Gauteng Department of Education

South Africa268 reviews

Clear
3,6Work-Life Balance
3,5Management

Work culture and team work needs a lot of improvement. Management style was too Autocratic.... It needs to be loosened up... There was no proper direc

Work culture and team work needs a lot of improvement. Management style was too Autocratic.... It needs to be loosened up... There w as no proper direction that leads towards attainment of organizations strategic objectives. This was dud to lack of proper planning. Lines of communication were also not clear,

Good results

Teachers are not working nice in schools oppressed by the management especially when iy comes to the allocation of the time table. Working ratio is not considered post level 2 HOD's allocate few hours and classes 2 to 4 with only one subject and high grade 11 to 12 for themselves while PL 1 teaching 3 to 4 subjects with more than 10 classes of lower grades 8 to 10

Demoralizing workplace

The place is poorly managed. HR is non existent, which results in poor staff morale. Bullying and Cadre deployment is rife. There were even claims of witchcraft among some employees. Not the most positive place to work. I was relieved when I left!

Fantastic, clean and neat

I would like to be part of them indeed, we learn so much in that company, not only hand work but also how to respect each other, and also the work, not forgetting time management. And the dressing code is also important. Working longer hours. It helps to become stronger, and you can learn how decipline yourself.

Pros

Free work shops

Cons

Working over time

Business units functions in isolations

I discovered even when you have good employees and systems but management who is not good it's impossible to achieve anything. Working here isn't good.

Pros

The working envoronment is not challenging at all.

Cons

Employees does one task every day, weeks and months.

good work environment and poor managing

its very good place to work since its a science center where we engage learners on science activities and workshop but management doesn't promote innovations and value the employees.

Teachers must see learners as their clients

No resources or development provided. Overcrowded classrooms. Teacher must clean classroom as the general assistant staff wobt and management too scared to tell them to . District officials just as bad, in fact they are ex classroom teachers who were not as good when appointed as teachers

Gauteng is leading in education performance

I make the day of my work excellent because I have control over that. I am presently highly developed through workshops. Management is tough due to ignorance caused by leadership that bought positions. When I was acting as a Deputy Principal I was told that I must not be too sure about the position because positions are sold. Indde there was lot of drama around the advertised. The saddest part is that she cannot deliver and she bullies me. until she was appointed. Tand Deputy principals post and she was appoj

Collaborative working condition

Developed office management skills and how to handle diffrent types of situation- dealing with both internal and external stakeholders, time management. Learned on how to manage the office of the senior manager and liase with the office DDG, HOD and MEC.

Fun working environment

Low productivity levels was experienced from co- workers. Workplace culture not very productive. Overspending of budgets and a lack of control over expenditures. Lack of responsibility and accountability by Managers and Supervisors are the order of the day. There is also a lack of sustainability in the work processes and policies.

Stimulating and exciting

Culture of work is studious and industrious. Each person works independently as a team member. Interaction with other directorates and their line functions are exhilarating. Hardest part of the job is getting to meet personnel that are field workers and setting an appointment as their work is client driven. Management is supportive and encouraging.

information and fulfilling

Monitoring of content coverage by educators Monitoring of learners work Communicating with parents Pastoral Care Refer Learners with difficulty to District Develop Responsibilities for Extra and Core Curricula Activities Communication Conflict Management Time Management

At first as a new entry in the job market it wss exciting and enabling to those who seek to gain work experience.

I was exposed to working with parents, educators, principals as well as office based staff on my office, head office and district officesNot being office bound was very exciting for me. However ifelt stagnant and not developed. Ethical conduct is one of the principle I value high, I felt it was not upheld.

Pros

Medical aid, housing allowance pension fund

Cons

No growth, no challenge, and watching nepotism, Management that is not educated, or no leadership style, No accountability and lack of objectives.

Department of Education it's best field as you can manage to multitask

I learned and gained lot of new characters of professional workplace and coordinating with high qualified people from different associations. I understood and coped to the point where management liked and trusted me with everything I do. Best program I have leaned is SASAMS which evaluate each school learner by capturing their marks for year mark to the final year report. Everything school has been doing I was involved at taking initiatives in most cases.

Pros

Contract

Cons

Normal

Lot of job opportunities

One of the well organised Government department. They belive in training their employees. Lot of growth within the department. They belive in internal training and take care of their employees.

Pros

N/a

Cons

8 hours

collaborative and fun

Collaborating with colleagues and interacting with learners was fun. the working hours are also manageable and you dont work weekends. the management is also collaborative.

Pros

school holidays

Cons

learner discipline

Intern and it was fun

. Everyday was a new at work. .You learn new thing everyday according the role you're doing. .Management was good. .IT Technician .When systems are not working. .When we go out to sports.

Productive,Experimental and Fun

1.being exposed to new challenges everyday 2.i learned to log and attend to calls using company SLA 3.My management is fun to be with very effective in giving me experience 4.waiting for users to log calls and attend to it 5.The lack of resources expand the solution time we have 6.Everyday i attend a different problem and find new solutions everyday

Pros

Free internet Access

Cons

normal hours

very productive and a very working environment

A very good day at work as i learn so much like on how to receive process, capture clients details, emails, file some documents, etc. The management is so good as there's communication and team work. So far i cant think of any hard part of the job and most enjoyable is the people are so friendly you really feel like you at home and makes things easy for one to work.

Pros

when there's no work we leave early

Cons

The department has a potential to provide quality of teaching and learning.

Long working hours, there is a good team work spirit, I acquired effective management skills. It provided a professional environment of monitoring and supporting schools. It requires lot of hard work and sacrifices.

Pros

Security

Cons

Governance

Effective workplace

I learned a lot while working, team work was important and I gain many skills. The management was well mannered and they allowed me the opportunity to learn how to work hard and be effective.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gauteng Department of Education. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,6 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance