Emfuleni Local Municipality

Emfuleni Local Municipality Employee Reviews

South Africa29 reviews

3,6Work-Life Balance

Public service

Emfuleni local municipal is the municipality that works with public and ensuring the public is satisfied with the service You work with people Know different languages Have more skills Work under pressure Solve issues

Excellent

A conducive environment to work on. I have gained excellent knowledge and experience from Emfuleni Local Municipality that will help me work at any environment I find myself in the nearest future.

political interference

There are mismanagement of fund in departments, unable to make full payments on time. invoice would be 90 day +. incurring wasteful expenditure (interest).

Pros

training provided such as, Vat, Afs, Mfma, CPMD at Wits

Cons

no time frame for payments

Very challenging workplace

My job is to ensure compliance with OHS & COIDA, I have gained more experience in managerial field though there is much nterference from politicians.

Enjoy your work while you are working

I've learned on how to assist my partners because we worked in a group of four people. Be dedicated when it comes to your work , be productive in your place of work share ideas on how to make things work or better in your department.

a god place to work when you have exhausted all your career ambitions.

interesting and fun. different challenges everyday. opportunities for creativity exists with a lot of support and encouragement. career progression for hard working is there.

Pros

flexible working hours, you become your own boss but mus delivery

Cons

political interference

i enjoy working with people, i love teamork and i have learned alot on co ordinating conferenses

Co ordinating conferences and organising neetings, answering the telephone and giving useful information to the caller, on average, i enjoyed my job very much

Good place to work in.

The organisation is a local government sector and one gets to meet and interact with a lot of different people from various stakeholders. If you are passionate about your career there's a room for improvement and growth in the company.

Pros

Study leave

Cons

Time management

Challenging work as I work with different people

1.Day work is different because you don't know who will come to the office and for what. 2.I have learned that people are different in all aspect 3.Most of our people are not educated so I must offer help 4. The hardest part of the job is to deal with real sick/ ill people 5. The enjoyable part of the job is when you know how to listen, assess what is said and solve the challenge or problem at hand.

Pros

it gets quiet at times

Cons

Health challenges

Fun to work at

it was fun to work as a volunteer at ELM. they taught me a lot of skills that I'm even using to date. it was great to be part of the organisation as team work was ephasised

Challenging and fun

1.Uploading and updating curriculum vitae's 2.Helping my supervisor to co-ordinate projects 3.Arranging boardroom and meetings for my supervisor 4.Making copies

Pros

Exposure

Cons

Dealing with different types of people but i am getting there

dealing with PC's (ITC)

working with people that think they are better than others, not knowing where they come from, that's the biggest challenge. I learned that in life they are people who are just not going to accept you for who you are.

Service delivery

It is pleasant working at Emfuleni municipality,people are supportive and understanding,i am always at work from startingng time to finishing time,im always available for standby,report on time,keep customers happy,and able to explain what they do not understand.i respect every individual as i would like to be respected

Pros

30 minutes to 1 hour

Cons

10 hours

Fun workplace

The employees are fun to be with. I learned that when people work together they do more than what its expected from them. The Job was fun to do, very enjoyable

very healthy and productive workplace

we usually do things in groups and of course also individually if need be. it is a productive and nice workplace with a lot of respect from every corner.

Pros

helping each other

Productive place

Taking care of the basic needs of the community. Worked as an HR intern for a period of 2years. Worked as an Admin assistant for Human Resource mangers, Employment Equity Manager and Land Use Management manager for a period of 1-2 years.

Pros

Workers Unions, 13th cheque

Cons

Healthcare, Pension funds

Educative and welcoming environment

The municipality is located in the Gauteng Province. It is the biggest local municipality in the country after Metropolitan Municipalities. It forms part of Sedibeng District Municipality. The municipality has a wide range of programmes that exposes workers to a variety of developmental choices. The lack of financial management skills hinders progress on service delivery and community satisfaction. I was the Member of the Mayoral Committee, working as portfolio head reporting to the Executive Mayor. Among the duties I performed I interacted with various stakeholders in ensuring policies are interpreted & relayed properly to the community. I monitored the implementation of revenue enhancement strategies, maintenance of waste management strategies, the implementation of local economic development strategies. The risks entailed in the job are political in nature. Developmental aspects are more enjoyable.

Pros

Educational programmes

Cons

Access to the institution after hours

Productive and learning environment

I spend most of my day dealing with employee grievances, disciplinary hearings and conciliations and arbitration as per the schedule of the day. My job helps me to learn how discipline is important in the work environment. Our management does not interfere with the decisions of the disciplinary hearings. Our workplace culture is conducive to new and old employees and it is difficult to change it as a new employee or manager. The hardest part of my job is when I am appointed to preside over the disciplinary hearing and you dismiss an employee. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I am initiating in the disciplinary hearings and you deal with cross-examination and closing arguments and quoting decided case law to substantiate your case.

Pros

learning

Dinamic and challenging work environment

It is a challenging work environment which is heavily regulated. New things are learned everyday and the environment gives you room to explore. The Municipality afforded me an opportunity to develop HR related Policies, HR Strategies and HR procedure manuals. The HR Department administer HR to approximately 2800 workforce. The Municipality equipped me with presentation / workshop handling experience on HR related activities. One has also acquired experience in Employment Equity and compliance by working as Manager Employment Equity.

Pros

Attractive benefits i.e Car allowance, Cellphone allowance and pensions

Cons

Politicaly driven, therefore sometimes makes it difficult to ensure compliance with laws and regulations

Meeting with different people

Sharing information and education the community on relevant,existing cronies. Identifying the need around community. Giving out resolution to the problems arising.

Pros

Getting to know your ward

Cons

Less opportunity grown

productive and fun

The company helped me a lot with the exposer because i was new from the university and i had no job. my boss was the best and he tout me so much i was his administrator but i did most of the communications duties with him.

Pros

free lunch events

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Emfuleni Local Municipality. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,6 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance