Hatch

Hatch Management reviews

South Africa49 reviews
3,0
Hatch presents a good company to work for, but presents a highly corporate environment with many challenges. Typical to the consultancy environment the job aligns with hours booked and if the company struggle to win projects, you as an individual may lose your position. During a strong economy, the company presents many opportunities related to skills development, opportunities to grow and become involved in diverse client engagements. The job culture requires a lot of input. The company presents an accepted salary but they comprise of no bonus system. During good times they give you additional compensation that presents about 6% of your monthly salary. The management varies and typical to consultancy it presents a competitive environment. Therefore management tends to look after themselves first and always attempt to find a way to stay billable. Sometimes to the disadvantage of staff members. The hardest of the job involves the billability aspect and if you not an engineer it may become difficult to stay afloat because of minimal management support. Overall it stays a good company to work for during strong economic times.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Healthcare
1,0
I've worked at Hatch for a few years as a junior engineer. The first thing is it is extremely boring. Pretty much every day was a struggle to find motivation and just waiting until you could go home/weekend. I know pretty much every electrical, "systems & process control" and mechanical Junior engineer feels the same way. You just end up curating various lists of things Excel. There is nothing challenging or interesting to do. You're underpaid for the amount of hours and stress you put in (it may be boring but its stressful as well, a great combination!). They do not up-skill or have any formal training. I guess that's because they want to keep everyone cheap and you don't actually need many technical skills to create Excel lists. They are reluctant to offer decent raises unless you get an offer from somewhere else, then they will match that. There is very little creativity, its just copy and paste from previous projects. Working at Hatch is literally the worst thing that has happened to me. I did not enjoy even one task I was given for the first 2.5 years. It is a really bad place to work as a junior as you get given all the menial task to do, and don't get much technical experience or get up-skilled. I know Hatch ranked in the top 3 best employers of young people in SA, but it's rubbish. I think it must be from other offices or newbies who are still in the honeymoon phase. Ask anybody who's worked there for a year and see if they enjoy it. Almost everyone has resigned by 3 years or when their bursary commitments are paid off. And the management are aware of the issues but - more...
4,0
Fast paced high turnover of staff. Constant liaison with the various leads in the different departments and continuous follow up both nationally and internationally
4,0
pressurized environment, management and higher all work in an interconnected style with all levels of staff. staff members have excellent benefits and motivators
5,0
Such a great environment with great support structurer, friendly staff and good management team that very supportive to staff.Easy to get used to work because of culture free environment.
5,0
The company is very Diverse in a very good way, a lot of career opportunity for employees and there are opportunity for staff grow and you get to be exposed to all different projects and this is how I have gained a lot of my skills and experience.

Management is very supportive and the culture is of high performance and resilient. I enjoy Woking with everyone, from the client, legal team, engineers, project managers and directors.
Pros
Work/home life balance
4,0
a typical day at work is lengthy but very productive,very boring though. The staff and management is friendly and accommodating, the company is located far however the working hours are fair, lunch hours are fair too.
Pros
fair working hours
Cons
boring environment
4,0
Good working hours, will a lot of work but manageable if the correct time management is put in place. Great people to work with , one number priority is Health and Safety, you will give every Friday around 10am the company gets together to discuss health and safely in our working environment including tips to be healthier and safer
5,0
One's day starts very early, which helps avoid traffic and lowers stress levels.
I struggled to learn from within the company, as people keep to themselves and do not want to easily share knowledge.
Management is pretty much set in its ways and do not involve the "worker bees" too much in decision making.
The workplace culture is very much, keep to yourself and do your work. Do not joke or play any kind of games, as there will be someone who takes offence. It is a very serious culture, and very difficult to become use to.

I enjoyed getting to work early, and then being able to leave early, therefore missing traffic congestion
Pros
Arriving at work early, and leaving work early
Cons
Not a friendly environment at all.
5,0
Well really a typical day at work, has had its own challenges, namely meeting dead lines, having to share working space with totally absurd colleagues, over and above I have learned quite a lot in terms work delivery, in essence productivity as well as project management, lest I was not in a management position I somehow from a far, learned how to handle projects and people just merely absorbing flair from our mamagement experts, however the management team as I have alluded they have been a bunch of the know how experts in their job trades, although now and then they would be extremely harsh on subordinates. The work place culture has had an immense positive impact to me in particular, the people the surroundings, the seminar's, the briefings, the catering, the environment, was one to enjoy and embrace, furthermore the buildings were indeed state of the art endlessly inspiring hard working behavior within the essence of my being. The hardest part of work was working overtime shifts, and the most enjoyabe was completing a time sheet on friday morning adding overtime hours.
Pros
Yes we had free lunches, most probably when its idle time
Cons
Yes we had long hours
5,0
Very diverse outputs during the day
I learn every day

Management has an open door policy which is good
Co-workers are diverse
The hardest part is to satisfy all

enjoyable- to work with people
Pros
Flexible working hours
1,0
not a good place to work, the people only think about them selves, the worse place I have ever worked at. I will never recommend anybody to work at hatch
Pros
no pros
Cons
terrible people
Fun to work at Hatch Goba
I've learned to communicate with clients in a warm manner

management is good
very helpful
working diferrent shifts

I love working with client and i love of what am doing
5,0
Good company to work for. Everyone was proffessional and willing to help. The management was excellent to work under. I learned a lot from staff members even out of my line of work.I mostly wnjoyed the social gathering
Pros
Cons
N/a
1,0
A Typical day at work is usually fast paced and fulfilling

I have learnt so much in terms of the South Africa Procurement process

Management tends to focus on higher level professionals only

My co-workers are for the most part really nice.

No performance management policy. Administrative positions very limited.

Working autonomously at times, and ability to develop systems and look at how to improve
Pros
Many for higher professionals
Cons
Salary & Benefits, job level inequality
4,0
Departmental rotation meeting different supervisors.
Different leadership styles and management approach
Pros
1 hour lunch was allocated
Cons
working hours are from 8am to 5pm
busy company
the culture and of course hatch send me to school to do receptionist, secretary, first aid and ipas

the management is good
my co-workers are also hard working and team playing
the hardest part of the job - is not hard as long as you know what you are doing.

most enjoyable part of the job - hatch has skills development, dinner dance, family day and christmas party
Pros
hatch has eve club whereby all ladies sometimes goes out for breakfast or lunch
Cons
flexible hours
4,0
A typical day would start by setting up your laptop, going through you e-mails,having coffee and start designing etc. Then to the canteen for a good breakfast and back to work again.
I learned a great deal of computer programs and the management and co-workers are friendly and helpful.
The hardest part of the job is working away from home and the most enjoyable part of the job is the friendship with the HATCH family.
Pros
the yearly function and family days are fantastic.
Cons
working away from home is part of the job requirement.