IBM

IBM Employee Reviews

South Africa210 reviews

3,9Work-Life Balance

Found 210 reviews matching the searchSee all 31 567 reviews

Productive, but can be stressful

A typical day has you interfacing with clients. Clients generally think highly of IBM consultants, and therefore expect a lot of them, but that's a good thing. I learned that delivering for the client is the most important thing; and often collaborated with colleges to deliver solutions. I noticed the clients did not care whether I collaborated or not; they just wanted the job done. Every project in software engineering has times when you work through the night because you are chasing some deadline, or trying to make something work that has held up progress for some time. It will happen usually during deployments, but it does not last long. those times call for real dedication, but after that you go back to regular hours. The best part is that as a consultant you are always working on a "new project" at a "new client", and so you have "new experience" which often feels like a "new job" even though you're still at your "old job".

Pros

Always work with cutting edge technologies

Cons

Job security is very low if you are deemed "average", Sometimes forced to do projects in foreign countries

the most enjoyable job

The Hull branch has a really supportive team and is a genuine nice place to work. I was new to this sector when I started with the Work Company and at the time I started I received all the support and guidance to help myself develop into a stronger adviser.

Pros

Free lunch

Very poor experience

Bossy and stressful, some people made one feel like to afraid to ask as one was made to feel stupid and the person responsible was a normal worker with a chip on his shoulder as he though he knew it all.

Pros

Cons

Bad salary and no one cares about the workers at Johannesburg IBM Cresta

Unpredictable daily workdays.

A new environment is more challenging, while you're at it you want to move, there's bottleneck on Managers not allowing you to grow and keeping you stagnant on the same role for their benefit. As an individual you need to understand that you're there to serve at the same time not neglecting your growth and aspirations.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, working outside your prescribed normal hours, taking more responsibilities than what anticipated.

Productive and informative

I started working at IBM with no sales experience and was taken aboard and taught sales skills with the IBM Sales School it was intense and demanding school I have ever experienced. They taught me about pricing, negotiating contract writing. The culture is diverse and impowering.

Not a Good Company to Work For

Not a Good Company to Work For Was Retrenched and a new Person employed after me. No Benefits and Lack of comminucation from managers to I.T Guys.....

Nurturing

Constant opportunities for growth and advancement. Opportunities for social contribution. Provided global networking and enablement.Highly effective incentive programs

Good place to learn

It’s a cool place.. things are flexible and depending on your manager you can work from home which is really cool.. the environment is chilled out and you can learn lots

A typical day at work

I usually start my work at 7:30 am ,collaboratively plan my day and make sure that the most urgent work get done first before it can get busy.I learn that that starting early will relief a lot of stress that comes with eight hours work.well hen it comes to management they always want things done.I get along with different cultures at corporate The hardest part of my job is when I can't find a solution for a problem I need to solve The most enjoyable part of my job is when I can come up with solution and quick

Pros

Free lunch

Productive, fun and informative

Enjoyed working on a team helpful and driven to achieve together. Had great team leaders I worked under. Work energy was great, would collaborate with other departments selling their products

Pros

Working with an energetic team

Cons

Change in working role

Welk okee.

Op je werk aangekomen de computer opstarten, bakkie koffie erbij, applicaties openen en wachten op de je eerste foutmelding. Rustig blijven al het probleem wordt uitgelegd en analytisch meedenken om tot vervolgens tot een oplossing te komen. Oplossing uitzetten en bij resultaat de cliënt informeren dat het probleem is opgelost. Management kwam je alleen mee in aanraking als het bedrijfstechnisch was. Bedrijfscultuur was typisch Amerikaans. Wat moeilijk was, was de rust op de afdeling bewaren als er niks te doen was. Het leukste waren de collega’s waarmee je buiten het werk mee dingen ondernam.

Pros

Trainingen en inspiratie.

Cons

Onervaren collega’s op de werkvloer die het verpesten voor de andere collega’s.

beautiful work culture

no micromanagement employees were trusted to carry out their assigned tasks management / employee communication on point peaceful workflow, happy customers

Fun

It was fun to work at ibm, i was given an opportunity to experience both the working environment aswell as the classroom environment , i worked on various projects that where mainly for school pupils, e-learning applications

My Thoughts

Collaborative, fast paced, interactive, a lot of meetings via phone webex due to being an international company, a lot of training available both face to face as well as online, learnt a lot about myself and my abilities due to the varying job roles I have had the opportunity to have.

Pros

Growth

Cons

Process Complexity

Professional company

As stated before , IBM offers a career for those willing to walk the walk and talk the talk . Its a great company and treats its customers , business partners , competitors and employees with respect.

Pros

Professsional

Cons

Salary not always great

Always challenging assignment but very interesting and flexible

Best company to work for especially if you are looking at developing your career technically and knowledge of IS/IT offers in the market. Options to travel and learn processes in other countries especially technically advance countries.

Pros

Extensive development

Cons

Complex International processes

Great learning culture

There is huge potential to learn at IBM and it was an incredible experience. There was a lot of international travel and international exposure to experts.

Flexible and good culture envirnomnent and career exposure so good and following Agile Stream to most of there project. Medium work that need more dedication and challenging not overstressing and fun environment to work on in it.

Good Learning Opportunity

This was a perfect introductory start into my professional career and learned about how IBM interacts with local software developers to develop their applications

productive

Responsible for the day-to-day running of a large iSeries operational environment. This includes batch job scheduling and monitoring, tape management and performing problem determination and problem source identification in software environments, problem analysis, evaluation, recreation, and resolution of customer reported and resolution of related hardware and software in a multiple customer environment. Johnson & Johnsons, Atlas Copco, Huntsman, Deutsche Bank, Gates, etc. - Operating I series systems for customers in accordance with laid down standards and procedures; Monitoring the system performance and user jobs; Data mirror ; MQ series - Robot jobs monitoring and restarting failed jobs; - Basic problem solving and reporting them to Application Developers and Engineers; - Backups and Restores; Backup and Recovery Media Services (BRMS); - Maintenance jobs, Reclaim storage and Library Re-orgs; - Provides end user support for IBM and AS/400 computer systems and warehouse applications. - Monitors entire computer environment during shift.

Pros

overtime payments was fast

Cons

shifts

Stimulating work environment

A great organisation to work with and always be at the leading edge of technology. Not one day is the same working at IBM. Stimulating, fast moving, changing, challenging. Interaction with many intelligent colleagues and clients.

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Based on 31 567 reviews