Gauteng Department of Education

South Africa268 reviews

Clear
3,6Work-Life Balance
3,0Pay & Benefits

It was educating, entertaining, peaceful and increase your joy

It was helpful working under the Gauteng department of education,we were taught many things in a short period of time and that's what I liked more from the department and its workers

Pros

Your own lunch and transport

Cons

Normal 9 hours a day

It was very good and I enjoyed every moment at work

It was worth it I loved my job to the fullest and I wish to work for Gauteng department of education again it helped me grow my experience and I feel the need to work for Gauteng department of education

Pros

Had enough lunch time and treated fairly

Cons

I worked reasonable hours

Stressful and underpaid

Teachers in South Africa work under a lot of pressure. Time constraints, pressure from the GDE, pressure from the parents and we can't discipline learners now we have to work with ill disciplined kids. We are under paid. Teachers cannot afford luxuries. We live from hand to mouth.

Pros

Security

Cons

Insufficient salary

Business units functions in isolations

I discovered even when you have good employees and systems but management who is not good it's impossible to achieve anything. Working here isn't good.

Pros

The working envoronment is not challenging at all.

Cons

Employees does one task every day, weeks and months.

The GDE aims to provide a holistic approach to each learner and to give learners education of a high standard.

A Holistic approach means all stake-holders at a particular school aim to provide each learner with the best all-round education in order to develop each learner’s full potential. During the time I was with the GDE we committed al of our resources to give equal opportunities to all our learners to be educated to the highest possible standard of each learner’s ability.

Pros

Security, salary, benefits, holidays.

Cons

Resources, overcrowding.

Very relaxed environment

Family orientated Benefits Study opportunities Performance bonuses Vacation leave Growth opportunities Promotions very unlikely Annual salary increases Medical aid Housing/rental allowance

Productive and fun workplace.

I admire the work ethic of the workplace. In such a workplace consistency is key and so as accountability. Punctuality should be your priority always stick to the norm.

Pros

We had transport and Lunch allowance.

Cons

12 hour shift, Monday to Monday.

Productive and Fun workplace

I may work overtime arcoding to contract, also propose to work in any form of teamwork and always ready to challenge any work ethics plus work in any form of working environment etc.

Pros

Free lunches

productive and fun environment

I learned how to work with people who come from very different environments and backgrounds but we managed to get the job done to give matriculants fair results.

Pros

great compensation for overtime

Fun & productive place

I was actually volunteering it was a nice experience because it was the first time in a working environment, the staff was friendly and very supportive... As I was volunteering i didn't receive any salary but one of the coordinators would work with me & pay me from her own pocket

Pros

free access to appliances

Cons

Progressive pay for the work done

I believe that there is no profession that could pride itself on its own had it not been of education. Educators need to be recognised for their hard work. The lot that they sacrifice to ensure that the country is furnished with quality learners that are fit for further institutions and later go into the difference sectors.

Pros

Fairly long school holidays

Cons

Low pay

The environment is productive and it allows for growth in different sections. There is enough material to work with. The addition of smart boards have improved the effectiveness of teaching

Pros

Security of the job

Cons

Salary takes a while to be paid out

The department has a potential to provide quality of teaching and learning.

Long working hours, there is a good team work spirit, I acquired effective management skills. It provided a professional environment of monitoring and supporting schools. It requires lot of hard work and sacrifices.

Pros

Security

Cons

Governance

Looking for a challenging work environment

High work ethic, completely loyal to my employer,looking for a new challenge. I have great knowledge of the CAPS curriculum and goes the extra mile when it comes to extra mural acticities A great team player!

well managed place

working at mogale city library was the best experience ever, i never felt sidelined in anyway because i was always recognized by the top management as they always trusted me with the most important tasks.

Pros

free trips

Cons

working on weekends

Worked under difficult conditions

Worked under difficult conditions with so little salary. Only a basic salary. There were no benefits and there was no basic salary. There was no job security and I worked as a temporary employee

Pros

Learning from peers

Cons

Little salary

productive - energitic

the day at work was filled with joy and happiness ans we put our differences aside and we just worked together as a team.I learned that team work is the best and I have become very punctual and hardworing

Pros

free meals

Cons

long hours very short breaks

Fun place

It's been an exciting time for me working there i really enjoy it the staff is amazing,I'm an intern there so that means that i don't get any benefits

Pros

Knock off early during school holidays

Cons

No benefits

productive

i have learned how to manage my time time and work that i have been given,how to communicate well with people in the work place and i can work well under pressure and able to malty task

Pros

none free lunches

Cons

cleaning and maintenance of school and messenger

I am willing to work under pressure in a limited time and I am humble to everyone, respectful. I am expecting to take orders from my seniors, and be presented all the time.

Pros

i am expecting any kind of offer like using my own or free lunch

Cons

depending on workload

ok

Assist the school coaches and Art teachers in selecting learners for specific role in the sports, arts and culture department. Manage school equipment and help organise school events.

Pros

Few hours

Cons

Small Salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gauteng Department of Education. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,6 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance
3,0 out of 5 stars for Salary/Benefits
3,5 out of 5 stars for Job Security/Advancement
3,5 out of 5 stars for Management
3,6 out of 5 stars for Culture
  • Gauteng Department of Education
  • Pay & Benefits
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?