other online teaching companies and I do feel like the pay based on a rating structure should be removed. A set rate would be better. The managers are always helpful and communicate well with us. Being home based makes this job a privilege that shouldn't be taken for granted. The schedule is flexible as you book weekly classes and your salary is paid on time. Overall a very good experience so far. I hope to stay with EF for a long time.

Pros

Steady flow of classes, You meet people from all over the world, Supervisors are great! Salary is paid on time

Cons

Salary is low compared to other online schools, Your rate per hour is based on the students rating, lThats only 2 cons other than that its excellent.

Productive and fun place to work for.

Management is good and the atmosphere is good, but the pay is bad and the hours are long. I would recommend this job to students and people that would like to progress on to teaching overseas.

Pros

It is a very flexible job

Cons

Hours are long and the pay is bad

Poor management

Although the work itself is easy and manageable, it can get monotonous and uninspiring. What's more, management is completely uninterested in staff matters and does not have any forum for Teachers' opinions. There is no room for growth therefore nothing to aspire to. Management is also very inconsistent with its treatment of all the workers. The pay is fine, it becomes the only motivation to keep working since you do get a performance bonus. The clients/ students themselves are great to work with. They are often eager to learn and it's really great to speak to people from different countries and aid them in their learning process. I think management should offer debriefing sessions as not all lessons are easy - it is quite often that teachers experience offensive or hate speech from learners, which may affect them negatively. Staff turnover is very high, very few people want to be at this company longer than 6 months because of the management structure and inflexible work structure. This is quite concerning.

Pros

Performance bonus

Cons

Disinterested and inconsistent management

Environnement agréable

L'équipe de l'école du Cap est d'une très haute qualité dans un environnement et une ambiance agréable. Grande liberté d'action et bonne confiance de la part de la directrice. Travail motivant malgré le nombre d'heures demandées sur une semaine pleine mais temps de travail malléable à notre convenue entre mon manager et moi-même.

Pros

Ambiance

Interesting space to be in

* First thing I do is log on to my computer and prepare for my first class * I learnt to multi-task and balance work, as well as contain my emotions. It's not about me, it's about the student * I can't really tell you much about the culture. It's pretty much individuals to themselves * I feel unappreciated for the job that I love to do * My students remind me that I am giving them an intangible skill- speaking in English. Sometimes you take for granted how you can affect another's life so positively.

Pros

Talking to students from all over the world!

Cons

Value of the staff is not that great

Cool place to work at for graduates

Great place for graduates or people needing a more flexible schedule. The company also provides TEFL training to teachers and they pay for the qualification. You can change your shift. Night shift over the weekend earns the most money. Day shift salaries are very small.

Pros

Medical aid, performance bonus, opportunity to go to China

Cons

Long hours, little pay

Wonderful colleagues

I should have read the reviews about this company before I joined. They treat the teachers with the same unprofessionalism across the world. I tolerated this company due to the high unemployment rate and my wonderful colleagues. The job sounds amazing on paper but the fact that they do not have a human resource management structure is the number one gripe the teachers have. The payroll is done on an excel spreadsheet and our pay is hardly ever accurate. You would have months were thousands would be missing from your salary and no proof whatsoever of how because they use unreliable methods to keep track of our hours. They cannot keep up with their reward system and the only way to earn a decent amount of money is by working abnormal hours. You have absolutely no room for growth and the turnover rate is so high. The medical aid they claim to have is a hospital plan. It's a good place to start if you don't have a job, you get to interact with interesting students.

Pros

Laid back environment

Cons

Salary, unprofessional management

work hard nd fun games

Have a good hard working day. Learnt to help your strong nd weak points. Manage your work well. Co-Workers are on track. Coaching throw rainy weather. Playing games with the kids at the end.

Pros

free lunches

Cons

8:00 - 14:30

Fun

I learnt a lot at EF, the staff was friendly, they were patient and they knew how to communicate with us effectively. we had so many workshops that were designed to mek us better employees and teacher. They improved us a lot.

Pros

Free training

Cons

the salary wasn't that great sometimes

typical day at work

Mentor and advise international students on the importance of learning English, and how beneficial it is to them both personally and for their jobs. I have learned to be patient because learning a new language is not easy as it has many challenges. Co-workers are fine, they are dedicated at what they do and are helpful when I ask for help Hardest part of the job is trying to convince a student how English can help broaden their horizon and they still say they are not interested. The company is international, so I am working with people from all over the world and it is so diverse and learning so much about different cultures and beliefs.

Pros

free lunches

Cons

language barriers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at EF Education First. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• EF Education First