Hatch

Hatch Employee Reviews

South Africa51 reviews

3,9Work-Life Balance

Looking after their people

Most of the business value of Hatch comes from the time they sell on projects. People are their biggest asset and they realize it. They try hard to look after their people

Good environment

Excellent atmosphere & friendly staff.Enjoy all the various courses been held on site.Very proffessional staff.Beautiful offices.Only problem is traffic in afternoons when knockoff time.Earlier knockoff time @ 15:30pm will help for not getting caught in heavy traffic.

Pros

Beautiful environment & area

Cons

Food discount for staff

Really liked working at Hatch

Quiet and clean environment, most people were very friendly. Work/Life balance is excellent, and they allow "Remote" working which helps a lot.Also the fact that there is a great catering company on site makes work life more simple, as one does not have to worry about packing food.

Pros

Worked flexy hours

Cons

There are some management issues within departments; but over all Hatch's CEO's are excellent.

Hatch is an amazing company.

Hatch is an amazing company there is a lot to learn as it has a lot of projects and one could gain a lot experience to build their career. The work environment is healthy. There are a lot of deadlines to be met and one has to make sure they meet them on time.

Mind numingly tedious

I've worked at Hatch for a few years as a junior engineer. The first thing is it is extremely boring. Pretty much every day was a struggle to find motivation and just waiting until you could go home/weekend. I know pretty much every electrical, "systems & process control" and mechanical Junior engineer feels the same way. You just end up curating various lists of things Excel. There is nothing challenging or interesting to do. You're underpaid for the amount of hours and stress you put in (it may be boring but its stressful as well, a great combination!). They do not up-skill or have any formal training. I guess that's because they want to keep everyone cheap and you don't actually need many technical skills to create Excel lists. They are reluctant to offer decent raises unless you get an offer from somewhere else, then they will match that. There is very little creativity, its just copy and paste from previous projects. Working at Hatch is literally the worst thing that has happened to me. I did not enjoy even one task I was given for the first 2.5 years. It is a really bad place to work as a junior as you get given all the menial task to do, and don't get much technical experience or get up-skilled. I know Hatch ranked in the top 3 best employers of young people in SA, but it's rubbish. I think it must be from other offices or newbies who are still in the honeymoon phase. Ask anybody who's worked there for a year and see if they enjoy it. Almost everyone has resigned by 3 years or when their bursary commitments are paid off. And the management are aware of the issues but -

Good place to work if the economy stays strong

Hatch presents a good company to work for, but presents a highly corporate environment with many challenges. Typical to the consultancy environment the job aligns with hours booked and if the company struggle to win projects, you as an individual may lose your position. During a strong economy, the company presents many opportunities related to skills development, opportunities to grow and become involved in diverse client engagements. The job culture requires a lot of input. The company presents an accepted salary but they comprise of no bonus system. During good times they give you additional compensation that presents about 6% of your monthly salary. The management varies and typical to consultancy it presents a competitive environment. Therefore management tends to look after themselves first and always attempt to find a way to stay billable. Sometimes to the disadvantage of staff members. The hardest of the job involves the billability aspect and if you not an engineer it may become difficult to stay afloat because of minimal management support. Overall it stays a good company to work for during strong economic times.

Pros

No pros

Cons

Healthcare

Complex business with many subsidiaries and departments

Fast paced high turnover of staff. Constant liaison with the various leads in the different departments and continuous follow up both nationally and internationally

fun place to work at

pressurized environment, management and higher all work in an interconnected style with all levels of staff. staff members have excellent benefits and motivators

Fun work place

Such a great environment with great support structurer, friendly staff and good management team that very supportive to staff.Easy to get used to work because of culture free environment.

Growth

Good company to work for under no circumstance, but its a company that has rely on one business sector, that doesn't build a security for feature investment.

Pros

good educational structure

Cons

Long hours, improper planning by certain individuals

Company Purpose,Vision and Values

The company is very Diverse in a very good way, a lot of career opportunity for employees and there are opportunity for staff grow and you get to be exposed to all different projects and this is how I have gained a lot of my skills and experience. Management is very supportive and the culture is of high performance and resilient. I enjoy Woking with everyone, from the client, legal team, engineers, project managers and directors.

Pros

Work/home life balance

productive but boring workplace

a typical day at work is lengthy but very productive,very boring though. The staff and management is friendly and accommodating, the company is located far however the working hours are fair, lunch hours are fair too.

Pros

fair working hours

Cons

boring environment

Productive enivorment with alot of open arms to guide the younger people

Good working hours, will a lot of work but manageable if the correct time management is put in place. Great people to work with , one number priority is Health and Safety, you will give every Friday around 10am the company gets together to discuss health and safely in our working environment including tips to be healthier and safer

Diverse EPCM

Hatch enables all engineers from junior to experienced engineers to engage with each other and gain exposure to international projects. It is a fun dynamic company where exposure is provided to multinational design teams enabling the best possible project solutions to customers.

Clean,healthy and fun place to work in

It was nice working there ,the people were welcoming and friendly. I was given clear instruction of what needed to be done. It was a fun learning experience.

Pros

Clean and healthy environment to work in

Very Productive work place

One's day starts very early, which helps avoid traffic and lowers stress levels. I struggled to learn from within the company, as people keep to themselves and do not want to easily share knowledge. Management is pretty much set in its ways and do not involve the "worker bees" too much in decision making. The workplace culture is very much, keep to yourself and do your work. Do not joke or play any kind of games, as there will be someone who takes offence. It is a very serious culture, and very difficult to become use to. I enjoyed getting to work early, and then being able to leave early, therefore missing traffic congestion

Pros

Arriving at work early, and leaving work early

Cons

Not a friendly environment at all.

Construction on site

Excellent EPCM Company Safety no 1 priority Good accommodation when work away from home Always well experience people in lead positions Always the right tools available to execute your job Excellent IT support always available Good PPE you get

Pros

Excellent EPCM company to work for

Cons

With the current market, no positions available

Good Company overall

Hatch is a good company with good values, however they struggle to implement procedures that are designed for mega-projects when working with small projects. this leads to difficulties when tendering for work and during implementation. A good work life balance is stressed, but this seems to be in theory only as it is not encouraged in practice.

Great environment to work in

I worked at Hatch as a Project Administrator on the Madagascar Ilmenite Project. Typical day at work was working with FlyAir to book flights to and from Madagascar for the project team. Great to learn more about Madagascar and its culture.

Great! Great! Great!

I've been around, but this place... boy, it was the most experience I gathered, fun, family company I ever worked for and with. Yeh, you get your off days but in the 8years I have worked for HATCH I would not even care. Your personal family is more important and they always have fun family days planned. Everything just work so well... and they are extremely professional! If I ever have a chance to work for them again I would be there faster than you can blink your eye!

Pros

One big happy family

Friendly and helpful management team.

It was a pleasure working with competent project managers and heads of departments at Hatch Africa in Woodmead, Johannesburg. They maintain good relations with their clients on a professional basis.

Pros

Parking and canteen.

Cons

Some difficult clients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hatch. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,9 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance