IBM
3,9 out of 5 stars.
IBM Employee Review

reliable job with workaholic culture

18 February 2021
IBM was the first career job I had out of college. It was happy to find a job at a big company where I thought as a fish in a big pond I'd have room to excel. What I discovered about IBM is that they are extremely penny-pinching when it comes to work and compensation. As a Global Business Services employee I was expected to work at least 44 hours, sometimes as much as 60 hours, and was still expected to work on proposals on the side. I was never able to obtain any promotions, raises, or bonuses at the company except by deliberately switching to a different departments.
2,0Work/Life Balance
3,0Salary/Benefits
2,0Job Security/Advancement
3,0Management
2,0Culture
Pros
work remotely, well recognized company
Cons
long work hours, difficult to advance, outdated technologies
5,0
18 November 2020
Complex bid manager (Former Employee) - Johannesburg, Gauteng
Loads of live and in house training available for the advancement of your skills. Being a global company exposure to the latest market trends. travel to sales academy's overseas paid by company.
Pros
Training
Cons
Corporate method of promotions very slow
8 June 2020
Technical Specialist (Current Employee) - IBM Century City
A new environment is more challenging, while you're at it you want to move, there's bottleneck on Managers not allowing you to grow and keeping you stagnant on the same role for their benefit. As an individual you need to understand that you're there to serve at the same time not neglecting your growth and aspirations.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, working outside your prescribed normal hours, taking more responsibilities than what anticipated.
26 February 2020
Audit Manager and Quality Manager (Current Employee) - Johannesburg, Gauteng
IBM is a company that helps employees develope their skill, so employees can stay relevant in a competative global market. At IBM employees are encouraged to become innovators and pioneers to drive the 4th industrial revolution.
  1. reliable job with workaholic culture