IBM
3,9 out of 5 stars.
IBM Employee Review

A company struggling to stay relevant

1,0
11 February 2021
Acquire and fire. I heard the phase, but I chose to be optimistic. That was my mistake. I was offered the position as part of an acquisition of a nationwide IT service department. We were promised so much; career discussions, opportunities to lateral movement, etc. Then my manager told me that I was "too good to lose". So I saw much less qualified colleagues move to gushy jobs in lazy departments, and then I saw that same manager get laid off and I was stranded in a dead end. They downsized skilled technicians to hire cheap entry level labor and my work load tripled. We all knew we weren't wanted and were seen as an expense in need of being dropped, which is eventually what happened. Luckily I got out before that time came.Ultimately IBM is a company who can't get out of its own way and refuses to hear any other points of view, even if it means their demise.
1,0Work/Life Balance
4,0Salary/Benefits
2,0Job Security/Advancement
1,0Management
2,0Culture
Pros
Pay was good
Cons
They think they own you.
5,0
18 November 2020
Complex bid manager (Former Employee) - Johannesburg, Gauteng
Loads of live and in house training available for the advancement of your skills. Being a global company exposure to the latest market trends. travel to sales academy's overseas paid by company.
Pros
Training
Cons
Corporate method of promotions very slow
3,0
8 June 2020
Technical Specialist (Current Employee) - IBM Century City
A new environment is more challenging, while you're at it you want to move, there's bottleneck on Managers not allowing you to grow and keeping you stagnant on the same role for their benefit. As an individual you need to understand that you're there to serve at the same time not neglecting your growth and aspirations.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, working outside your prescribed normal hours, taking more responsibilities than what anticipated.
3,0
26 February 2020
Audit Manager and Quality Manager (Current Employee) - Johannesburg, Gauteng
IBM is a company that helps employees develope their skill, so employees can stay relevant in a competative global market. At IBM employees are encouraged to become innovators and pioneers to drive the 4th industrial revolution.
  1. A company struggling to stay relevant